Your thoughts on Magical Mystery Tour - The movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlesfan03, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member Thread Starter

On Tuesday by some luck of the draw at work, I won $225 in gift cerificates for the mall attached to our building. Seeing as I had won before and had a hard time spending them, I decided to venture down to the FYE store and see if they had anything special. As luck would have it - they had one copy of the Beatles Ultimate DVD collection. So needless to say knowing it's status is rare, I snagged right up.

Now I was already aware and familiar with most of the material in the set ("Help!," "The First US Visit," and "You Can't Do That - Making AHDN"), however, I never really watched "Magical Mystery Tour" in its entirity until that night.

I tried to watch it when I first got into the Beatles 10 years ago, but find it awkward and dull. I shuffled through for the music sequences and that was about it. This was before I really knew the stories and history of the band, etc.

So I popped this disc in and watched it and while it is hardly a cinematic masterpiece, it's a cute little movie for its time. I can understand it being slammed by the critics since it really has no redeeming qualities and is somewhat self-indulgent.

To me, it struck me as the type of movie that I'd make with my friends and that when we would watch it, we'd find it hilarious but then show it to someone else and they'd probably start scratching their heads.

The musical sequences are all great and I especially liked the bit with John and Little Nicola. The Jan Carlson bit at the end is quite fun too especially when the CENSORED comes across her chest.

The editing leaves a lot to be desired, and a lot of ideas probably weren't realized to their full potential, but overall, I found it to be somewhat charming. It probably won't see repeated plays like "AHDN" or "Yellow Submarine," but not unwatchable as the critics put it.

I like to hear other comments on this film - good or bad. Let me know what you think! :)

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's an art film, and can only be appreciated in Color. It was shown on Boxing Day in B&W on BBC TV. You can imagine the "Flying" sequences in B&W, really horrible.

I think a lot of people who watch MMT like it for what it is. I really like the outtakes that were shown in the Anthology video. I wish they'd make a directors cut!

3. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I remember the print quality of the VHS tape looked terrible, so I never picked the DVD up. What does the DVD look like, guys?

4. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member Thread Starter

Yeah, colour would be the only way to go. I can imagine someone in the flat watching it for the first time on the BBC when that sequence came on going "Huh?"

That sequence is also very 2001-ish. 2001 would have been close to post-production at MMT's release if I'm not mistaken. I don't have any of my Kubrick books handy.

The outtakes from the Anthology are cool. Perhaps Apple will include them when (if) the film gets reissued.

While the quality of the film isn't terrible on the DVD, it goes to show how much more work went into restoring the bits for the Anthology. Much clearer image and colors.

Would also love a complete version of "I Am The Walrus" in true stereo with clean introduction and complete fade-out.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The music on the Laserdisc (Apple, MPL) is almost in synch with the picture. The DVD, for some reason (same label) has the music in most places out of synch with the picture. Fool On The Hill comes to mind.

6. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Thanks!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's the Beatles!:)

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I think the movie would benefit from a deluxe DVD treatment. The picture could be vastly improved, along with the audio. I'd also like to see more outtakes, interviews with Paul/Ringo and key members of the cast.

It would be nice for Apple to follow up the "alleged" Let it be DVD with a deluxe version of Help! and MMT.

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Not as good as Help! :laugh:

10. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I grabbed a LD basically for the music.

11. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I think of it as a time piece, that really had no appreciation in it's time.

Ah well, it is The Beatles - I've never heard of anyone that owns a version dumping it, although most admit to not watching it much...

Paul McCartney gives it some support on the Anthology DVD by saying it's the only place you can get a Beatles "performance" of I Am the Walrus. That's how I look at it as well.... Fool on the Hill, Blue Jay Way, your Mother Should... and Walrus are all fun to watch as videos, and John shoveling bucket loads of spaghetti on the fat womans plate is pretty amusing.

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Self-indulgent tripe fueled by drugs.

Sorry but that's my opinion.

mud-

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Well, if this enterprise was in fact fueled by mind-expanding drugs it should've been a lot more interesting! I understand MMT was basically Paul's idea, inspired by the adventures of Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. A flawed attempt, IMHO, but, hey, as forum members Michael and Uncle Al put it, "It's the Beatles". One for the time capusule.

Jim W.

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Perhaps, Mud, one should try VIEWING it on drugs....? Okay, I didn't think so! I like MMT, I think it's good viewing if one approaches it with an open mind. Plus, as Michael said....it's the BEATLES!

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi Ev, even the Beatles made mistakes!

mud-:D

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

1)"Mr. Moonlight"
    2)"Revolution #9"
    3) Yoko Ono

Mud, I can see your point, but apart from the three listed above, I don't think they made any mistakes!

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

:laugh:

Don't get me wrong, Ev! They have an excellent track record. Better than anyone but MMT is far and away the worst of their films! (IMO!!!)

All these rocks stars and groups have one stinker somewhere's without eating beans!

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Well, that's true. Consider this the Beatles' equivalent of the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles!:laugh:

Evan

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

There ya go. No one loves the Beatles more than I (well, maybe Michael!:laugh: ) but love can be blind. Too bad the film isn't 1/2 as good as the soundtrack. Now that's good stuff.

20. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

As McCartney would say - "Shut up - It's the Beatles bloody Magical Mystery Tour"

21. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

He would say that. It was his idea.

22. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the scene with the Bonzo Dog Band performing "Death Cab for Cutie." In the ancient times before the internet, it took me a loooong time to find out who that was!

23. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Where else are you gonna see the video for "I Am The Walrus" is what Paul said in the Anthology video series. Not to mention "Fool On The Hill", "Your Mother Should Know", "Blue Jay Way", and "Flying". You should be able to access those through the Chapters menu.

I certainly don't think it's the best thing they ever did, but just by the fact it captures that time period is, IMO, reason enough to keep it. Try it again Craig and adjust your expectations this time. :laugh:

24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Not too good; kinda washed out and full of speckling and general wear and tear. The portions on ANTHOLOGY are much improved, and would make MMT a more enjoyable experience. Not much effort was put into remastering the DVD, which does have the songs in stereo.

Having said that, the song vignettes--which we now call videos--come off well, for the most part. But not much going on beyond that, and to this day I know women who think Paul flashed his little Paul during "Fool On The Hill." I prefer to think he was wearing an oversize sweater that just flapped back and forth, but with the condition the image is in, hard to tell.
    Even if it were true, wouldn't save this self-indulgent mess, which is redeemed only by the music and a few creative flourishes.

ED:cool:

25. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I think had Brian lived, he woulda got a competent director for the film and the whole thing woulda got off in a better direction. There was all sorts of problems from the start with the filming of this movie and I think the script was under developed too.

Kinda cool to watch tho every now and then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.