Your top 5 favorite Warner Bros. cartoons?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Andrew T., Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

OH,YEAH..That cracks me up,too! By the way,Keith,Do you know the title of the similar-themed Bugs cartoon where he get that treatment? I saw it in the '80's,but I can't seem to remember the title..do you know Off-Hand? THANX!!Michael Boyce

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'm not Keith, but I play him on the Internet. The cartoon is "Rabbit Rampage".

Regards,

3. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Yeah, and it ain't NEARLY as funny as Duck Amuck. Even Chuck Jones said so in his autobiography "Chuck Amuck." (Will post the quote later, I don't have the book in front of me)

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Yep, not unlike comparing "To Hare is Human" to "Operation: Rabbit". When they absolutely nail a concept and character the first time, it is hard to equal or better it. Not that there are not exceptions such as "Hareway to the Stars" topping "Haredevil Hare" ten years later. In that case, though, they are both pretty great.

Regards,

5. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Chow Hound ("This time, we didn't forget the gravy.")
    Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2th Century
    For Scent-imental Reasons
    Rabbit of Seville
    Rabbit Seasoning

This has ended up a list of my five favourite Chuck Jones/Mike Maltese cartoons, but hell, I like what I like.

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The Great Piggy Bank Robbery
    Bedtime For Sniffles
    Horton Hatches The Egg
    The Big Snooze
    Tortoise Beats Hare

Boy, that was tough!

7. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

No way to narrow it down (or know the titles), but I do know they would all be Bugs cartoons. The orange monster one, he and Elmer in the future, Bugs in Scotland golfing, Yosemite Sam and Bugs on the ship, and in the old West...on and on.

I sincerely regret that Boomerang stopped doing the June Bugs program every year, it was always a treat for me and my young son loved it as well, turned him on to the whole Bugs catalog.

The only thing about the boxed sets is that I am afr less interested in the other cartoon characters (although a lot of the Daffy ones were surreal and fun to watch as well...'noodlenose!', 'duck season!,'etc.). I have not seen a set strictly devoted to Bugs and that one I would buy.

8. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Haven't seen that one in YEARS!!! Love it!

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

What's the one where two little boys are watching Road Runner, and Wile E. stops and addresses the children directly?

When I grow up I want to be a P-Sychologist.

10. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

Well, my favorite five this week:

Duck Amuck ("Thanks for the sour persimmons, cousin!")

Porky In Wackyland ("Do do de do do do de do!!")

Slick Hare (a study in brilliant comic timing -- "Pick up pie!" "Your Pie Sir!" splat)

Little Red Riding Rabbit ("HEY GRAMMA!! I BROUGHT A LITTLE BUNNY RABBIT FOR YA -- TA HAVE!!")

Now Hear This (Late-period Chuck Jones. Very surreal and edgy for its time. If you haven't seen it, you're missing a tour-de-force from Treg Brown's sound editing.)

11. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein Thread Starter

That's from The Adventures of the Road Runner, an aborted TV pilot and two-reel cartoon from 1962 that segued From A to Z-z-z-z together with new footage that was later reused in three shorts: To Beep or Not to Beep, Roadrunner a Go-Go, and Zip Zip Hooray!

I kind of liked the moment where Wile E. Coyote spoke and pointed all the tantalizing cuts of road runner out on a diagram, myself. :winkgrin:

12. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I just found this. It's Junior Bear from A Bear For Punishment. Hilarious, especially if you remember how devoted but stupid he sounded.

BTW, Stan Freberg did the voice.

