Your Movie Collection ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Do you specialize in collecting any genre, or just a pot pourri of everything. ie; dvds blu rays ..4K ? How do you store them ..built shelf’s, in the basement/garage, mancave? Do you collect movie posters? Any other paraphernalia?

2. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

While I consider my collection to be diverse, I think some would find it weighted toward older films with a healthy representation of European classic films. For example I have over 20 directed by Ingmar Bergman. But I tend to collect films based on the cast as much as the director, with healthy numbers for all my all time favorite actors like Humphrey Bogart, Joan Fontaine, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Greer Garson, Clark Gable. I also have a number of war films. And rock music, too a mix of concerts and documentaries. I also add a few films that are new every year. Last year I added Dunkirk, The Florida Project. Newer films I purchase tend to be ones I saw in the theater that I thought I'd like to re-watch some number of times.

alexpop likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I just collect what I like. Half of my collection is of old TV show packages, some of which I still haven't watched all of.

PhantomStranger, Jrr, eric777 and 2 others like this.
  4. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I never buy something that I haven't seen. If a rented movie stays in my head for a couple of days, I'll usually buy it. I'd say my collection is off the beaten track with plenty of foreign titles. Very little comedy, a couple of dog movies. I like Great British films with all the different accents. (Angela's Ashes, Billy Elliot, Gosford Park). No comic book/superhero, fantasy, sci-fi (except for 4K versions of Close Encounters... and 2001: A Space...), or animated films are in my collection. Everything is pretty much drama. One of my favorites: "Notes on a Scandal".

SomeCallMeTim and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

Take notes. Yeah I like that Teacher/Cate Blanchett film.

6. alexpop

Would love more framed
    Movie posters, sadly not enough wall space.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm a Disney buff so I have a decent collection of those dvds and blurays. I also have all the legit video releases from the Beatles and Solo(and a few bootlegs too.) Other than that it's pretty skinny--the Star Wars movies, Lord Of The Rings trilogy, and a few concert videos (Stones/Springsteen/Rush.) As a random title I do have "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" because Don Knotts is awesome:)

TheVU and alexpop like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Used to. Felt good to purge all that crap! I can get anything online these days, so no need to have discs sitting around. Just like my CD collection. Gone!

Solaris and alexpop like this.
  9. alexpop

Some folk like collecting stuff,no harm.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I prefer blu-ray but will tolerate DVD or digital streaming, if it's absolutely necessary.

Genres mean nothing to me. I either like a film or I don't. I have a little bit of everything, but there is a focus I suppose on films of the 70's and 80's, the stuff I grew up with. There might be a couple sub-par Clint Eastwood films on my shelf that are only there because he is in them, though. Oh, and I bought a couple "Thor" films just so I could say I had a complete "Marvel Cinematic Universe" collection (I don't recognize "The Hulk").

I have a wooden shelf in my man cave (which has been pushed to the limit). This room also contains my music collection and my stereo, so it's getting a bit tight. My movie buying has slowed down immensely as I've got just about all the catalog titles I've ever wanted and my interest in new films is on the wane. I have about 700 titles. More than enough.

I do have a small collection of posters, which are displayed on the walls of the finished basement. Most are reproductions, but I do have a couple of originals, namely original 1-sheets and half-sheets of "Midnight Cowboy" (with original X rating) and an original 60's re-release poster of Hitchcocks' "Man Who Knew too Much" (Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day). I also have an orignial "Goonies" teaser 1-sheet that I am very grateful to have. I have original one sheets of "Foul Play" and "Family Plot" that are not currently on display.

Also on the wall - framed reproductions of "Taxi Driver" (this poster got me interested in movie poster art in the first place), "The Birds", "Jaws", "A Night At The Opera", "There Will Be Blood", "The Magnificent Ambersons" and a small reproduction of Hitchcock telling you that you must see "Psycho" from the start and not be permitted in the theater once it begins.

Not much else in form of memorabilia aside from some "Jaws", "The Goonies" and "Big Trouble in Little China" action figures from Funko hanging on the wall.

I always dreamed of having a home theater. This doesn't quite match my imagination but it will do for now.

11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

If I lined up all my movie cases side by side they would stretch about 6 feet. Half of those are concerts. I try not to buy movies anymore. I have a hard time re-watching things that I have seen dozens of times.

alexpop likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Used DVDs and only what I KNOW I will watch many times over a long period. This tends to be mostly science fiction, superhero, fantasy, horror or comedy. The shelf looks something like this:

Star Wars
    Lord Of The Rings
    Matrix
    Alien
    Terminator
    Mad Max
    Apocalypse Now
    Harry Potter
    Toy Story
    A Hard Day's Night
    Help
    Yellow Submarine
    American Graffiti
    Frankenstein (many versions)
    Back To The Future
    Austin Powers
    Monty Python movies
    Tarantino movies
    Sergio Leone movies
    Scorcese movies
    Cameron movies
    Tim Burton movies

13. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I have 102 SHAW BROS. films on DVD and about another 20 or 30 Hong Kong martial arts/kung fu/wuxia films.
    I guess that's my "specialty" collecting bug.

