ZZ Top Cinco: The First Five LPs (5LP 180 Gram Vinyl) June 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masterbucket, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Hate it too, but will prevail. We have a saying here: when you don't know the reason why, it's money! :D probably they do it to cash us the customers more: ka-ching!

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The music business has never worked that way, the whole structure was to have different regions with publishing rights that are not global.
    The question isn't why can't everyone on the globe buy the exact same record, it's why does some vinyl sound suck.
    You should stop and think through what you're asking for.

What you're wishing for is actually kind of frightening on a macro level. You want every small music company to go out of business to leave
    only multinational corporate control of all content? no thanks, the business is already way too consolidated. The irony of your vision is that
    the biggest global companies usually push crap, and it's the tiny independents who are passionate about vinyl and still care about sound quality.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  3. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Yes, I have no doubt :realmad:

4. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Why is EU pressing of Cinco inferior compared to US? As far as I understand they use the exactly the same stampers here in Europe as were used in US. Do we use lower quality vinyl matter/substance here or there are technical flaws common here, not skilled engineers? Please explain.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    sonofjim likes this.
  5. Munros1969

Don't agree... why would I want these firms out of business? All I want is that, regardless of where I live, I can buy a decent quality reissue. No reason why that would help the big companies at the expense of the small independents. I'm happy to buy from them, regardless of the price. What I do object to is the larger firms issuing one product which is released at a differing quality depending on where you live. I'm not asking for global publishing rights, rather that if I buy the ZZ Top Cinco set in the UK that I can get a set that's the same quality that I could buy in the US, ideally without a massive markup. But, if it costs more to do that, so be it. I just don't want the default to be a substandard (but equally costly) EU pressing. For what it's worth, I've been very happy to buy from lablels such as Numero direct from the US, regardless of the premium.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Metalrob likes this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My understanding as well. All I can say for sure is that the US set is more than good enough for me. As I understood it, the EU ended up being the same mastering pressed at RI though.

7. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Still waiting for mine, and can't wait it :D

8. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I think this (perceived issue) is just a projection from some other project where there was some problem with the UK vs US deliveries. Companies do tend to make changes when they become aware that they screwed up or customers are not happy. It's not in their best interest to keep pissing off their clentele.

As far as I can tell, no one has actually said the two regions have separate pressings. I'd like to know if they are actually different.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Munros1969 likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You're right @Spin Doctor , nobody has said that.

10. Spin Doctor

Thanks for your through clarification

11. Myke

Thorough ? You're welcome. It's easy to get confused in a thread this long, and I wanted to know the answer myself.

12. Spin Doctor

I honestly couldn't tell if you were being kinda snarky. I assumed you were pointing to the one post that mentioned a problem with the EU pressings.... Although it's tough to put a value judgment on a single post.

13. Myke

I don't do "snarky," I'm a grandfather.
    Anyway, my point was clarification. Page after page after page turns into a lot of speculation. If the facts are dragged out into the light, there is clarification.
    :tiphat:

Munros1969 likes this.
  14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think it has by now been established that there are two pressings, as in made at two plants, although they share the same mastering, so any differences should be down to the quality of the material and manufacturing process, the actual information cut into the grooves should be the same.

ODShowtime likes this.
  15. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

Does anyone here can post his opinion on this set?
    I'm still hesitating about ordering the US one.
    What about the EU version?
    What is the best version to collect?

16. Munros1969

I'm still waiting on the US set. Will post my thoughts once it arrives, probably at end of next week. With hindsight I feel I should have gone for the EU set... I would have had it next day and could easily return if it wasn't up to par. However, fingers crossed the US edition will be as good as some say.

17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Is anyone aware of any UK or European deals on this set yet? Amazon UK still has it for £80

18. Munros1969

I think that's as good as you're going to get. I saw it yesterday in Coda Music in Edinburgh for £90 and, at the weekend, in HMV for over £100.

Porkpie likes this.
  19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Want the first 2 albums badly.. now that rhino roktober has announced first album is coming I wonder if we'll see the second anytime soon.

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The Chris Bellman remaster of Rio Grand Mud has been available since 2011. This is the same one included in the box set.

ZZ Top - Rio Grande Mud

Ryan_Pretzel, ODShowtime and Opeth like this.
  21. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, apologies if I snoozed on this info lol
    I know the next LP i'm buying !

jon9091 likes this.
  22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

No worries! I'm glad there are still some available.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  23. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

When is ZZ Top First Album coming out?

24. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I don't think the original London pressings on these are anything special sonically; that 70s era London vinyl tends to be noisy even when squeaky clean.

25. 24 Oct. 2017

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.