Your Top 10 favorite JAZZ albums of all time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgb, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

For those who are just discovering this great album and like what they hear...save your pennies and find the OOP Mosiac box set 'The Complete Capitol & Atlantic Recordings of Jimmy Giuffre'. Giuffre was a student of Tristano and follows in that vein of music. This set blew me away on first listen! :love:

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member Thread Starter

Is that set still available?

I have been kicking myself for not buying the Mosaic Buck Clayton when it was available. It was the only way that one could have gotten the Columbia recording of How Hi The Fi. The set retailed below $100 when it was available but now fetches prices almost triple that.

While I agree that an avid jazz fan should be spending his money on Mosaics if he can afford them, there's just no reason for them not to be starting with the Tristano if they can't afford to hear it otherwise.

Attached Files:

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

My top ten Finally: 1.) KOB Miles 2)Contemporary Leaders Sonny Rollins 3)And the Rhythnm Section Art Pepper4)Pursuit of the 27th Man Horace Silver 5)Captian Fingers Lee Ritenour6)Giant Steps John Coltrane 7)Moanin Art Blakey8)Desert Winds Illinois Jacquet 9)The Arrival of Victor Feldman 10)Gone With the Wind Dave Brubeck

4. sgb

FINALLY!!!!

Somebody finally got around to listing an Illinois Jacquet album! This guy is severely underrated. He turns 80 next month, BTW.

5. Ronflugelguy

Yeah, "BIRTHDAY PARTY" is also great! I think I'll pull that one out today and listen to it.:)

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Here's another good 'un from one of my favorite trombonists. Only second to Curtis Fuller in my book...Bennie Green!

7. sgb

You guys are gonna send me to the poorhouse!

8. sgb

Just picked this one up at Best Buy with a $5.00 off online coupon. Anybody heard this yet? Comments?

Attached Files:

9. sgb

Recommendations please. Anybody have this?

Attached Files:

• i-1.jpg
      i-1.jpg
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
  10. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

The overall performances are kind of hit and miss on this. The sound quality is quite nice though. Most importantly a couple of the tracks just kick and have never been available on cd. I like it, so let us know what you think when you get it.

11. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Yup yup an excellent recommendation I made a while back in this thread. That cd sounds reallly good and has excellent performances.

12. Ronflugelguy

13. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Only because Alan (ATR) listed his, I'm gonna go:

1. Bitches Brew (Miles Davis)
    2. Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane
    3. The Far East Suite (Duke Ellington)
    4. Silent Tongues (Cecil Taylor)
    5. Billie Holiday (any Columbia compilation)
    6. Nat "King" Cole (any trio compilation on Capitol)
    7. Savoy Master Takes (Charlie Parker)
    8. Clifford Brown (the stuff on the Complete EmArcy box w/Sonny Rollins & Max Roach -- I'm not sure what individual album it's on)
    9. God is in the House (Art Tatum)
    10. Live at the Golden Circle, Vol. 1 (Ornette Coleman)

How's that?

14. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Here's a great shot from a 1957 session at Fine Recording Studios, NYC, December 20, 1957 featuring (left to right) George Marrow, Hank Mobley, Max Roach & Kenny Dorham! Cooking!

15. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

16. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Pic of the day..the excellent Mr. Monk..via 1948..he had a long way to go and some great music to make yet..

Attached Files:

• monk.jpg
      monk.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  17. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Alex so who are these two...:D

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Beautiful picture, but definitely a posed shot. The Mics are too close together..

19. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Ah come on Steve.. we can imagine the pushed them to that point because they wanted to study the sheets more and that's why it looks like that..notice i said imagine...its a nice shot regardless..

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's a beautiful shot.

Imagine all that great music being recorded in Rudy's living room.

It boggles the mind.

21. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Damn straight....

22. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

SGB...I just nabbed a copy of 'West 42nd Street' off Half.com. I am looking forward to the experience! :D

Here's a goody that I am sure you've heard...

23. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Well i don't have it, but would be interested in anything you have to say about it if yo go get it.

24. sgb

Thanks for adding your list, D.

I was elated to see the Monk/Coltrane listing; another great album overshadowed by the more conventional wisdom to pick another LP by either one of these two giants. Recorded in 1957, this might be thought of as a recording like the Tristano Intuition where we have a teacher making with his student.

I've never understood why the audiophile record companies haven't picked this one up to reissue. Trane sounds like he's in the room with you.

25. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Not bad, Db, except the King Cole, Holiday, and Parker recommendations aren't specific records. I'll let it slide 'cause you're a musician and I'm not, but here's ten more.
    1. Lenox Avenue Breakdown Arthur Blythe Columbia. Db knows I'm crazy for this album.
    2. Jump Up Jimmy Lyons Hat Hut.
    3. In:Sanity Beaver Harris 360 Ensemble Black Saint.
    4. Bells/Prophecy Albert Ayler ESP. Two great Lp's combined on a single CD issue. Hard to find.
    5. The Great Recordings of John Coltrane. John Coltrane Impulse. A two CD release that includes both takes of Ascension, Kulu Se Mama, and Om. All that's missing is the mind blowing performance of I Want to Talk About You from Selflessness with Roy Haynes. Yeah, I know. It's not a real 'record' either.
    6. Enchance Billy Hart A&M Horizon. Another great drummer lead album, see #2 above. He has played with everyone, notably the great Herbie Hancock Mwandishi band.
    7. Conference of the Birds Dave Holland ECM.
    9. Nuba Jeanne Lee Black Saint. I was thinking, gotta have a favorite with voice. This is it by far. One of the most intense quiet records ever, along with the Art Ensemble's People in Sorrow.
    10. Emergency, Vols. I and II The Tony Williams Lifetime Verve. Anybody got an opinion of the best sounding CD release of this one? The original recording was badly distorted, and I would have gone with Inner Mounting Flame for McLauglin because it's more consistently satisfying musically and better recorded, but no Tony.
    My apologies for screwing up the smilies on my first list. And to those of you who love those old Blue Note obscurities, here's to Tina Brooks but my personal favorite of all time is Go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.