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Mostly Scifi and superhero. But have a lot of everything mixed in. Bluray and digital on bookshelf.

Have over 500 movies on Vudu. Some 4K but mostly bluray.

Do digital movie posters on some LED monitors.

alexpop likes this.
  15. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

After the fire I didn't get back into DVD/BluRay collecting. I had around 400 before but streaming finally showed-up and I didn't NEED to own the movies anymore.Right now we have about 20 children's movies we buy every now and then when we see them used for under $5 (in case the internet goes out). I only own one BluRay, a ComiCon edition of the uncut Verhoeven Robocop.

alexpop likes this.
  16. Lonecat

Lonecat King Of Fools

I buy a ton of Frankenstein films, any adaptation of the novel or even any movie with Frankenstein in the title and I gotta have it. I've been fascinated with Frankenstein since I first struggled to read the book as a 11-12 year old kid.
    Other than that it's just a jumble of everything I like . A lot of my favorite movies seem to have Willem Dafoe, Emily Watson, John Doe or Daniel Day-Lewis in them.
    The only movie related posters I own are several promoting the original 1931 Frankenstein film from Universal but having just bought another house, they are rolled up in tubes along with a bunch of my belongings in boxes in the barn.

alexpop likes this.
  17. stepeanut

stepeanut Crack, baby, crack

I have over 1,000 films, mostly on BD, and the collection is growing all the time. They are mostly arthouse and classic titles. Favourite period is 1940s through mid-1970s. I particularly like British, Japanese, and Eastern European cinema, but my tastes are quite eclectic. I’m certainly not above taking a punt on modern Hollywood titles, particularly if they’re in a charity shop or Poundland. Proud to say I own a complete collection of Masters of Cinema BD and DVD releases.

Storage is an issue. We have a spare bedroom, which I utilise for my film, music, and book collections, but it’s getting pretty crammed now.

I have a couple of nice film posters, including this limited edition (55 only of this foil variant) for the re-release of The Man Who Fell to Earth:

[​IMG]

The photo doesn’t really do it justice. This thing is huge, and the way the foil catches the light is really lovely. It hangs in our hallway. I had it double-stringed, so it can hang either way up, as intended by the artist, Tim Doyle.

I also have an original 1971 U.K. quad poster for Straw Dogs. That one isn’t framed yet, unfortunately. Again, this sucka is big:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, bru87tr and alexpop like this.
  18. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I've got a eclectic mix of maybe 150 movies, on shelves that I made.

I do have a near complete set of Hitchcock movies on Blu-ray and DVD. A bit of everything tho - action, adventure, mystery, sci-fi, romance (a few), comedies (a few), animated movies, music concerts, etc. I have quite a few films from my favorite actors - Jimmy Stewart, Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford, etc.

Examples:

A Hard Days Night, Help, Anthology
    Hell Freezes Over, Moody Blues Lovely To See You and Isle of Wight, P.M. Live in NY City, Best of Soundstage
    Brubaker, Jeramiah Johnson, All The Presidents Men, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
    Psycho, Rear Window, North By Northwest, Vertigo, Dial M For Murder, Saboteur
    Terminator I, II, III
    A Bugs Life, Up, Shrek, Finding Nemo
    Dirty Harry, Escape From Alcatraz, Gran Torino, Absolute Power
    Shawshank Redemption, Bicentennial Man, Se7en, Bone Collector,
    An Affair To Remember, Charade, 12 Angry Men, Duel
    Columbo Season 1, 2, 3

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Great posters !!!:righton:

stepeanut likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

BD... if BD is not available DVD is the last resort...

Matt Richardson likes this.
  21. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

My movie collection consists of a big variety of titles because I like all types. I still get the thrill of buying a physical copy & opening it too. I've had buying spurts at times. At one time my focus was on Disney movies, another time I would focus on musicals. Right now I am really interested in buying old classics from Criterion, Twilight Time,Eureka, etc. I am having such a big thrill discovering & rediscovering the old classics.

alexpop likes this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I have most of my movies on a shelving unit, but that's filled up now, and even with DVDs stored sideways on top of the vertically placed DVDs, it's completely full, so the overflow is in a box in the closet, while un-viewed titles (or TV series I will get to again when I want to watch another season) are sitting on the coffee-table in the living room...

I have a decent mixture of films, but the main genres are Westerns, some Action, some horror, and a few comedies... Main actors in my collection are Clint Eastwood and John Wayne... And my favorite movies, the original "Planet of the Apes" series, holds the first place on the top shelf of the shelving unit... I'd say overall, my collection is a50/50 mix of movies & TV series...

apesfan and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

I have the planet of the apes ( gorilla head) complete dvd collection. I’ll be building another 200 dvd ( or blu ray shelves ) soon. Have other space already allocated for another few hundred I’ll be getting rid of about 50 titles this summer ( thinning the herd).

apesfan and Grand_Ennui like this.
  24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Pot pourri would be about right. Store everything including most music in my mechanical room/converted bedroom behind my in-wall audio/video system.
    Photo's on my profile.

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  25. alexpop

Nice setup!!!!

Tim 2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.