Your Thoughts And Experience With Last Record Preservative.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Douglas Souders, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian Chan

Adrian Chan Active Member

It is amazing that this discussing on Last preservatives has lasted > 1 yr! I don't have much more to add as all the benefits seem to have been mentioned in this thread already. I have used Last preservatives for the past 10 yrs on and off (I did not play records much intermittently in the past) and I have long noted the benefits described on this thread such as smoothened sound, better clarity and at times better dynamics. The "fuzziness/muddiness" of records disappears and that occurs even with cleaned LPs on RCM. I think the benefit is more noticeable if you don't use a RCM, maybe because you can't get rid of all the pops/tics and Last helps a lot in reducing them. After cleaning thoroughly with RCM using enzyme treatment, the remaining pops/ticks are likely permanent and nothing in the world can get rid of them but even then I have noticed reduction in volume & frequencies of the ticks/pops on some LPs (some nasty ones you just can't get rid of) . I do feel it tends to reduce the warmth of LPs at times mainly due to the increased clarity (reduce fuzziness which has caused a pseudo warmth) and precision. Believe me or not, I have noticed that LPs sound better with repeated listening using Last but that is not a blinded test so maybe it is psychological? Residual is interesting question. I doubt it but I have noted increased dirt left behind on the stylus after using Last on some LPs. This may just be due to some residual dirt not removed completely by my RCM as it does not occur frequently. I have also read somewhere that Last somehow helps to release dirt from the grooves with time. This may explain the dirt coming out from the grooves after playing, and may explain an improved sound quality after repeated playing. These are only speculations as I have no definite proof. It is expensive but I think worthwhile to protect those valuable LPs that you treasure.

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

So, does this indicate one should perhaps use an RCM both before and after application of LAST ?

3. Adrian Chan

Interesting point, I suppose if you do see some more dirt coming out afterwards, then should repeat RCM cleaning but I don't think you need to do every time. I definitely have a few LPs that I need to rewash afterwards and the pops disappear, but then it could also just be due to some really nasty dirt that require repeated washing (or maybe some residuals are left behind after previous RCM cleaning, e.g as I use enzyme treatment that can leave residuals and maybe the last rinse was not though enough).

To accurate assess this, we would have to set aside a number of LPs of similar condition, cleaned on RCM using same type of cleaning solution protocol and then do number that uses Last and a number that do not, and observe over time which ones have dirts reappearing from the grooves afterwards, but who has time to do that?? Unless your job is to sell Last solution to prove the point.

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Not only that, but with the expense of Last, who has the money to do it?

Grant likes this.
  5. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

One. Bottle seems to do quite a few records. I'm not through one yet.

6. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

You don't need much of the stuff. I often find I wet down a record more than I need to. You can easily get 50 records, both sides, out of a bottle. If you're careful, it's many more. Just don't forget to put the top back the bottle. Leave it uncapped for a couple of days and half the bottle will evaporate. You'll lose at least a 1/4" of LAST overnight, not that I've ever been that stupid...just last week. :nyah:

tim185 likes this.
  7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Ggerm,
    You use more than the recommended amount ?

8. ggergm

I'll put so much on the applicator it drips off. Wasteful. You only need a quarter of an eyedropper's worth.

9. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Get in the habit of using 2 bottles, pouring enough in a spare bottle to clean records during 1 session. I had the 8oz and used a 2oz as my "work" bottle due to spills. If I spill now its just a few drops (this stuff is expensive).

sean

10. Adrian Chan

Yes they are expensive. Use the large bottle which is heavier so you won't spill easily if you are willing to spend $180 . Should never apply this in a chiaotic environment, cannot be done in a hurry. I find the original brush from last too narrow so there will be waste from dripping away from it and it tends to load too much on the LP all at once and not spread evenly. I use a wider pad from disc doctor which works better though it generates more statics. And yes, just need to fill up a 1/4 of this magic potion into the applicator and make sure it stays inside the applicator before taking out of the bottle to apply onto the brush. Regards to the Last sticker, I place it on the transparent plastic of the record inner sleeve, and it can be peeled away later if you need to remove it for cosmetic reason etc. I guess you can also stick it on the outer sleeve plastic.

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So tonight I pulled out my copy of Nick Drake's Pink Moon which I bought new a couple years ago, but was a crackly, noisy mess. I wasn't able to return it where I purchased it, so I was stuck. Several trips through my Spin Clean did nothing to improve it.

It was one of the LPs I treated a few months ago with Last. At the time, there didn't seem to be much difference. I resigned myself to it just being a wretched pressing.

Tonight, I'm playing it on the same turntable as I did then, with the same cartridge ... and almost all of the crackle has vanished.

This is truly remarkable.

The FRiNgE and Dino like this.
  12. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I find , like wet cleaning...it may take a couple of plays for the full benefit to shine through.
    It's not a cleaning substitute,but I did find some reduced ticks from LAST, which was nice.

13. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The LAST applicators are intended to be used only once, and you throw them away. They are narrow for a reason, and understand that the fluid may not be not distributed as evenly as you would like. The LAST applicator bristles go all the way to the bottom of the groove, which gets the fluid well into the groove where it's needed. The wide cleaning wand, such as a Discwasher does not.. contrary to its size and zillions of bristles. (by its size we'd think it's a better made applicator but it isn't) Plus, the re-used cleaning wand is contaminated. What we think looks clean, isn't lab clean, and it needs to be.

Technique makes a difference. (as she said, haha)

I have a suggestion to help distribute the fluid more evenly. Dividing the LP to four points, 1 - 4, touch point 1, maybe just a 2mm stroke, then lift the applicator... touch point 3 at 180 degrees, then point 2 at 90 degrees, then point 4 at 270 degrees. Then starting at the 270 degree point, where there should be the last fluid from your dab/ short stroke, move the applicator normally over the groove all the way around. Advance slowly, better to not move it too fast. Lift straight up (no final swipe across the groove... just lift, 'cause this deposits junk in the groove) discard the applicator. Your records will sound better, I guarantee it.
    Steve VK

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  14. ggergm

I have not found this to be the case at all. Plus it doesn't make any sense. If they were one time use devices, a 2 oz. bottle of LAST would have to come with at least 50 applicators. You can treat at least that many records with a bottle of LAST.

I certainly change out applicators as they get worn out, and I used either a brush or a cloth to clean them after each use, but for decades I've treated many records with a single applicator.

I also don't go through the multiple point application procedure you mention. I just let the record rotate under the applicator as I apply LAST.

Pancat and The FRiNgE like this.
  15. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Agreed. Why only once and they give you only two and advise how to clean them ?

Pancat likes this.
  16. The FRiNgE

LAST used to come with 15 to 20 applicators, (do not remember the exact number) and extras were available separately. My sexy female friend/ hifi enthusiast friend (past tense) used it on all of her records. That stuff is amazing. She treated a few of my records I brought for listening on her system. And she said the applicators had to be thrown away after 1 use, as per instructions, and she had a ton of them. I remember the older disposable applicators were much more narrow than the ones pictured on their website.

So I just checked their site, and you are correct, only 2 applicators with a 2 oz bottle. That is very disappointing since the instructions were to use them only once with the older set. Re-using the applicators is not as good. I would think the applicators must wear with each use, and lose some effectiveness. Plus their cleanliness is dependent on the cleanliness of the rinse water/ solution being used.

Your application method is perfectly ok. My four point pre-application method/ suggestion is for member Adrian Chan who feels the applicator does not evenly distribute the solution.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  17. I have a question to you Last users.

Is it possible that if one applies Last without having previously cleaned the record to perfection, some grit and dust particles wind up being sealed on the surface?

I'm listening these days to the big box of Karajan's 70s re-recording of Beethoven' symphonies on DG (Germany). This is a second-hand copy I have recently found. It had been received as a gift (note inside) and lovingly taken care of by its previous owner. LAST stickers are on each and every side. Now the discs sound just really great - all in all, I'm no huge fan of DGG - yet they have many skips and repeats all due to odd grits and tiny pieces of stuff I need to dislodge with a pin and a magnifying glass (no fear, my hand is steady and I know how to do this)...

I practically never have skip/repeat issues. Hence my question. I have no experience with this product.

18. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I dont think so. I think when I asked LAST something similar they said the stuff will penetrate any dust/dirt/grit on its way through to permanently bond to the vinyl .

quicksilverbudie and ParloFax like this.
  19. The FRiNgE

Skips are commonly caused by EOC's (embedded organic compounds) or insect refuse. The EOC's are usually clear or black in color, very hard to see, and they are stubborn to remove. The usual dust and particles that cause ticks, normally do not cause skipping. More importantly, any liquid applied to a record, with particles in the groove, will always adhere the particles to the groove. The liquid can be distilled water, any water based solution containing cleaning agents.. will always cement any remaining particles to the groove.

LAST recommends the preservative be applied only to a perfectly clean record, preferably a new, unplayed record. There is no way of knowing how the preservative was applied, nor if the record was clean.

I have a few dozen records previously treated with LAST, from different collections. All of them play magnificently.

Steve VK

ParloFax likes this.
  20. What I've had so far is white specks and, yes, insectoid-looking matters. The sharp point of a pin angled just right disloges them instantly.

I use an old 50 mm camera lens as a magnifying glass. I would barely see those suckers otherwise...

Leonthepro and The FRiNgE like this.
  21. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I would be tempted to play a new record a few times before LAST treatment if I didn't have a VPI RCM to clean the record first. Only cleaned records get LAST#2 then they get played.

sean

22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I know when I worked in a second hand record shop records with Last stickers sold for half the price, just could not sell them.

23. ggergm

The FRiNgE likes this.
  24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

WHY? Cant think of a possible reason.
    1. LAST works.
    2. It shows previous owner cared and took care of their records.

quicksilverbudie and The FRiNgE like this.
  25. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Cared too much.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.