Your First Movie at a Theater or Drive-In

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve McGarrett, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Active Member Thread Starter

What was the first movie you can recall seeing in theaters as a kid. Who were you with and what do you remember about the occasion?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My first movie I saw was a reissue of Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, probably around 1959-1960. The first movie I can remember seeing at a drive in was Captain Sindbad [sic], from June 1963.

3. Ken

Ken Forum Resident

"Batman" (1966), drive-in, pajama-clad, driven there by my parents.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I really don't recall, but my parents told me the first movie they took me to was Daddy Long Legs with Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron. I was apparently frightened by the experience.

5. Star Trek II

6. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Sleeping Beauty in '59, with my parents in a theater in Linden, NJ. The dragon scared the $%#% out of me, I remember hiding in the lobby for a while. (We also went to a LOT of drive-ins down the shore in New Jersey, great memories.)

7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I don't know for sure but I think it might have been Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

8. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Goldeneye when it came out which I thought was 1996.

Steve McGarrett likes this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Earliest one I remember:
    [​IMG]

10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Captain Sindbad [sic] starring Guy Williams of Lost in Space fame!

I watched this myself a while back.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

I honestly have no idea what my first movie at a theater was. There are several Disney and films like Star Wars that I saw and should have been old enough to remember, but I've totally blanked.

I do remember this one. Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975).

[​IMG]

12. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

When I was a kid my Dad took me to movies like Shaggy Dog and Pollyanna..that was 1959-1960.
    My first movie as a 15 year old teenager with my friends was Goodbye Columbus and my family felt the content was a little mature for a boy my age.
    I realize there's a good chance that anyone who reads this would never have heard of these movies.

13. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I don't recommend it for a 4 year old but my parents took me to Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte with Bette Davis and Joan Crawford at the same age. Scared the c**p out of me and affected me deeply mentally. I can still remember the headless groom at the top of the stairs (or at least that is how I remember the scene). Bambi was nothing in comparison.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I saw Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte when I was a little older, about 10, and I gotta say some scenes scared the crap outta me, too. 4 years old is way, way too young for a movie like this.

15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

My first movie at a theater was probably The Music Man when I was around 4 (maybe even earlier). I listened to the soundtrack obsessively until I discovered the Beatles a few years later. I saw Midnight Cowboy at a drive-in with my parents when I was around ten, but didn't really understand it. I liked the music though.

16. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Active Member Thread Starter

So it might be a shocker that reveals my age but this was my first movie I remember seeing in theaters, summer 1993. Went with my brother, sister and dad. I remember we had to go to a couple different theaters because the showings were sold out everywhere. Finally found one. Great memory. I loved playing with toys that Kenner put out. Also looking forward to Jurassic World.
    [​IMG]

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Oddly enough, I watched SOUTHERN COMFORT in the rain, which was perfect, as the film was set in the Bayou.

18. DreadPikathulhu

I'm pretty sure I saw most of the Disney animated and live-action reissues that came out in the early to mid-70s. It's hard for me to separate in my head what we watched on TV and what we saw in the theater.

I do remember my parents watching this classic on TV, which, needless to say, gave me nightmares:

[​IMG]

19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

[​IMG]

Earliest one I can remember. I was about 4 years old and my parents took me. I recently revisited it via the Blu-ray and was not too surprised to discover that I understood a lot more of it this time around. :)

The theater I saw it in was a General Cinema twin that opened in 1965. I saw many more movies there after ISZ, and the old GCC feature presentation bumper used in the 60s and 70s remains imprinted on my brain.

20. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

The first time I went to a drive in was with the neighbors across the street in their VW van. I don't remember what we saw. 6th gradeish. After that it was with dates (in the old mans Pontiac Catalina - before I totaled it). I don't remember what movies I saw as a kid in theaters. When I was 13 my dad took me with him to see The Godfather Part 2.

21. Apparently I insisted on seeing That Darn Cat at the drive-in when I was about four and then slept through almost all of it..

carrick doone likes this.
  22. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Run, Cougar, Run (1972) - The little town we lived in (population 300) had a small movie theater that would tend to get movies about 6 months to a year after they had played everywhere else. I have a vague recollection of seeing this film in that theater, probably sometime in 1973 which means I was about 2 years old at the time.

23. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

First theatre film I remember was the original release of Disney's Peter Pan ('52). I thought they were real people! The same year at a drive-in I saw Disney's Snow White. The forest scene where the trees were grabbing her scared the crap out of me. I was five.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I have no idea what my very first movie was, I have a pretty poor memory. We had a small theater called the Majestic a short walk away so we went to the theater pretty often back then starting around 1967 I would guess when I was about 8 years old.

One of the first ones I really remember seeing was Lover's And Other Strangers, from 1970. My older brother took me. I love that flick to this day.
    [​IMG]

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It was either Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation (1986) when I was 5:

[​IMG]

or Masters Of The Universe (1987) when I was 6.

[​IMG]

I'm almost positive I saw Care Bears II in the theater as opposed to on video (I think I saw the first Care Bears movie on video ahead of time) but I can't recall for sure...

I know I saw Masters Of The Universe in the theater and even as a 6 year old I remember thinking it sucked and wondering why it was nothing like the cartoon He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe.

I liked the music in both Care Bears movies. Okay, I still do. :)

I can't remember seeing anything before those two movies in the theater.

The first (and so far only) movie I saw in a Drive-In Theater was Batman (1989)

[​IMG]

I remember the scene where The Joker fries the guy with the lethal Joy Buzzer really disturbed me because I wasn't expecting something like that in a Batman movie! I loved it and was thrilled when we got it on VHS that Christmas. I watched it until the tape wore out. It was the first movie where I noticed how terrific the score was and how it made the movie even better.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.