YouTube "series" you get something out of

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Yeah, most of these are gonna be about music, but this really belongs here in Visual Arts. I've tried to get to this topic from different directions, and they often just sink down, down the queue while more people are excited talking about 40-year-old albums.

Today I learned Ben Folds has a series of artist interviews called Lightning Bugs. For a guy who started getting traction as a smarta** piano player with a smarta** trio, he's really come a long way in both his musical development, and the subjects he can discuss with some perspective and relevancy. It's hard for me to realize he's been working with orchestras now for the better part of a decade. So when I saw he did a chat with one of my favorite YouTube-origin artist Dodie Clark (aka dodie), I was amazed. He really got into the differences between the way she developed to her level, and his own track. Next up...gonna watch his chat with Shatner!

These are the sort of places you don't expect revealing and educational content, and I wish we could discuss the emergence of the form more here.

I've tried to get discussions going about deep-dive pop-culture pieces by Lindsey Ellis, and behind-the-music talks such as Cory Wong's On The One, where he takes you through what he's working with on his DAW. I've seen a few good threads on musical perspectives, like Rick Beato's digressions into music appreciation. The Life In Surround series, where the host takes the time to take us deeper into the mixes of releases...even without actually playing us any of it all. And Patreon founder Jack Conte's pieces about the very nature of creativity itself. Sure, there are takedown threads about "reaction" videos, that spend far too little time highlighting the actual insightful ones.

But few others seems to get any traction here. And I think that's a shame, in a community of music heads, who can't seem to focus on deeper musical discussions where a video can last more than 40 minutes without committing the sin of not bringing a Beatle into it.

There are serious people doing seriously-rewarding interview, lecture and educational pieces on this platform that can give us a wider perspective on what it is we love, certainly higher-caliber posting than just responding to people saying the same things about the same iconic bands and albums with responses no more cerebral than, "I like pie!".

Disclaimer: I do not have a YouTube account, I frequently erase cookies upon leaving. I surf in, as a stranger, and have as little involvement with Google products as possible. I make no apologies about "using" the website for entertainment and educational purposes without genuflecting to The Big G, and don't give a crap if you feel like raking me over the coals for some perceived hypocritical sin instead of actually engaging in the topic at hand here. This thread is not about whatever luddite tendencies you see in me, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't drag it off-topic because you hate that I've already made my choices as to how I do innernetz, and you don't.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Saint Johnny and NickySee like this.
  2. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Red Bull Music Academy has loads of intelligent lectures and interviews featuring young and old artists. It leans toward the electronic side, but not always.

Playlists here: https://www.youtube.com/c/RBMA/playlists

3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've been watching DUNE youtube videos.

Mostly by nerd cookies.

Quite interesting. The female narrator also has a very pleasant voice.

DamnDirtyApe, FVDnz and Dillydipper like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Of course Chris Titus' nerd-ucation pieces will make your computing experiences sooo much easier!

MikaelaArsenault and Rubberpigg like this.
  6. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I like the "Townsend" series where the cook makes 18th century food and always slips in nutmeg.

7. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Board's full of hit and run posters. :shrug:It what it is. But I like the post idea.

I've been going through the wide array of Tony Palmer films which can be found on several channels on YouTube. The veast majority of his projects seem to focus on composers and musicians. Luckily for us, his legal representation hasn't pounced. Right now, I'm watching his documentary on British composer, Malcolm Arnold, who I confess, is new to me -

8. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

I love watching the shows where they are restoring automobiles that I like and there is another self filmed series where this guy moves into the middle of nowhere and attempts to live off the grid. He builds a cabin and a sauna and has this really cool golden retriever with him but sparsely anyone else...

His YouTube page is called "My Self Reliance"

https://m.youtube.com/c/ShawnJamesMySelfReliance

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Dillydipper likes this.
  9. Nomadicarchivist

"Irish Tour 74" holds a special place for me. Always hoped there would one day be an expanded edition of it but I read somewhere that the masters burned in a fire...

Damn shame. The younger generations could benefit greatly from more context with "the troubles" and the risk Rory was taking by playing some of those shows

kanakaris and NickySee like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Jacob Collier's residencies and masterclasses are osmosis, making you a better player, and better listener.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    jbmcb and Jeff Kent like this.
  11. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

How about Science Facts...
    You guys maybe interested in this one. I normally don't watch TV and kept busy at work and work at home but this is one of the few made me sit down.
    200 Unsolved Mysteries That Cannot Be Explained | Compilation

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

AndyTaylor and NickySee like this.
  13. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Man at C&A and Dillydipper like this.
  14. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Chad Vader
    Ikea Heights
    Yacht Rock

15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Lol, me too though I've been getting put off by Danika XIX (aka Comicbook Girl 19) lately mainly because of her uncontrollable dropping of f-bombs, etc.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

cowboy72, jbmcb and fergojisan like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Simone Greitz's channel is fascinating. She has millions of views for very good reasons, but it became really moving when she had a brain tumor, and shared the experience with her viewers.

The most recent is her seeing her mom for the first time in two years:

We have also been watching Narrowboat videos. Some are people cruising around on the canals in England and Wales, others are building them to do so. One guy is doing it as cheaply as possible, one has few genuine skills with tools, and one is doing so carefully and well that it's just a thing of beauty.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

YouTube keep recommending videos about quality footwear because I did a search on work boots. Very interesting. I had no idea people have their shoes refurbished.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

:laugh: "Re-treads"!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

As a guitar player, I'm subscribed to several YouTube guitar instructional channels

Michael likes this.
  21. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I don't know if I would say it's a series but I enjoy watching YouTube videos of drunk drivers getting arrested.

22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

There's a great series on YouTube titled Nick Knacks. The host (who never appears on-camera, but only narrates, as well as edits each episode) discusses the history of the Nickelodeon cable television network, show by show, one episode for each show. He starts with the network's origin as a Columbus, Ohio television station in the late 70s.

Each episode runs as long as 60 minutes (the Monkees reruns get 42 minutes), and, for a few early shows, there's no known surviving footage, so he uses archival photos instead. I didn't expected I'd get hooked by such a niche subject, but the host is incredibly entertaining in discussing each show, how it arrived at Nickelodeon, its cultural impact, and similar topics. He truly did his research for each program, and understands how broadcasting works. It's fascinating.

Available here:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    cowboy72, Dillydipper and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Ellis' video about the awful Cats film is a rewarding watch. If you don't quite understand why it's a bad movie, technically, she explains it (and demonstrates visually) in a manner that is very easy to understand.

Dillydipper likes this.
  24. Nomadicarchivist

plenty of good ones where they work on cars.. Vice Grip garage is my fav..
    https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=Vice+grip+garage+

The dude who moves out into the wild and builds a homestead by hand is good one too
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKin1fXXCeq2UJePJEog/videos

Dillydipper likes this.
  25. drift

drift Forum Resident