YouTube Now Bigger Than Any Network?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khaki F, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbluedream

mrbluedream Well-Known Member

I have a curious mind and in my opinion, youtube offers far more information and entertainment than satelite or cable tv.
    I did not know you could pay for youtube for extra features, I might jump in for the offline feature alone.
    There's many videos I watch repeatedly.

Also there's a ton of videos on there you can't buy, for me I love the mediation, om, thunderstorm videos just off the top of my head.

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I look at YouTube to catch a music video or a boot or a trailer, but I don't watch it in the way I watch something on television or a DVD or a film.

3. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

It's certainly bigger and more relevant than most networks. But unless a TYer has thousands of subscribers (not just followers) he/she won't have the stability or staying power of, say, a pilot on CBS. I know a couple who do it full-time and yes, you can make a pretty decent living providing YT content, but it takes talent and time, not necessarily in that order...

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I recently came across an web only comedy series on YouTube (though through an external link) which I enjoyed very much indeed. It's called Submissions Only, about the casting and audition process for Broadway theater. It centers around aspiring actress Penny Reilly (Kate Wetherhead) and her friend, casting agency director Tim Trull (Colin Hanlon), and their circle of friends, colleagues, relationships and family.

There are three (short) seasons so far. Kate Wetherhead stars, writes, directs and composes many of the wonderful original songs (usually used in the outro). She's a creative force! It gets better with each season - I recommend it, it's a lot of fun.

5. Clint_f

Clint_f Forum Resident

That doesn't work if you watch Youtube on something that isn't a web browser - Roku, Android, etc - or at least the native Youtube apps. I personally almost never watch Youtube sitting at my PC, rather just use the Roku on the TV.

drasil and Scopitone like this.
  6. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've long exited the 18-49 demographic (much to my horror) but I too find myself at YouTube much of the time. I usually have it open while I'm here so I can listen to suggestions, like from the Obscure '60s Songs thread.

I rarely watch full-length videos of content that may have been broadcast on TV, but there have been a few exceptions re movies, documentaries and, for the past two years, the final table of the World Series of Poker main event.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I enjoy it a lot mostly for music videos.

So far I haven't watched whole programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.