ZZ Top vinyl remasters...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tweed_champ, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweed_champ

tweed_champ Active Member Thread Starter

Anybody get a chance to listen to the recent remasters of Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres, and Deguello? Popmarket has a great deal going right now for all three, and it says they're cut from the original master tapes. I'm a *huge* fan of those albums, and would love to pick up new pressings (provided they sound good)

2. If Tres Hombres is the Kevin Gray/Steve Hoffman through Rhino, yes! yes! yes!

Deguello, and I may very possibly be wrong, is a Bernie Grundman offering. I have good copies of Deguello & Rio Grande Mud, so I haven't sought them out.

3. tweed_champ

It's through Popmarket, which I believe handles Sony Legacy? I didn't see anything about Rhino.

4. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

The Rhino reissues of Deguello and Rio Grande Mud were cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman mastering. I would assume that these Popmarket offerings are the Rhino reissues (are there any other current reissues of those albums?).
    Popmarket have offered Rhino LPs prevously. I bought the Ramones Rhino reissues from them f'rinstance.

5. tweed_champ

Excellent news! I'm big fans of their work. Thank you.

6. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I can second the opinions above: they are all excellent.

7. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Buy with confidence!

8. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

I can confirm that these are the Rhino LPs...

9. tweed_champ

Thanks you guys! At $50 for 3 albums, I'm definitely picking these up soon.

10. Does anybody know what mastering was used for this version which just came out in Europe in 2014:

http://www.discogs.com/ZZ-Top-Tres-Hombres/release/5738707

It has the same barcode as the RTI pressing from the US. This new version was pressed at Optimal in Germany and there are mastering initials JP in the deadwax. Is this a different mastering from the SH/KG cut.

11. What about 'Fandango!'? Wasn't that part of those releases too?

12. Fat Bob

Fat Bob Forum Resident

I can't answer your question about the mastering, but I bought this recently and it sounds great to my ears.

13. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I have seen various references to Tres Hombres in the great/best sounding vinyl threads.

I made the mistake of buying the EU 2014 Optimal Rhino version, which to me sounds lifeless, flat and, frankly, horrible. I only have an early UK version of Eliminator to compare it to, but ZZ Top sound like two different bands on the two pressings.

I should have delved deeper, and realised that folks were praising the 2006 or 2007 US Rhino remaster by our host and Kevin Gray, which is still available in the UK from eBay traders. I'm sure that must be much better.

Another poster made pretty much the same comment in one of the other threads, so I just thought I would add to it, so folks look out for the "right" one.

14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The EU pressings of Tres Hombres and Fandango! are different masterings to the US, but I think my EU pressing of Degüello has the Chris Bellman mastering, and it could be that way with Rio Grande Mud too (the listing on Discogs seem to suggest masterings are the same).

DoF likes this.
  15. I didn't know the EU pressings were different masterings for some of the albums. I have a EU pressing of Tres Hombres, now I am interested in hearing the Rhino US Version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.