Youtube malware be careful

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DjBryan, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member Thread Starter

I went on youtube on a search for more Johnny Carson & Letterman videos. I got a malware virus from it, I'm running vista and Bullguard, It got rid of it but be careful.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

3. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the addition Brad.

4. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

I thought that problems only happened there when you clicked on malware links embedded in the text. I've never heard of problems viewing or searching.

5. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

I'm unclear on the concept. Somehow playing a video on the YouTube site can install malware?

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yep, some videos do have malware links or malware embedded in them.

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Happened to me. I picked up a nasty malware called "Awola". Took me five hours to find the right product to get rid of it. I'm now using SuperAntiSpyware. Ad-Aware was useless.

8. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

At work, if a system is heavily infected, I disable system restore - remove the hard drive, put it in my test machine and run Kaspersky 7, Adaware 2007, Spybot S&D, AVG Antispyware and Superantispyware scans on the drive, each program will pick up components that the other ones dont.

Malware & adware are a pain! :realmad:

9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I got a nasty one from MySpace when in a weak moment I agreed to install a codec to view a profile.

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Brad, are you answering Jstraw's question, or commenting on the post before his?

11. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

This is horrible news. There's no place safe on the internet anymore. Except here. Well....there are those.....threads.

Thanks for the heads-up Bryan.

12. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

13. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

just don't use IE

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I have IE secured, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc, I don't click on any links on YouTube video pages. Just be smart and you have nothing to worry about.

15. I also had the same experience when watching vintage footage of Lennon and McCartney on "The Tonight Show".

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Strange... I've seen that same footage on YouTube and I didn't get any malware or anything.

17. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

So is this thing random? What's the bottom line here? I mean it's sounding to me that surfing youtube is a crap shoot. Huh?

18. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Let me get this straight. People aren't going to links, they aren't downloading fake codecs such as the Zlob trojan, they're just watching videos on the YouTube site itself and getting malware? How does that work?

19. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

No problems here ever with Mozilla.

20. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

Aaaah, the joys of Ubuntu Linux. :edthumbs:

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

All I can tell you is I've been using YouTube for quite awhille and never had any problemms when viewing videos. As far as I know; there is no way to get a virus, malware, etc from simply viewing a YouTube video. They're Adobe Flash files.

22. vinylluvr

vinylluvr New Member

Sometimes just going to a site can infect a computer.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

But the site in this case is YouTube.com which is run and owned by Google, who I sort of doubt is putting infected websites out there.

24. vinylluvr

vinylluvr New Member

True. I was just saying that one doesn't have to open an email or click on a link to get infected nowadays.

25. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Exactly. This is pure FUD. If someone has specific, contradictory details explaining how playing a Flash file can install malware then do share it. Otherwise, this is fear-mongering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.