Your help requested. What are your jazz albums suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dennis the menace, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran Thread Starter

I'm fairly new to this forum and I'm a 54 years old music lover. I love rock music above all and have been deep into prog rock this past year, rediscovering Gentle Giant and King Crimson in particular. My love of rock kind of kept me away from other genres, so I'm still kind of new to jazz. I've got all the classics, thanks to a good friend that helps me, but I would like to go beyond that. Apart from the usual jazz classics, I would really appreciate your help guiding me toward unknown pleasures.

Your suggestions please. If you can also give me the best sounding available version, that would be a plus. Thank you.

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Maybe you could start by telling us all the classics you already have? That would save us the trouble of suggesting titles you already have.

3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran Thread Starter

Miles Davis: Birth of cool, Kind of blue, Bitches brew
    John Coltrane: A love supreme , Blue train
    All the jazz best selling albums (Brubeck, Adderley, Rollins) + some fusion albums like all Mahavishnu and Return to forever and Heavy weather by Weather report.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
    Grant Green - Idle Moments
    Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
    Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
    Sonny Rollins - Way Out West
    Oliver Nelson - Blues And The Abstract Truth

5. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Check out some Pat Metheny Group records - the ECM ones are a good place to start.

MKHopkins, ggergm and lightbulb like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Some other very important records from the same (50's/60's) era:

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus, Mingus Ah Um, Black Saint & The Sinner Lady
    Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners, Monk's Dream
    Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come

8. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Start with Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme.

Go from there.

There's lots of great jazz albums, but they never get better than those two, IMO.

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

^---Did not make it to post #3.

scotth, crispi, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  10. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Anything by the Keith Jarrett Standards Trio on ECM Records will sound great - that's piano trio jazz. For guitarists, you've got Wes Montgomery (his live album FULL HOUSE is great). To hear three great instrumentalists playing together, try TRIO BEYOND's record SAUDADES, also on ECM and featuring Jack DeJohnette on drums, John Scofield on guitar and Larry Goldings on organ. That is a great 2 CD 'live' album which sounds amazing. I could go on, however I'm sure the many other forum members will hip you to some other groovy stuff.

dennis the menace likes this.
  11. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

12. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music, Brilliant Corners, Live at the It Club
    Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
    Wes Montgomery & Milt Jackson - Bags Meets Wes
    Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus
    Tina Brooks - True Blue

13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Absolutely this. Wonderful, indispensable album.

14. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

John Coltrane - Olé + My Favourite Things + Ballads
    EVERY Duke Ellington meetings from the early 60's : Coltrane, Armstrong, Coleman Hawkins, Money Jungle (Mingus & Max Roach)
    Archie Shepp + Horace Parlan - Goin' Home
    Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
    any "standards" entry from the Keith Jarrett Trio, starting with "Standards vol.1" - the one that ends with God Bless The Child

15. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

U.K. self titled LP 1978

[​IMG]

16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm going to leave aside all the Monk, Coltrane, and Mingus - all of that is gold. Here are some somewhat lesser-known (not to jazz fans, but likely to you) artists and recordings, all highly-recommended:

Art Pepper - Meets the Rhythm Section, Smack Up, Gettin' Together
    Blue Mitchell - The Cup Bearers, Blue Soul, Big 6, Out of the Blue, A Sure Thing
    Bobby Timmins - This Here is Bobby Timmons, Trio In Person
    Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
    Cliff Jordan and John Gilmore - Blowing in from Chicago
    Curtis Fuller - Blues-ette, With Red Garland, Images of, Jazz...it's Magic! (despite the cheesiest title ever conceived), New Trombone
    Donald Byrd - Byrd's Word
    Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Big Band - Trane Whistle
    Elmo Hope - Hope Meets Foster, The All Star Sessions
    Elvin Jones - Very R.A.R.E.
    Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch, Outward Bound, Out There
    Hampton Hawes - For Real!
    Hank Mobley - Soul Station
    Harold Land - The Fox, Harold in the Land of Jazz
    Jimmy Heath - Really Big, The Thumper
    Johnny Griffin - Introducing JG, A Blowing Session, Way Out!
    Junko Onishi Trio - At the Village Vanguard, Vol 1 and 2
    Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen Trio - Friends Forever, in Memory of Kenny Drew
    Roland Kirk - We Free Kings
    Red Garland - All Morning Long (Quintet), Bright and Breezy (Trio)< A Garland of Red (Trio)
    Sam Jones - The Chant, Down Home, the Soul Society
    Sarah Vaughan - At Mr. Kelly's, Sassy Swings the Tivoli
    Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin', Dial "S" for Sonny, Leapin' and Lopin'
    Sun Ra and his Myth Science Arkestra - Angels and Demons at Play/The Nubians of Plutonia
    Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue

