You're a musician - what are you working on now ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mychkine, Nov 21, 2013.

1. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Question for you recording folks... do any of you have any experience recording on a smartphone? I've looked around a little bit as far as what is available but was curious if anybody has any advice?

2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I downloaded garage band for the iphone, but haven't used it yet. looks pretty cool, but not sure what you can do with it without other components to connect mics and all to it.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

We've come a long way since this post last November. Now have a steady lineup of guitar, sax, percussion, bass & drums with three of us singing harmonies, and a keyboardist and additional drummer, guitarist, sax, and bass player we work with occasionally, particularly when the main ones aren't available. Got three gigs coming up this month (none with all of the principles able to be present, and two at a small space that needs an acoustic lineup - but using the roster I have and working around people's schedules to provide the right sort of ensemble for each event). Also started sitting in with a more established cover band that use the same bassist and drummer. Will be working tonight on a CD package to sell CDRs of the originals at the upcoming gigs.

Today marks day 365 of dedicating about 6 evenings a month to The Beagles project and it's gotten a lot farther than I ever imagined it was going to in year 1.

4. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

That's cool. There are some options available for inputs. But what I'm really curious about is processing/storage limitations. I saw some apps seem to limit you to 4 tracks. I'm also curious if they are 24bit or 16 wavs or what they are.

5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I've been using this as a recording platform, easy to use-https://itunes.apple.com/app/multitrack-daw/id329322101?mt=8

For a mic I'm just using a Blue Mikey for vocals and acoustic-http://bluemic.com/mikey_digital/
    The Mikey also has a line-in input so you can record guitars direct using a Line 6 device (or prety much and other direct recording device) plugged right in.

This set-up is pretty fun and works for me, and great for demo's/experiments. I'm sure if I took the time I could get some really satisfying (as in more professional sounding) results.

ampmods likes this.
  6. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

This an original of mine where I play the instruments, but gave the tracks to Bill Vignari, an actor/singer from Brooklyn. Bill was Don Funucci's nephew in Godfather II.

I also home 16 track recordings with my brother, who actually lives in Arlington, VA. We call ourselves the Cuspers, but we have no completed videos yet as we are working on our second CD.
    http://www.bandmix.com/the-cuspers/

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  7. Mike Visco

Hey, I've used that avatar too LOL!

8. Mike Visco

I'm interested in hearing about your Beagles prokject- an Eagles/Beatles cover band?

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Here is the bio I recently came up with, that addresses that question:

Rob and Steve began playing music together in 2012, initially launching The Beagles as a duo focused on developing arrangements of Rob’s original material for saxophone, acoustic and electric guitar, and vocal harmonies. One of The Beagles’ early performances as a duo was at an Einstein Alley Musician’s Collaborative event at the Princeton Public Library, where their catchy tunes, infectious hooks, high energy and musical blend so impressed Rowena (a trained musical theater performer who has put on her own one woman shows) and the rhythm section of Stu and Eric (both long time members of Princeton favorites The Pi Fight Band, with whom Rob occasionally sits in) that they joined forces to make these pieces the nucleus of a roots driven rock ensemble featuring a three part harmony blend. Listen closely to The Beagles and you can hear this developmental path in their music as they often lock in with one another to function as a multi-player expansion of a fingerstyle guitar part, which is now often only implied. Each member takes on a layer or implication of Rob’s underlying guitar part as a sketch to color in with their own personality, freeing him to do the same with his guitar.
    If you guess from The Beagles’ name that they are inspired by The Beatles and The Eagles you would not be far off, and they do enjoy covering songs by these bands and many of their contemporaries. But The Beagles’ focus, like that of their inspirations, is on bringing this same type of energy and innovation to their own music, while mixing it up with enough rock, pop and folk covers and other familiar material (including children’s tunes for certain audiences) to keep it entertaining for everyone at their gigs.

