Vic Anesini: Any Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

From his website:

Vic Anesini is one of the premier catalogue mastering engineers in the world. For the past 27 years, he has been a Senior Mastering Engineer at Sony Music Entertainment, where he has brought his talents to master and mix music legends such as Aerosmith, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Janis Joplin, Santana, Elvis Presley, Sly & the Family Stone, The Byrds and Stevie Ray Vaughan, Cheap Trick, Lou Reed, Hall & Oates, Jeff Buckley and James Taylor . Vic joined Sony during the exponential growth of the Compact Disc. This gave him the opportunity to apply his skills to the reissue of hundreds of catalogue albums and newer box sets; making him an expert in utilizing digital technology to deliver authentic sound. This recognition propelled him to be an in-demand mastering engineer for a broad range of current artists.

Love his work on the classic Johnny Cash and Elvis catalogues. How about you?

2. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

I like his Phil Spector work. It's a shame he didn't get to do the River Deep - Mountain High album from 1966.

goodiesguy, ebro, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I think the Aerosmith cd's he did are the best versions. Was also listening to some Beck last night I noticed he was credited for stuff. Not sure what else I listen to he's had a hand in, but I like the stuff I'm aware of.

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Are these the ones from the Box of Fire box? Those are some great-sounding CDs!

5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I would love it if a heavy metal band would hire him to remaster their catalog. Perhaps he could lead by example and pave the way for sane mastering in the hard rock and metal genres. Nikki Sixx owns all the Motley Crue master tapes. Ahh. A man can dream...

6. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

His work on some of the Roy Orbison reissues is very good.

RSteven and Chemically altered like this.
  7. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Just been listening to Vic's Clash on Broadway and Super Blackmarket Clash today.....

KipB, davers, fantgolf and 1 other person like this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

His Guess Who stuff is wonderful. There was a rumor years ago he was going to do the Argent catalog. that would have been glorious.

Rockin' Robby, rxcory and Dok like this.
  9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I would rate him average to maybe slightly above average. I own or have owned many of his discs, for example Stevie Ray Vaughan, Santana, Spirit, Aerosmith, etc. Many times I find these titles to sound better on original releases or Mobile Fidelity. I find his masterings to generally sound a little bright for my tastes. Similar to Mark Wilder but overall I would put him above Wilder. I prefer Hoffman, Gray, Diament, and Drake.

serj, kiddo4, George P and 2 others like this.
  10. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

His name is definitely a selling point to me. Love his work on the Aerosmith catalog and the Clash on Broadway set.

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I remember buying a couple comps from Poco and Mott The Hoople, and marveling that they sounded so good, almost like DCC discs. Turned out both had been mastered by Anesini.

CLASH ON BROADWAY is the best Clash I've heard on CD, by far.

fantgolf and Chemically altered like this.
  12. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

When I see his name on a reissue I instantly relax..

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Discogs shows 69 of his titles in my collection, and by now it's a common sense move to buy based on his association.

goodiesguy, rxcory, Dok and 4 others like this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm a fan of his Santana work.....his mastering choices on Santana III are fantastic.

15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Yep, I had BoF back in the day and sold it foolishly when I unloaded all my ceedees 15 years back. I had a lot of first US masterings and actual good remasters. Recently bought S/T, Get Your Wings and Rocks off the forum.

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

For me the phrase "Vic Anesini: Any Love?" is redundant ;-)

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

18. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

I have the BLU-SPEC CD2 versions of Aerosmith's GYW,Rocks & TITA. Would these be "Vic's" work just reissued in a "new" CD format?Or a different mastering?

Opeth likes this.
  19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Lots of love!

Chemically altered likes this.
  20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

When I see Vic Anesini or Mark Wilder in the mastering credits, I know there's a 99% chance I'm going to like what I hear.

21. Similar feeling here. Good stuff!

22. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Aerosmith - Rocks
    this states 1993 mastering, the other 2 don't say at least on anything i can see on discogs...

you could compare your GYW to this and maybe see
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Chemically altered and Natvecal. like this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A guarantee of good sound!

24. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I am a fan. I enjoyed his work on Simon & Garfunkel as well as many others.

25. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Love his work on the first two Taj Mahal albums.

His name is a sign of quality for me.

Chemically altered, rxcory and art like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.