ZZ Top: 'Double Down Live' DVD (19/10/2009)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grim177, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grim177

Grim177 Forum Resident Thread Starter

:cheers:

http://www.eaglerockent.com/eaglerockUSA/media_detail.php?media_id=1064

Synopsis

Double Down Live is a 2 DVD set from ZZ Top combining shows from 1980 and 2008. Disc one was filmed at the Grugahalle in Essen, Germany for the Rockpalast TV series. Hot on the heels of their classic “Deguello” album (it features 9 of the 10 songs from it) the show finds ZZ Top before sequencers and synthesizers epitomising their “lil’ ol’ blues band from Texas” nickname. Complimented by tracks drawn predominantly from their “Tres Hombres” and “Fandango!” albums this is a true best of ZZ Top in the seventies. Disc Two was shot during their European tour in 2008 and combines great live performances, interview clips and back stage footage to create the ultimate ZZ Top on the road movie. With nearly 30 years between the performances the two disc set gives a fascinating “then and now” insight into what has maintained the ZZ Top live phenomenon.

Disc One – Definitely Then 1980
    1) I Thank You 2) Waitin’ For the Bus 3) Jesus Just Left Chicago 4) Precious And Grace 5) I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide 6) Manic Mechanic 7) Lowdown In The Street 8) Heard It On The X 9) Fool For Your Stockings 10) Nasty Dogs & Funky Kings 11) El Diablo 12) Cheap Sunglasses 13) Arrested For Driving While Blind 14) Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers 15) La Grange 16) She Loves My Automobile 17) Hi Fi Mama 18) Dust My Broom 19) Jailhouse Rock 20) Tush 21) Tube Snake Boogie 22) Just Got Paid
    Disc Two – Almost Now 2008
    1) Got Me Under Pressure 2) Waitin’ For The Bus 3) Jesus Just Left Chicago 4) I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide 5) Blue Jean Blues 6) Heard It On The X 7) Just Got Paid 8) I Need You Tonight 9) La Grange (with Sloppy Drunk & Bar-B-Q) 10) Hey Joe 11) Tush

2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:cool::cool::cool:

There is something nice and original about ZZ before the synths. The youtube stuff form Rockpalast looks good, so count me in.:thumbsup:

3. Doesn't look like there will be a Blu-ray version.

4. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Why waste one of the DVDs with a show from 2008 when they just put out a DVD recently with just about the same show?

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

^ My thoughts exactly. Surely there's an Eliminator/Afterburner tour that could have been disc 2 instead, with the 2008 "interview clips and back stage footage" included as a bonus feature.

6. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Disc 2? Like that'll ever get played in my house. That disc one will be in serious heavy rotation. I've got a not-so-great copy of it and it's an amazing show. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout...

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Any Top on DVD is a plus! :)

The Rockpalast show is a great one. IIRC, there was a show form 1982 in Germany that was also videotaped for TV.

8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

This is the part that makes me not even excited about Disc ONE, nevermind disc 2. I'm a huge fan of 70's ZZ Top, but they lost me completely (more than ANY other band/artist that I am a fan of ....... no wait, there's Aerosmith, too) when they started introducing synths & sequencers into their sound.

ZZ Top went from a basic kick *** 3 piece rock & roll band to something completely devoid of originality or merit, IMO.

Now, if they were to release a show from say '75 or '76, I'd be all over that. I'll probably be passing on this one, even though I do love the "Deguello" LP. It just sounds like they're using that "MTV approved" sound on this gig already.

9. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

disc one is pre-synthesiser (deguello tour)

10. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

ZZ Top hates me. DVD 1 has 9 of 10 songs from Deguello. Esther Be The One is missing. It's also my favorite track. Been looking for a live version for years. Never even seen it listed on a ROIO. Maybe they just don't like it.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'll hold out for the Blu-Ray. At this point, I simply refuse to buy standard def dvd's anymore unless its something I am absolutely certain will never see a hi-rez release.

12. I agree. That is what Blu-ray does to you. The last standard DVD I bought was Deep Purple's 2-DVD set Highlights. That one is probably not worth a Blu-ray disc due to the poor quality of the original footage.

13. Grim177

http://www.myspace.com/goatfilm

Greetings ZZ TOP fans near and far,

As some of you may know, in 2007 I produced and directed a film titled "Rock and Roll Gearhead-4 Days with Billy F Gibbons". The film was selected to be screened at a number of film festivals around the US that year and won a Gold Remi Award at Houston Worldfest. (For more info go to www.myspace.com/goatfilm)

On the merit of that film Billy invited me to go on tour to document ZZ TOP shows through the US and Europe in 2008 . This was an amazing experience as it was the first time ever the band allowed a filmmaker to board the bus and spend the amount of time filming them as I did.

The culmination of that footage is nearing completion and will soon be released internationally with the current working title- "ZZ TOP Double Down Live".

Most of the footage was captured on a single camera pointed at a new subject or angle each night. It was my ambition to capture ZZ in a form best suited for them... Raw!

So keep your ears to the ground... It'll be available in the upcoming months.

Have Mercy Yall!

Jamie Burton Chamberlin
    Producer/Director
    ZZ TOP- Double Down Live

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I've been at the ROCKPALAST gig at that time... one of the hottest acts I've seen. The pinnacle of ZZ Top.

15. Grim177

16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Glad they are putting out something that shows they could actually play without relying on
    beards, videos and synths. They lost me after the Tejas album.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

+

Right... the last great ZZ Top album was Degüello.

18. Grim177

I'm afraid all three are present to varying degrees on the Rockpalast show ;)

19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Jamie - any progress on getting your film out and about in a wider form?

20. Grim177

http://www.uberstudios.com/z2z/book.html

"I am hoping to have "Rock and Roll Gearhead" out sometime after "Double Down Live"... I was asked by the powers that be to have the concert film come out first.. But Gearhead definitely needs to be available to you as well.

JC"

21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

If it was filmed on Video its probably not worth a Blu Ray release (its never going to be Hi def) unless they are going to fully bit rate the sound track (Unlikely given the age of the better disc 1980 )

22. Cool, but...already seen it :sigh: Where's the 70s stuff already? I'd be more excited over the entire Largo 76 concert in minty quality.

23. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

C'mon Claus.... you can't tell me you didn't think Eliminator had some great stuff on it. I Got the Six... Sharp Dressed Man... Got Me Under Pressure...
    some of their all-timers!

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I want one of those "Takin' Texas To the People" shows, where live cattle wandered around on stage while they performed.

25. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

Wow, just seen this sitting on the shelf at my local music emporium and thought 'great HMV are stocking another bootleg (they've had Aerosmith and White Stripes stuff lately), but no! This is the real deal! I'm exstatic this has finally been released!

Yep, for those of you holding out for Blu-Ray - forget it, the 1980 show was shot on 625-line PAL videotape, Blu-Ray will not enhance it one iota.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.