Mini Hi-Fi Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pop_Zeus, Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess this is not something that’s talked about much in here, but I desperately need a new mini hi-fi for my bedside. I have a circa £100 Sony CD one which still has a cassette deck (!). It keeps crapping out; saying ‘no disc’ when there IS a disc in, display flickering a lot, power cutting out randomly, etc. On its last legs really. Tried changing the fuse but no use.

What mini hi-fi units should I look at? Want to avoid cheapo stuff, but not sure I want to stretch to Denon D-M41 prices, would consider it though if they really are that good and likely to last a long time. All I want is for it play CDs, have a USB/aux in for iPod, sound good and sit on a bedside table even if it overhangs a little.

As it’s always the unit that craps out on these, my speakers are actually ok and I even kept the speakers from my previous one just in case, so I have the option just to buy the central unit without speakers

2. Denon Mini systems sound great. We have the RCD-M35DAB in our living room. Sounds superb. For a laugh i tried the speakers with my system in the music room. They held their own. I was amazed.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  3. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

No recent experience here (does that ever stop anyone from responding?), but ran across the Marantz M-CR611 during a recent surf of audio sites. Looked interesting.

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Might look for a Proton AI-3000 II. They made some compact units. Some even had decent speakers.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  5. I know this model. Sound is a bit thin and not anywhere as good as Denon models imo. Just my view

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Denon

Pop_Zeus and Fishoutofwater like this.
  7. Denon DM41 DAB. Has good reviews.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  8. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I have a Denon CEOL system from a few years ago and it’s been great - CD, DAB, radio, internet streaming. Sounds nice too with my little Q Acoustics bookshelf speakers.

MC Rag and Fishoutofwater like this.
  9. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just ordered a Denon D-M41 DAB unit only for £179. When I previously looked they were £280 without speakers. Will see how I get on with the 2 sets of Sony speakers I already have

10. You will love it. For that price you cant go wrong

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  11. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

astro70 likes this.
  12. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

If you're open to 2nd hand an Arcam solo mini or a Linn Classik K will give you great sound for under £200.

13. Dominic jefferson

Dominic jefferson Forum Resident

I have the Denon Dm41 dab paired with Dali Spektor 2s and love it.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  14. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

How do the Dalis compare with the Denon speakers?

15. Dominic jefferson

Dominic jefferson Forum Resident

I love the Dalis. Better build quality and finish. All round more balanced performance with a natural expressive sound and pretty solid sound stage. Denons were a little over precise and cold for me. I think the Spektor 2 is a startlingly good speaker for its price point and would hold its own against many in the next.

tanqueray cowboy likes this.
  16. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

PS Audio Sprout 100. Speakers of you choice. Emotiva TA-100 is little bigger but one piece would do it all if wanting FM. How small does it have to be? I think the sprout would be better than the all in one micro systems. I just saw you wanted cd so forget all I said.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  17. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

I like Klipsch speakers but a lot of people may not agree. I saw nice reviews on these but again I don't know how small you need.

Revel Concerta2 MI6

18. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

Im going to have to read little closer. Hope you like what you are getting.

19. Ignace Erauw

Ignace Erauw Member

Hi everybody,

My first contribution !

Anyone still using the LINN Classik ?

I have 2 questions someone might answer or could help.
    Those who have one know all depends on the remote control !
    Which is risky, if you loose it, you have no control over your All in system.

My questions.
    1. If I am in tuner mode or cd mode, the most important ones, the display with information turns into - - after a few seconds.
    So if my tuner part is on fm 98 , it displays but disappears quite fast. Same with cd info.
    There is a display button on the remote, but this one resets the display and your tuner station....
    Anyone knows what can keep the display ?

2. More technical. But I need to go with the volume button up to 55 for a decnt sound, if not more whereas most high end systems and even low
    budget amps stay far under the half of the maximum.
    everything depends on how loud anybody considers loud or very loud.
    But I expected surely to stay under 50. My Myryad MI All in only needs some 30.

2 might be something that cannot be altered, so question 1 might find an answer here.

Thanks.
    Ignace

20. sdiegolo

sdiegolo Member

I own a Denon Ceol N9. I was wondering out of curiosity, what kind of internal DAC does this system have (is it a Burr Brown, Wolfson, Cirrus logic, ESS Sabre)? According to the specs, there's only generic information stating it is 24/192khz dac. I contacted the Denon assistance but they could not answer my question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.