zz top FANDANGO makes my cd drive lock up..anyone else experience this with any cds?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bigmikerocks, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

so every time i put FANDANGO into my brand new computer's disc drive, it will lock up whatever programs i'm using that deal with the disc drives ( itunes, disc copying software, explorer)

and it won't let me eject the cd. like i can push eject, and sometimes it will eject like 10 minutes later, sometimes i have to reboot

i've put quite a few (probably 30) discs into my drive with no trouble at all, FANDANGO is the only one that does this

i've played the entire cd (in brand new condition) in my home cd player with no issues at all

it's the newer rhino remastered version

any ideas?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Too much Texas HEAT ??? :realmad: a-haw-haw-haw-haw...

3. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

well i would be inclined to believe that if it didn't play TRES HOMBRES just fine!!!!

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

There's gotta be a computer whiz here, out of 20,000 + members...can't wait to see the explanation myself. :righton:

5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

haven't heard of Rhino using that insidious copy-protection scheme that damages one's computer if you put in in the drive ...
    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/11/sonys_drm_rootk.html
    so that's likely not it!

I bet the drive is just a bit 'on the fringe' as far as the calibration/tracking is concerned, and the disk is probably pressed with the tracks' spacing 'on the fringe' on the 'other side of the curve'.

These things are set up to a desired value, but there are manufacturing tolerances involved (so things are a little 'off' one way or the other). My iMac can burn CDRs, but if I try to put 20+ songs on a single disc (nearing the 80 minute capacity) some players start skipping/balking near the end of the CD.

I figured it was the tolerance 'buildup'/mismatch thing ...? and I think CD drives in PCs are more picky about these things than regular CD players?

Guess, but makes sense to me.

6. Sorry I don't know the Rhino release but does it contain additional tracks or data? If it has bonus tracks, an improperly adjusted laser might have trouble reading/playing a long cd.

7. I have this disc, made in USA by Sonopress, and it plays fine in my Windows XP PC. No problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.