Youtube vinyl videos. Do you all think some of these guys are paid shills?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deaf_in_ LA_1974, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

So this whole thread is because you saw a guy on YouTube who is part of the Vinyl Community, and you don’t want to link to it because you think he shaves his beard too close....he’s too happy....too handsome....and has a huge record collection that you think he doesn’t know enough about?

Who would be paying this guy to go through his used records on YouTube ? Goodwill?

The Trinity and E.Baba like this.
  2. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident Thread Starter

hha ha no not at all, you completely misunderstood the original post.

3. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

4. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

For real in what sense, he's a guy with a youtube channel just like the rest of them. If he looks polished it's because he's been at it for a couple of years. He gets stuff sent to him a lot but he's hardly a paid shill. If he is who's paying him?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I see no beard.

Seriously. You said you’ve seen 3 or 4 of these videos. If he bothers you so much, why watch more than 1?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

hmmm he recommends some albums and has links to them thru his utube to amazon, so I guess he gets a percentage maybe? why don't I ever think of these things....oh yeah. im way too lazy

7. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I watch a lot of Vinyl Community or "My Record Collection" videos on YouTube.
    There are a few regulars who may not necessarily be getting paid money but are IMO definitely doing it for free records.

Tame reviewers that would never bag anything. Cheap advertising really (cost of a few records given to a popular channel with thousands of subscribers).

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 likes this.
  8. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I had to stop watching his channel due to the eyebrow arch thing he always does.

9. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

ive watched them on and off for about 5 years, did my own for a couple of years, this new breed shocked me, maybe im too critical, but it still smells funny to me

10. the pope ondine

c'mon man, its not like the record companies have ever been involved in anything shady like that

11. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Lot's of people are using the Amazon affiliate program, doesn't make them paid shills anymore then having google ads on a blog.

12. the pope ondine

never said shill but ....definately paid. gotta admire the hustle I guess

ToneLa likes this.
  13. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Vinyl Eyezz

indeed.

and paying somebody to gush over your records online isn't even illegal

14. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I don't want to embarrass you guys....... or myself.

phantomime and Deaf_in_ LA_1974 like this.
  15. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

check this out.
    all that upbeat energy in the vinyl vids, and this dude is just filled with hate.
    Vinyl Eyezz' Creator

azjvm05 and ribonucleic like this.
  16. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

That's not how the Amazon affiliate program works, your implication is that it comes with a list of instructions and what to push. He sticks a bunch of links in the description of all the records he referenced in the video and maybe he'll get a few cents if his viewers click on the links and buy the records.

Maybe that means he won't make videos about records he hates but you don't have to **** on everything to be an honest reviewer, not that I would even classify him as a reviewer. If anyone should pay up it's crossly because he ****s on them all the time. If anyone needs a shill it's crossly.

17. the pope ondine

??? i didn't imply anything. ive watched one of his videos and saw he had amazon links for all the albums he 'reviewed' at the bottom (plus all the audio equipment etc) . so hes getting paid if people click on the links to buy the stuff, if he makes a few sheckles on them good for him i don't judge or care.
    i never said he was a paid shill, maybe hes the next lester bangs :nyah:

18. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

the crosleys are much better than when they first came out, I measured mine at tracking 3.5 gr the other day.
    at this point dumping on crosley is a meme.

Anybody ever heard the beatles eary stuff over AM radio, sounds a hella lot better than my CDs through Bose.

I think a cool test, would be take a dozen radom records from a crosley house and a dozen of steves records and have a blind third party try to figure out which was played on cros and which on super high end gear

19. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

YouTube offers a good opportunity for a motivated person to develop their own channel. The best channels can attract a lot of views, and as a result a lot of ad revenue. Those who create a more professional-looking channel tend to attract more views. I don't have issues with someone putting in a lot of hard work to make their videos look great.

Vinyl Eyezz creator Jarrett New has a degree in film and television production. It appears he has put that degree to use, turning his vinyl hobby into the focus of his production career. My problem is that he regularly offers up bad advice or incorrect statements, slickly edited into videos that many people will watch and follow. He sells himself as more of a vinyl expert than he really is. (His personality can also be grating, but that's another topic.) But that's been a wider problem with TV, radio, and other media for a long time... the loudest voices are almost never the most knowledgeable voices.

On the other hand, Techmoan is a great example of another YouTuber who is regularly coming up with excellent videos and interesting content (even if vinyl is only a small part of what he covers)... and he frankly comes off as more genuine and knowledgeable (even if he's not 100% correct with his facts). His videos aren't as slick, but they are still well-produced and you can tell it's a labor of love for him. I'm perfectly content to skip guys like Vinyl Eyezz and focus my attention on guys like Techmoan instead.

For what it's worth, Techmoan has about 579,000 subscribers while Vinyl Eyezz has about 86,000 subscribers. But he has also tapped into a much wider range of interests... music gear, photography, video, home entertainment, etc.

AlanDistro and nosliw like this.
  20. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Personally I prefer Vinyl Rewind, his videos are a lot more interesting than the stuff Vinyl Eyezz makes.

nosliw and andrewskyDE like this.
  21. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Do you want to look at me or do you want to look at Warren Oates?

Yeah... thought so.

22. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

It's not the grooming or the lighting that gives him away. It's the chirpy morning-TV delivery.

Yeah, screw this guy.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

One can get that polished look with a $400 digital SLR, a $40 lighting kit and a $200 Canon 10-18mm lens.

24. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

It's not any one thing, crept maybe the talking about records like he's not heard them. Like he looked up a pitchfork review and is summarizing.

A 10-18 lens is a superwide but that's a topic for a different forum, I've got a film degree too, I think this is a 35mm fixed lens ( but that really belongs on photo forum)

25. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I should hope they're paid — being a shill for nothing is just pathetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.