Your Vinyl Transfer Workflow (sharing best needledrop practices)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vocalpoint, May 11, 2011.

1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Posted 3 samples in the needle drop tread.:)

Robert C likes this.
  2. ghost rider

Well I was looking for a very light setting to mimic Click repair that I had been using set at level 2. So I used the default and lowered the level first to 1.0 but that left no manual declicks. I feel more comfortable when I have some manual work left. It seemed to work and I never really tried any other settings. I may use those during the manual declick to remove harder clicks and pops.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  3. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Regarding best practices for Youtube uploading:

• Render a WAV file to 16 bits / 48kHz
    • Create an AAC file from the WAV file. The higher the bitrate the better.
    • I typically use "afconvert" on a Mac:
    Code:
    afconvert -d aac -f m4af -u vbrq 127 <FILE_NAME>.wav

• Find a JPEG image file to go along with the music. Be sure that the file is at least 720 pixels vertically. Resize as required.
    • Use the following syntax in ffmpeg:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -loop 1 -f image2 -i <IMAGE_NAME>.jpg -i <AUDIO_FILE_NAME>.m4a -c:v libx264 -c:a copy -shortest -movflags faststart <OUTPUT_FILE_NAME>.mp4

Then just upload the mp4 file to youtube. I came up with this method after reading Google's instructions on how to avoid most Google transcoding that would happen if a 44.1kHz video was uploaded.

ghost rider likes this.
  4. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

I seriously need recommendations for an inexpensive 'does it all' tool for my needle drops. (I'm on a micro budget.)
    Goldwave doesn't cut it for me, but I'm looking for something that is in a similar price range.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

5. ghost rider

Click repair. I got the denoise option and have never used it but would have had I not had RX2. Many here will agree if have a budget click repair gives you the biggest bang for the buck.
    http://www.clickrepair.net/

Bobbo likes this.
  6. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Many thanks, gr!
    Basically all I need is something like that. I'll only futz around with the EQ if there's something seriously wrong with it.

7. ghost rider

I'm sure you can't eq with it. Generally you don’t need to eq. This is just a inexpensive program that does a great job removing pops. What ever you use to record can likely eq it.

Bobbo likes this.
  8. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

The signal usually goes through two banks of EQ before it even gets to my sound card. I tend to dub everything flat, unless it needs some beefing up.

9. ghost rider

I don't know if this relates to your situation but back before I was doing needle drops I used to record a lot of DJ
    music. I always thought it needed more bass. So I would master it with more bass.

Then I got room treatments and now all those mixes have to much bass. Lucky for me I never play them and if I did I would eq it back.

Now except for 60s rock and pop that sounds thin like it was mastered for am radio I only eq to roll off my bright cartridge. Outside of that I love how my room sounds.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I very rarely ever EQ for taste. The trick is getting used to the sound of your system and room, and knowing how things will sound in it. That way, you don't get ideas that something is bass-shy, when it may not be. Of course, I understand that coming from a DJ background, you may desire more bass.

11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I've processed a few more transfers at -16 LUFS and have now come across some that require peak limiting in order to be -16 LUFS without clippings. Rumours is an example, with Second Hand News requiring peak limiting. In Audition, the limiter is built in to the LUFS function and I just went with its default values (look-ahead time 12 ms / release time 200 ms). I found the results to be audibly unnoticeable, though, mathematically, dynamic range is reduced.

Take Second Hand News as an example, it has a typical dynamic range of 15 but, at -16 LUFS with peak limiting, the dynamic range is reduced to 12. However, when you look at what is actually limited, it's just the anomalous single peaks here and there that you often get with needledrops. The main body of music is unaffected.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Why and how does GoldWave not cut it for you? That and ClickRepair are a wonderful combo.

13. gloomrider

You can determine just how much peak limiting happened in the statistics. "sample peak" vs. "true peak". Or at least, iZotope RX has that feature.

At what level does the peak limiting kick in? It's hard to tell from the graphic, but it looks like pretty close to 0 dBFS.

14. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The peaks are -0.1

15. gloomrider

I have encountered this occasionally as well. I think there was a little peak limiting for Linda Ronstadt's Mad Love with a K16v2 target. If your target is K20, you'll rarely if ever see any peak limiting, but of course all your files will be lower in volume.

16. ghost rider

It was just an example of how fixing the eq on the master when the problem is the room.

Grant likes this.
  17. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

Suscribiendo..lo sorry I do not speak English, google does it for me, I am a regular follower of the page from which I learned a lot about the''needledrop'' but still in the''noob'' level. I'm surprised his method mainly cut in 25Hz and of course that will test like the high frequency filter with ozone.

I read the 39 pages of this forum least 2 times but I have many questions I'd like to share with you .... thanks in advance. Greetings to all.

18. gloomrider

Welcome!

I'm always curious to learn how others record vinyl.

19. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

Gloomrider Thanks for the welcome, really do not think it has much to contribute but little is with pleasure, surely most of my posts are more questions than by anything else.

One is on this video Vinyl Restoration applies where man Deconstruit iZotope RX module with the following configuration to repair the distortion in very worn vinyl.

[​IMG]

Personally I've used largely as my small collection of vinyl is not in very good condition and the result I found very good, really works if certain inherent disadvantage vinyl sounds like some glosses leave. Lately I've used the same configuration but 50% of the stipulated and almost general use for all LPs.

I have not seen any comments about this forum so would encourage them to test the module and know their views to proceed or not with this process in my chain.

20. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

Hello Ghost, have done tests with their method of cutting at 25 Hz, starting because he had never personally used a High pass, effectively using their method the wave remains intact as opposed to a cut made in the usual manner with an equalizer.

PROS: The wave remains intact without increasing peaks which affect the final normalization and default RMS level.

CONS: With the EQ method increasing the peaks increases the dynamic range, I did the measurement and the DR increased largely, if this really means better sound then are many points in favor but the RMS level is reduced.

Make the cut with his method with the RX is something most wasteful as touch zoom, select the frequency, delete and back to normalize the wave view; with the equalizer is only click and is already the work done even with the advantage of doing batch which I do not see how to do it with your method. In the end, the issue is to analyze more deeply the pros and cons to choosing the best option.

NOTE:I changed the Google Translator by other than hopefully allow me to communicate in a better way, I would appreciate it an opinion on the subject.

21. ghost rider

Hey welcome to the forum.:)

You’re English though your translator is much better than me and my spell check!!!
    Thanks for analyzing my method. I do not know how to run DR analyzing programs and have not much cared about them although it does make it interesting. What I know about DR is that it is a reading from the lowest levels to the highest levels and the range between them. So if the EQ causes a few peaks to shoot up that alone with increase the DR. Using my method only effects the portion of the file 25Hz and below and allows for higher normalize level would lower the DR. If you were to compare the 2 finished files 10 out of 10 people would like the louder file. When in reality if you leveled them off they would sound the same.

22. gloomrider

My experience is with RX3 and RX4, which lack the "Deconstruct" function. Sorry.

23. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

The module that I show in the photo is precisely RX4 advanced then guess is one of the differences between normal and that I own.

24. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

Jeje, thanks for the welcome, then it seems that the current translator is better so it will continue with the.

Just a few days ago I got as analyze DR integrating a plugin to the foobar2000 and before that I not obsessed so much with my vinyl numbers, not be at the end that would be the best. Archive more strong always called most attention, also the difference in listening for the dynamic range between your method and normal with Equalizer will have to be a Superman to notice it as is indeed above all in the data of the program. If some tips my balance towards the method with the equalizer it is faster in the process but that will be the experience of practice from one method to another.

25. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

Vinyl studio works for me. Google it