Your "In The Room" Moment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DannyC, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Good answer. One of my dreams is that Sterling filmed a lot of his recording sessions with an old 8 or 16mm camera and he will unleash them to the world one day.

2. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

Excellent topic - getting some really good song leads from the thread.

My choice = Blind Willie McTell - Bob Dylan, Bootleg Series Vol 1-3 version. First heard this outdoors on one of those quiet September nights when you can notice summer leaving. Like Bob was right beside us, shaking his head.

3. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

On a few of them, it seems like it was all he could do to press "record" on the tape machine...but, yes, that would be incredible, especially if the footage has the same look as his album art.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Way Out West - Sonny Rollins MFSL aluminum.

5. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think there's two styles though. You can have an in the room moment with an almost lifelike capture from an acoustic or jazz type setting.. Or you can find for example a rock track that's so full of energy and life it feels your in the concert hall with them (I would think the second type is actually harder to create as most songs of this type seem to have had the life sucked out of them at the recording and mixing stage)

6. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

The other night I was having dinner with my wife (restaurant) and heard this beautiful Bossa Nova type piano playing and really thought the piano player was behind the corner! Nope..it was a little stereo setup very well. I guess it was the open air plus other tables with people chatting that made the sound so real or lifelike.

7. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I don't know about the first but Archie Shepp on the "True Ballads" SACD allows me to sit right next to him.

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Are we talking the SACD of Muddy here? Or standard redbook? Couldn't dig deep enough for the SACD at £25ish, I don't think, but I am intrigued. I have an anthology but all my other Muddy CDs are later... Hard Again, Woodstock Album, etc.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Good call. One of many on my list though I can't think of any others at this exact moment.
    Seeing the above post, I'll edit to say it's the SACD which is the only copy of the album I have. I wouldn't mind having it on lp but that SACD is pretty spooky sounding in it's "you are there" vibe.

10. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Mark Knopfler - Shangri La SACD

11. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I also have to go with Folk Singer.
    Every time I listen, it feels like they are in the room with me.
    That is one amazing recording.
    Glen

12. I totally agree with this choice. This is the only recording I have ever played where one of the visitors at my house who was in an different part of the house thought there was someome singing live in the room where the stereo is. The MoFi Gold Disc is amazing.

Happy Listening,
    Craig

13. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

The 'Indian' instrument at the beginning of the Moody Blues' album In Search of the Lost Chord — 'Departure' is the track I think.

14. First time hearing of the Mobile Fidelity gold disc of John Mayall and Eric Clapton's "Blues Breaker" album. Compared to earlier releases this just sounded like they were standing there in front of me doing their thing.
    The 5.1 remix of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid man by Steven Wilson had me feeling that Greg lake was jamming on his bass right there in the room, for me personally.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.