Junior Bear:
    My Pa
    When the nasty old bogeyman
    Fills me with fears
    And my little old pinafore
    Is all wet with tears
    And my cute little pug nose
    Is all red for crying
    Who is it that saves me
    And keeps me from dying?
    My Pa!
    When my little pink cheeks
    Are pale with fright
    Who is it that lifts me
    And holds me tight
    And says, "There, there, little man
    Everything is all right?"
    My Pa (edit)

Junior Bear:
    G-U-N-P-O-W-D-E-R
    "Tobacco". I am a good spelling, i am
    C-A-T, dog
    B-A-T, Rhode Island

13. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Rabbit's Kin - with Pete Puma
    Hillbilly Hare

14. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Ack! Though I grew up with them and sat down many an hour watching them with my kids as they grew up - I don't know any of their titles except one. "Book Revue" (later retitled: Book Review) just because I wanted to get Daffy doing the scat thing for Little Red Riding Hood. So many favorites...

15. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Ah! Another good one!!!

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I can't do it. I can't choose just five. It's too hard.

All the choices on this thread so far are GREAT¡

17. MM = Merrie Melodie
    LT = Looney Tune

"Coal Black And De Sebben Dwarves" - MM - Jan. 16, 1943 - Bob Clampet
    "One Froggy Evening" - MM - Dec. 31, 1955 - Chuck Jones
    "Porky In Wackyland" - LT - Sept. 24, 1938 - Robert Clampet
    "I Luv To Singa" - MM - July 18, 1936 - Friz Freleng - animation Chuck Jones
    "Bedtime For Sniffles" - MM - Nov. 23, 1940 - Chuck Jones

Bubbling under...

"Three Little Bops" - LT - Jan.5, 1957 - Friz Freleng
    "My Green Fedora" - MM - May 4, 1935 - Friz Freleng - animation Chuck Jones and Bob Clampet
    "A-Lad-In Bagdad" (Egghead) - MM - Aug.27, 1938
    "Congo Jazz" (Bosko) - LT - Oct. 1930

In their 1981 book The Warner Brothers Cartoons authors Will Friedwald and Jerry Beck said this about "Bedtime For Sniffles".

"A charming Christmas cartoon, a rare Warners bow to yuletide sentiments, albeit an effective one".

I try to watch "...Sniffles" around Christmas Eve every year.

Saw a fairly decent 16mm print of "Coal Black And De Sebben Dwarves" at one of the Mini Cons (Minneapolis Science Fiction Convention) in the late 1970s. It was on a double bill with "Tokyo Jokio". Tokyo was a tough watch, not a very nice toon.

"I'm wearin' my green fedora, fer Dora, not Alice, not Annie, not Daisy, but fer Dora,
    I usually come to town, in a battered old hat of brown,
    But I gotta wear green when me and my queen go steppin' around,
    That's why I'm wearin' my green fedora, fer Dora, fer Dora,
    Fer Dora is the girl I love..." :)

18. From the 1981 book, page ix, The Warner Brothers Cartoons, there is an explanation on the difference between Looney Tune and Merrie Melodie cartoons.

On Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Most cartoon producers of the thirties followed Disney's example of the 1932-1935 period, namely to have two separate series. One would star a regular, continuing character, such as Mickey Mouse, and be produced in black-and-white; the other made in color, would feature miscellaneous one-shot characters and stories. At Warner Brothers the Merrie Melodies starred one-shot characters for the most part, except at the inception of the series in 1931, when Harman/Ising's "Piggy" and "Foxy" starred in several cartoons apiece, and later, around 1938 1939, when Daffy Duck, Egghead, and the Bugs Bunny prototype made special appearances. Several cartoons were made in color in 1934 (2C -Two Strip Technicolor red and green hues) before Warners switched to full color in 1935. The Looney Tunes, which in the thirties starred regular characters Bosko, Buddy, and Porky Pig, were produced in black-and-white entirely until 1941's "The Hep Cat". They alternated between color and black-and-white until 1943, when Warner Brothers went all color. ... From 1943 on, however, there was absolutely no differences between the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies; all characters appeared in both series, and all director-units worked on both. But for no ostensible reason-other than tradition and the prestige of having two separate, if indistinguishable series of cartoons--the names were maintained until the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.