Zu Omen Dirty Weekend Sale

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seancito, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I have heard the LM SET integrated, can't remember the model, but it was 22 WPC running 805 or 845 tubes - I'm sure you can look up the model. I cannot say, honestly, that it struck me as anything too superior to the sound I'm getting now from my PrimaLuna Four and Zu DW's. It certainly isn't bad, but, it's $5K vs. the Four's $800, and the difference isn't too apparent - my take on things.

EDIT:

The speakers I've heard with the Line Magnetic amp were not Zu's, obviously. It was some brand I can't really even remember, but it was heavily pushed by the salesman - a red flag for me. Overall sound was very nice, indeed, but nothing to sell the farm for, if you know what I mean...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    theron d likes this.
  2. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Alternate suggestion...

If you're looking at Decware, consider keeping your Rogue and adding a Decware ZRock2 in front of it. Then you'll REALLY see what kind of dynamics the Omen DWs are capable of. Cheaper than a new SET but it makes a big difference in dynamics, bass extension, weight, body, texture. I'm not sure I could live without mine, especially when playing digital. It's kind of targeted toward digital, so YMMV if you're mostly a vinylinist.

theron d likes this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

you just convinced me that i could never live with these speakers...

basie-fan and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Heading to the California Audio Show in Oakland on July 27th specifically to hear the Zu's.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  5. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

Summary:
    In my opinion, these speakers are remarkable!

Details
    Being impressed with what I've read about Zu Audio speakers, I subscribed to their mailing list and was excited when this new run was announced. I purchased not only my first pair of Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend (Natural Maple) but my first set of 'expensive' speakers replacing a pair of Cerwin Vega AT 12. I am not an experienced wordsmith when it comes to describing a listening experience but I thought the information provided on Zu Audio's website articulated my personal experience well.

Three weeks in and I'm still extremely impressed. I hope the 'honeymoon' phase lasts! The detail and life of the music has been enhanced greatly. I've experienced moments of excitement and emotion I haven't had since owning a pair of Klipsch Heresys. Another good impression was realizing I could listen for hours without listening fatigue. With the CVs I'd find myself turning them up to hear detail and wandering over to turn them down after a while.

I had the best time when one of my music enthusiast friends came over and we listened to music for 6 hours straight (no subwoofer) just pouring over Jaco, Beatles, Floyd, Kamasi Washington, hard rock, classic rock...he commented several times "man these sound good" before I even told him they were new or what they were.

My daughters came down and listened to the local FM pop station and were really impressed, they normally can't tell when I've tested various upgrades and they are brutally honest. "I'm coming down here to listen to music now!" (only if you can find the power switch heh heh)

I primarily listen to music on vinyl with the occasional CD/SACD/DVD Audio. SS vintage receiver. No EQ.

Bass/Mid/Highs/Sub
    The bass is so low yet dynamic depending on what I'm listening to, from subtle to a small dinosaur stomping around...almost sounded like two mini sub woofers were in the bottom of each speaker. The mids are spot on and non-harsh or blaring. The highs are clean clear and crisp. [edit] I don't think the treble needs cooled off and I can't stand music overly bright. [end edit] I can hear every cymbal tap and crash. I did add a sub just to give it a little more depth and body but it's turned down pretty low and the crossover is so low due to the range of the Zu's.

Warmth
    I agree with the adjectives used in this thread about the speakers not being overly warm...but certainly not cold. It does seem to be on the "cool side". I'll stick with "accurate" as I prefer that over components that "color" the music.

Low Volume
    Agreed that they perform very well at low volume, so much better than the CVs.

Bringing out the best...or worst
    Agreed, I can hear quality strengths or weaknesses from source to source. I've already put 3 records in the 'to sell' bin lol.

Speaker Position
    Still tweaking with height, distance, and direction. Right now they are 16" from the wall, pointed out just past the listening center, tilted back a bit.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Mateo Sanboval and Whoopycat like this.
  6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

honeymoon phase over. Fatique got me after a while no matter how much positioning/azimuth i played with. Have come to the conclusion that Im a british sound (Harbeth) person. Sent Zu an email waiting to hear back...

7. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Nice, yes they do pair very nicely with vintage SS. I've used a vintage Sansui with mine and loved it.

8. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Very important to learn your own personal sound! I used to be a British sound person and went the other way. :)

9. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

exactly! I have sensitive hearing! Harbeth going 3 years strong! Just on of those things, hopefully Zu will get back to me soon...

Seafinch likes this.
  10. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Thanks for your review, @Fifth-Chord . Much appreciated. I think I'll splurge on a pair when their fall/winter line goes up for sale. Probably going to pair it with the new PS Audio Sprout 100 and see what class D does with these things.

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  11. avanti1960

Have you ever heard horn / other types of HE speakers?

12. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

yes the Klipsch Heresy model 1, same thing just wore on my ears after a while....

avanti1960 likes this.
  13. avanti1960

excellent, thank you. saves me the effort of ever going down that road....

basie-fan, HiFi Guy and theron d like this.
  14. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

now the Dynaco A25 thats one heck of a fun speaker (vintage)....its not perfect but just musical and makes you want to keep listening. warm but very nice mids!!! no listening fatigue at all!!!

avanti1960 and HiFi Guy like this.
  15. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I got the MK2 Dirty Weekends when they first came out. Thought they sound good with Solid state amplification. Recently paired them with my Raven Audio Blackhawk and holy cow. Soundstage is wide and deep.
    The Zu’s are a great pairing with tube amplification, like every one recommend. I don’t have the need for tone controls with the Raven amp, no harsh highs to worry about. I set up mine with a slight toe in and find that works best for me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Joe Spivey likes this.
  16. McRib

McRib Well-Known Member

I have these hooked up to MMF 7.3/2M Bronze - Budgie/Gold Lion - NAD 316BEE. The "bargain" pairing with the NAD is great! Smooth, detailed, and plenty loud - they sound great a low volume but beg to be turned up. All genres have been fun but as mentioned acoustic recordings shine. Absolutely floored by Music Matters Blue Note reissues all over again. Also as mentioned they do not hide source weaknesses, but I haven't found anything unlistenable and it's a tradeoff I'm more than happy with.

In short, if you have high-end experience and you're coming down in budget hoping for a bargain you might be more picky. But if you're firmly in the $1k or less range you'll probably be thrilled with the value.

Whoopycat likes this.
  17. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Curious about this: is there anything in the 'published' specs of speakers that would tell you if they do well at low volume or not? Trying to weed my list of audition candidates down and I want this low volume / great performance capability.

18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Generally speaking, with exceptions as always, high efficiency speakers will fill that bill.

cut-out likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Here is the LM SET that you are referring to.

Benzion, this is the LM amp that you are referring to.

[​IMG]

But, I assure you, it IS something to sell the farm for.

Running the Zu, Omen Definition's with the Five, is a step up form the Four, due to its power supply, cap and other upgrades.

The ANKit L4 and the LM 211iA are both step up's from the Five.

The LM 518iA SET is a BIG step up from the L4 and the 211iA.

20. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I didn't hear it with the Zu's, but with some other speakers that guy was pushing. With those speakers, the sound did not sway me. I will trust your opinion, but I have no need of an amp right now, especially no integrated ones. I took great pains to go with separates in both systems, not going back to an integrated, however good it is.

21. SandAndGlass

Most highly efficient speakers have plenty of drive at low volumes.

No, you could nor should you, no reason to. see below.

I don't think that listening to highly efficient speaker's all the time is a good thing, unless your ears are begging for listening fatigue.

I have their Omen Definition's and with the wrong amp and the wrong source material, they will send you running for the door.

Because I have several pairs of highly efficient speaker's, I also have several pairs of lower (average) efficiency speakers.

High efficiency speaker's are not for everyone and not for most homes. I will say, that my large A7's are nowhere as harsh sounding as the Zu's, with the same program material.

OUCH!

No need for you to.

Benzion, I am a separates kind of guy, if there ever was one.

But, the 518iA is a different kind of integrated. Input #4 is the input that you use, if you already have a preamp in the circuit, which I do.

My preamp is made by a division of Carey Audio and is I'm sure superior to the preamp section in the LM.

You are fine with your Four, living in a NY apartment and having the system in your bedroom.

22. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

If you like warm sounding speakers, my guess is you'd better audition the Omen Zu's first. I did some years back and went with something different.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

That would be correct. The Zu's are anything but warm sounding. I have a pair of Omen Definitions, with the original driver's. I plan on upgrading these drivers, which should help take the edge off a bit.

If you don't plan on using a tube amp, pass on the Zu's. Zu's and SS is a no-no.

Also, if ou are listening to music like Jazz, vocal's or acoustic instruments, music along those lines, Zu's might work well for you (with tube amps).

If you listen to music that is overly dynamic to begin with or has a hard edge on it, like metal, stay away!

Craig Barrington likes this.
  24. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

If you find the original drivers unforgiving, you may not like the 16 ohm drivers. They are physically deeper and heavier, and increase the speed, attack, and resolution. They are more picky about source and amp than the 12 ohm drivers which are warmer sounding.

Simply not true. Now, based on the photos of your room that you've posted, which appears to me to be a hard tile floor with little damping, then yes, I can see where some SS (and tube) amps might pose a problem. I've run about 8 or 9 different amps on various Zu models, both tube and SS, and it really just varies by amp (and room).

I'd wager this is a minority opinion among Zu owners. I'm listening to Jimmy Raney on the Omen DWs as I type but I play rock, blues, afrobeat, electronic, postpunk, indie, alt-country, etc.

My brother-in-law was visiting last week and he wanted to hear my DefHeads. He's a metalhead, so I pulled out one of the few stoner metal CDs I have and he was slackjawed as he listened. There was no edge or glare of any kind, and we were listening somewhere between 80-85db. But the DefHeads have the Radian tweeter and much more robust cabinet bracing than Omen DW or Omen Def, and my bedroom is heavily damped with carpet and thick curtains. Again, looking at your room, rock might be a tough go.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. avanti1960

I really want to hear the Madisound re-make kit of these speakers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.