stodgers likes this.
  17. I am also a Gentle Giant fan like you, and, going a bit back in time, I was deeply impressed by vibraphonist Red Norvo's recordings with his trio featuring Charlie Mingus on bass and Tal Farlow on guitar. The arrangements and playing are quirky as hell (for the prog fan in us) and a great way of getting introduced to some fun old jazz standards and show tunes.

And Eric Dolphy and Thelonious Monk are also popular with proggers who are into (more modern) jazz.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    dennis the menace likes this.
  18. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Love this since it came out, but I always thought it would be filed under prog.

19. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Everybody Digs Bill Evans

papatwo and dennis the menace like this.
  20. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

There are many good suggestions above. I'll add

John Coltrane - Giant Steps
    Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

21. moops

moops Senior Member

The staggering amount of great Jazz records is pretty daunting as I've found since starting to build a Jazz collection over the last decade.

This is pretty handy ..... http://jazz100.sffjazz.com/index.html

And there's just as many gems not on the "essential Jazz" lists, such as .......

[​IMG]

Erik B. likes this.
  22. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

<-----this record (John Abercrombie - Timeless which is my avatar)...its amazing. On EMC vinyl is the only way to hear it too...if you like Prog Rock then this is right up your ally.

23. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Gotta agree with this recommendation for the OP, especially since he's coming from a rock background. Pat Metheny Group (1978) and Travels (1983) would be good places to start.

I'd also recommend Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters (1973), as rockin' a jazz record that has ever been made.

From there, if you like these guys, I'd go back to Empyrean Isles (1964) or Maiden Voyage (1965) for Herbie. They're more standard jazz and yet anything but standards. Herbie Hancock was/is so creative.

For Metheny, you can't go wrong with almost anything early from him, including American Garage and As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls, both by the Pat Metheny Group in 1980, and Pat's 1981's solo adventure with Charlie Haden, 80/81.

papatwo likes this.
  24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No doubt. I own about 1,000 jazz recordings, some on LP and most on CD. I've found more than my share of clunkers, but most of the time, I made good choices. There are a few ways to improve your odds:

1. Front man/woman - this is a no-brainer, but it bears mentioning. Although many players change styles over the years, (see Blue Mitchell going from Hard Bop to Soul and Funk), many stay within the same style. If you like one Monk album, you'll probably like them all. Same with Mingus. Coltrane is divided into three phases: 1) growth as sideman; 2) leader of classic quartet with some dabbling in the avant garde, 3) outer space.
    2. Side men/women - this is a key element; if you dig hard bop and find a record by someone you don't know and the rhythm section is Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, and Roy Haynes, or Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones, then you can pretty much bank on a strong record. So, check out the players you like and look for them in other situations.
    3. Favorite compositions - I don't know why, but someone could release a recording of Moon River on tin whistle and bassoon and I'd probably like it. So, take note of the compositions (many are from the standards pool) you like too.
    4. Instrumentation - check out youtube for various instrumentation formats. You may find that you really like tenor, trombone and rhythm section, but not so much guitar, vibes and rhythm section.

25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I've spent the last couple of years exploring jazz titles from the mid fifties to the mid sixties. Here's some jems that stand out in my mind plus some fusion titles you may or may not own.

1) Sonny Rollins - The Bridge
    2) Oliver Nelson Sextet - The Blues And The Abstract Truth
    3) Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
    4) Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares
    5) Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain
    6) Art Taylor - A.T.'s Delight
    7) Dexter Gordon - Go!
    8) Dave Weckl - Master Plan (fusion)
    9) Jean Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger (fusion)
    10) Al Di Meola - Kiss My Axe (fusion)

danielbravo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.