Mike Visco likes this.
  10. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

I play guitar and bass. These days I have a few things going:

1. A band which I front, play guitar and write songs for. We did some recording last November and will be doing more in July. It'll probably wind up being a full-length and maybe a 7" as well. So far we've only played in town but I would like to branch out and play regional stuff sometime soon.
    2. Playing bass in a 60s-era rock and r&b cover band with a friend I used to play/make records/tour with. Think Small Faces/Zombies/Smash-era Charlie Rich/Equals/Sir Doug/etc. We've been playing for several months now and are doing a couple shows this month.
    3. Playing bass with a friend of mine who does singer-songwriter-type stuff. We recorded his (fourth) album last year and it's in the mixing/mastering stages now. More info here: http://www.danmontgomerymusic.com/.

11. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I'm not sure about that, but any iphone will give you plenty of storage. I'll put it this way, my old Boss digital recorder could only use a 1G flash card!

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Mike Visco and ampmods like this.
  13. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Going into the studio tomorrow to record a song with my band The I Want You. This is the first session I've ever done with a violinist! Looking forward to it.

Mike Visco likes this.
  14. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Producing and recording (and playing on) my band's sixth CD.

15. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I sing, write, and play both keyboards and drums.

These days I am in a 21st Century progressive rock band called Heliopolis. We are in the final stages of mixing our debut album, and it is scheduled for release in September!!

16. Expert Textpert

Expert Textpert Well-Known Member

I'm first and foremost a songwriter. I play guitar and piano as my primary instruments.

Here is my most recent composition, called Hey Love. It's the first song I've written on a ukulele, and I think it's probably the best song I've ever written (although it sounds nothing like anything I've done in the past). I recorded the ukulele, acoustic guitar, glockenspiel, harmony vocals, handclaps, fingersnaps, and piano at home - on my laptop. Then my bandmate - who is an accomplished audio engineer - performed his usual witchcraft to make everything sound really awesome, and overdubbed bass and programmed drums tracks. Then our singer Danny laid down a great vocal performance.

I'm 38, so I obviously stopped entertaining "making it" a long time ago, but this song has been played on the radio a few times locally, and I got to do a couple of interviews as well. Mission accomplished! My wife loves it too - I wrote the song for her.

Here it is. Please check it out:

We have some more tunes in the pipeline. We just recorded drum tracks for 6 new songs this past weekend.

rockinlazys, Lownotes and Mike Visco like this.
  17. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I'm not a musician, but I work on musical projects as a designer.
    Currently under construction: Vinyl-reissues of Barney Wilen and Hans Koller, another of B-Sharp's 'US States' boxes (after "The Texas Box" it's the "Michigan Box" next, 10 CDs of wild garage sounds), books about Creole music and the London label in Germany, and a couple of Bear Family projects (Johnny Horton, Chuck Berry, another "Target You!" DVD…).

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Anyone have any suggestions on easily portable PA systems with enough power to make 3 vocalists and sax amply audible over a band with a drummer, assuming drums are not mic'd? As I drive a Mini, size is key.

Have access to plenty of "borrowable" PAs but would rather not have to rely on the kindness of others as this becomes a more regular thing.

If anyone has such a system not to far from NJ that they want to sell, please let me know that as well.

19. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Just got the mixes back for our first 3 recordings earlier this week. I'm a drummer in a loud, fast, "sloppy rock and roll" band called The Pink Angels. We play in Philadelphia mostly. Heavy Replacements influence from the other guys. I'm a Keith Moon fan, so I like to make my drum tracks interesting.

Here's a quick Bandcamp page we whipped up for the songs:

http://thepinkangels.bandcamp.com/

After becoming single and especially knowing what it's like to be in a local band, I wish more of you guys were closer to Philly so I could come support you. Gotta keep original music alive.

entropyfan likes this.
  20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I play bass, write, and sing for this band called Dog Food. We play about once a month. I also play bass for a few other bands and in church. I'm in Jersey City NJ

21. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Very nice! I like the song, performance, and production!

Expert Textpert likes this.
  22. Expert Textpert

Expert Textpert Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking it out!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

23. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Working on songs for a long-running comedic Off-Broadway show. Funny songs are my thing. My fake band has a few recordings over here.

24. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Working on songs for a long-running comedic Off-Broadway show. Funny songs are my thing. My fake band has a few recordings over here.

25. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Here's one I did a while back.. I played everything except drums