Tanita Tikaram — thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The issue is she has got about zero publicity for the last 25 years. I doubt many people are aware she is still performing and making records. Since her albums only came out on CD I pretty much didn't notice any releases, but for me that went for many artists that went to CD only after the early 90s. I've only got partly back into CD recently due to improved playback capability and been catching up on various artists 90s and 00s back catalogue. Yet to delve into TTs latter catalogue yet.

Alan2 likes this.
  2. El Nuevo Rich-o

El Nuevo Rich-o Forum Resident

Was never seen in the same room as Lloyd Cole back in the day, which raised suspicions in some quarters.

3. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Alan2 likes this.
  4. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

For a long time, I think there was a scene centered around feminist/lesbian/women artists that was pretty good about supporting its own. (I'm not talking Lilith Fair, but something far smaller-scale, and network-based.)

My impression is that many artists in that demographic who had a brush (or more than a brush) with mainstream success were, later in their career, able to putter along through a combination of small-scale touring plus consistent sales in, I'm guessing, the 5K-20K range. For some of them, that was more than satisfactory, and allowed them to live their lives and have economic stability without chasing anything bigger.

Of course, a lot of smaller "scenes" operate exactly the same way -- hardcore punk, free improvisation, certain types of New Age, whatever. But this one had a high degree of loyalty, and had enough people (many of them 40+ years old) willing to pay premium prices for small-venue shows and CDs so that the artist could make a living.

I don't know if CD sales have cratered in that demographic as much as they have elsewhere. Nor do I know if it's still as robust as it used to be -- obviously COVID-19 has destroyed the touring aspect -- or how much TT participated. But it wouldn't be unusual for an artist like TT to be 100% OK with a smaller-scale career, playing to small audiences who know her music.

5. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting that she covered this Abba song when it was so new.

pantofis likes this.
  6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I’m not sure whether you are talking about all her releases or just later ones being CD only, but her debut album (the one with the big hits) came out on vinyl, and sounds very good too. :)

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I said last 25 years. First 3 albums came out on vinyl records. The debut was 34 years ago now.

8. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Agree at least 100%. The debut album is just about perfect; the second varies a bit in quality, but never below "good". I especially like "Sunset´s Arrived" from the second - those drunk horns are amazing!

strummer101 and bob60 like this.
  9. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

I like her "sound" a lot, and have done since she first emerged, but the few later albums that I listened to were a bit bland and the songs themselves lacked substance and direction to my ears. I'm always keen to give her another go, and I'd be keen to catch a live show if she did one close by. I certainly find her more interesting than some of the singer-songwriters who have emerged to much acclaim in recent years. And her very name sounds like a catchy folk-song!!!

Dave Gilmour's Cat and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Dave Gilmour's Cat

I nearly gave up with Tanita after hearing The Cappuccino Songs. Just didn’t like the sound or feel. But Lovers in the City is absolutely excellent, with stronger songwriting and great atmosphere, so I have been won over again.

Jarleboy, Alan2 and strummer101 like this.
  11. Fred Dender

Fred Dender Forum Resident

She got an ancient heart!

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

Her Twitter messages are always worth reading.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Surprised that more Zombies fans haven't gotten into her, since producing her was Rod Argent's main gig in the '90s and his mark is all over her first four albums.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

A Valentine Heart. Which should not be Preyed Upon.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

By your logic anyone born in America is a Native American.

Native American is a term of origin and cultural identity that has nothing to do with national boundaries. The child would not be a U.S. citizen, but would still be Native American if they chose to identify with their indigenous heritage and preferred that term.

Back on topic, thanks for the intro to Tanita, I like her singing.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Jarleboy likes this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Rod Argent was interviewed by Bob Lefsetz for Bob's podcast a few months ago.

They discussed Tanita Tikaram. Rod, who seems like a level-headed and generous person, basically said that for the first album, he and Peter Van Hooke (arranger) got Tanita to come into the studio and sing her songs, and then built the arrangement around her. He suggested that it was a very sympathetic match. But as time went on, Tanita became more certain she knew how to build her songs and pushed Argent and Van Hooke to the sidelines. Without specifically saying it, Argent said she got increasingly difficult, to the detriment of her music.

ostrichfarm, bob60 and Jarleboy like this.
  17. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Yes those exotic names do tend to remind us of the few reference points in our extremely limited contact with, lack of awareness of, and total non-interest we have in alien cultures.

Michael McDonald always makes me think of hamburgers.

18. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

She did background vocals on Nanci Griffith’s album Late Night Grande Hotel, produced by Rod Argent.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Sentimental is gorgeous, isn’t it? Such a shame that this later work is overlooked.

20. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

I have only Ancient Heart and bought it around the time of release. There are a few great songs on this (Good Tradition is my favorite) and I enjoy her delivery - the poster who pointed out similarities to Margo Timmins is spot on, I think - but I found the album maddeningly inconsistent style wise. I suspect others might enjoy the stylistic diversity more. I have heard good things about The Sweet Keeper.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. PhoenixWoman

Yes, I love the call and response between them on "It's Too Late". I don't remember if she was on other tracks.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

That’s a fair point. The other albums seem more consistent within themselves.

23. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

I remember she had 2 hit singles in 1988, and I saw her live that same year, and there were three more singles in 89 & 90 that didn't do so well (and I just discovered there was a 6th single in 1991 that I never heard). I've not thought about her since then.

24. PhoenixWoman

I see that Good Tradition was a hit in the UK. It did nothing in the US. She's pretty much only known for Twist in My Sobriety here among those who heard it back then.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. andy_a

andy_a Forum Resident

I think the last album I bought of hers was "Closer to the People" which must have been 5 years or so ago..? Not sure if there's been any since, certainly not noticed any. I don't really dislike any of the catalogue but I rarely dig any out of the racks. If was in that mellow female singer / songwriter mood I'd probably head for latter-day Aimee Mann or maybe Nernia Pallot.

This thread will prompt me to dig a couple out though. Thanks :thumbsup:

Jarleboy likes this.