Your short list of most iconic audio products

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well back in 1972 my very first system was...
    Amp - Dynaco ST400 from a Hi-Fi shop that used it as a speaker demo amp for a year or so.
    Preamp - Dynaco Pat-5, built it my self from kit
    Tuner - Dynaco FM-5 - still have it, still works!
    Turntable - Dual mostly plastic but it came with SHURE v15 Type III cartridge
    Speakers - Built my own large speakers
    The setup ran with a few rebuilds for about 15 years, then the amp finally died and the shop working on it just could not bring it back.

For the next 15 years I moved around the country working and I had nothing, I kept some of the gear and most of my records.

1999 I restarted with eBay as my main source for parts - I rebuilt my original Dynaco setup except the Dual was replaced with an AR-ES1.
    I have since also used and still own NAD 2200PE, Crown CE2000, Phase Linear 400, more speakers than I can remember.
    Most of my current speakers are various Polk, Celestion, Radian and Klipsch. I had many BOSE speakers over the years but now only one pair of BOSE 302 PRO speakers.

I owned many Flagship AV receiver's from Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Marantz and Harmon Kardon, I still have and use everyday a Harmon Kardon AVR7000 and a SONY DA5700ES. I have a good supply of SONY SACD players, various HD-DVD players and various Blu-ray players.
    I no longer have ANY tape players, I lost faith in that medium after trying to play 20 year old cassettes that no longer had anything but noise left on them.
    I collect music on LP, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, SACD and yes even a few CDs.
    I rip as much as possible to WAVE files for storage on my media server, and yes I also have all my old CDs saves as MP3 files. I am also trying to rip all my LPs onto the sever but that project will take the rest of my life and I don't expect to finish it. Ripping CDs is easy, ripping LPs can take 10 or more hours for each LP and not all are successful.
    I could write volumes of information on cleaning, recording and post processing LPs but that won't fit here.

Cheers,

Tim 2 and GuildX700 like this.
  2. I have three turntables, all have SME 3009 tone arms and removable head shells with SHURE v15 Type III cartridges, I have another 9 head shells in storage loaded with the same cartridge. most have generic stylus a few have the Ed Saunders version of this stylus.
    It was my first cartridge and will be my last!
    PS - I have tried many others in the $100 - $200 price range, in that range nothing rises up to the old SHURE v15 type III.
    I won't ever spend $300 or more on any cartridge - ever!
    Cheers,

SandAndGlass and Wngnt90 like this.
  3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I still have my Dynaco ST 416 and a PAT 5 Bi FET. Swap them in occasionally to a few of my rigs.

I'm still into cassette, I own a few of the best decks ever made. Last night I played a 35 year old tape of me and my friend playing acoustic guitars. The tape sounded amazing all things considered.

The tape used, the original recording quality, as well as the storage conditions over the years make a big, big difference. The only thing I had to do with that tape was replace the pressure pad which fell off due to glue failure.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I really did enjoy my years with the SHURE v15 type III, but I did move on.

I have an Ultra 500, VST-V ultra group black SE, and a V15V-xMR. The Shure Ultra 500 is my favorite.

5. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I love my TECHNICS SL1200MK5 , best LP rig i have ever owned.. don't think i will upgrade for a long while....!

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  6. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Nor will I! Love the V15 III equipped with the Jico SAS.

7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Luxman M-6000/c-1000 combo.

8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

The Bang & Olufsen 2400 Beomaster receiver. With finger touch volume and input selection, remote control and rosewood side panels, it defines elegance and class. All of this in 1977. Shown here with the matching Beogram 2400 turntable and their Beovox C 75 speakers. These speakers were the only ones my parents let me install in their house and strategically mounted, they filled a huge room with sound.

The design of the Beomaster 2400 was so classic, B&O came out with two later generations, running into the 1990s, which completely gutted and redesigned the innards of the receiver but didn't change the outside dimensions one millimeter.

[​IMG]

tiger roach likes this.
  9. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Roland TB-303, an entire generation owes thanks to this little squiggly box!

10. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

11. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Jensen 6x9 coaxial speakers in the rear package shelf of a 70's era car.

These were driven by a add on FM receiver with 8 trak or cassette (I had both), and a modular power amp.......

Massive sound for the time......

Jrr and ggergm like this.
  12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I agree :D
    [​IMG]

Tim 2 likes this.
  13. Speakers: Quad ESL-63, BBC LS 3/5a
    Turntable: Linn Sondek LP12, Technics SL-1200mk2
    Disc Player: Sony SCD-XA777S, Meridian MCD Pro
    Amplification: NAD 3020

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Had EPI Model 70's in the back of my Beetle. Dangerous car. Great acoustics.

15. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Advent 300 reciever

Ron P., ggergm and konut like this.
  16. More amplification:

Pass Labs Aleph
    Ampzilla and Ampzilla II
    CTC Blowtorch Preamp
    Vendetta Research Phono Stage

Ron P. likes this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Around my college dorms it was these two, although I owned neither.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Memorable yes, but iconic ?

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The Universal disc player. I've had my Oppo 103 for just over 2 years now, and I still cherish it daily.

21. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

Linn Sondek
    Quad ESL
    Sony Walkman
    iPod
    Nad 3020
    Rega Planar 3

22. I'd say that the Oppo BDP-95 and BDP-105 certainly already deserve iconic status. The 105, and the 95 before it, is ubiquitous at audio shows--one of the go-to players in many systems.

SandAndGlass and ben_wood like this.
  23. Adcom GFP-565 preamp

I remember those sold really well and sounded great. Looks like Adcom is still around--how come we never hear about them anymore?

http://www.adcom-usa.com

24. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Probably should put the B&W Nautilus here as well.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Tim 2 like this.
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The mighty Crosley

[​IMG]

:laughup::laughup::laughup:

SandAndGlass, Aftermath and Nate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.