Best 1960s TV Series ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

The Avengers,
    Run for Your Life

alexpop likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I loved The Time Tunnel! We also used to watch Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, but by the lesser episodes it was dubbed To The Bottom Of The Bathtub. :sigh:

I have a DVD that came from a UK The Prisoner fan club with a lot of behind the scenes info, also one with different opening/ending credits and totally different music for a couple episodes, a different edit entirely with some different scenes on one, like it was the pilot packaged early on to send to the U.S. but then not used? These would require a Region 2 player I think.

alexpop likes this.
  3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

They should have done a second take on the b-roll. Oliver changes arms when he grabs Lisa at the end. (56-:59)

alexpop and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. D-Rex

D-Rex Senior Member

Flintstones

no cartoon series came close to this level.
    german dubbing is particularly funny because they secondary characters speak regional dialects.
    like viennese or swabian.

alexpop likes this.
  5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

There are two such full episodes that have been issued on various box sets of THE PRISONER. The pilot, "Arrival" and "The Chimes Of Big Ben" both have these early-edits that managed to be sent out to TV stations for syndication purposes. There had been rumors for years of these oddly edited episodes with different music and slightly different edits and one finally turned up - "The Chimes of Big Ben" languishing in a vault at a Canadian TV station. It was first sent out to the public on early box set A&E DVDs of the show. That first disc of the set was also placed inside the book, THE PRISONER - THE OFFICIAL COMPANION TO THE CLASSIC TV SERIES by Robert Fairclough, as an extra.

That print was in pretty poor condition and is difficult to watch, particularly on today's great TVs. It has a different theme song (one composed by Albert Elms instead of the familiar one by Ron Grainer), has an extra scene where № 6 uses a makeshift triquetrum to attempt to locate his position on Earth and explains it briefly to Nadia. Other scenes are trimmed differently and the end credits are different. Fans thought this was a great discovery and were happy to have it.

Then someone, somewhere unearthed another early copy of "Arrival". This one was in much better shape and has been restored on the Blu-ray sets to full high-def. It's got the same alternate theme and the same kinds of different scene trims as the other, but looks and sounds much better. My Blu-ray set from Network has both. "Arrival" is on a Blu-ray as a bonus, but "Chimes" is relegated to another bonus disc that's only a DVD.

alexpop and beccabear67 like this.
  6. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Around 2000, when the U.K. Complete Prisoner dvd box came out ..there’s was three soundtrack CDs ( all different cover designs) wish I got them now ...
    ... never to be seen again.

8. alexpop

I held onto my dvd box.

9. HGN2001

Soundtracks for THE PRISONER?

My collection is awash with them!
    Years ago (mid-late 80s), I joined the Six Of One club and was given a soundtrack CD.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I thought this was just the best. Many great cues were here, and I delighted in the fact that there was no record label, only a mysterious note that the thing was "Compiled by Number Two."

In my adventures in record stores, later on, I stumbled upon another PRISONER soundtrack. The cover and artwork were both different, but the sonics were identical to the CD I already had. This one was from Silva Screen and made in the UK.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. HGN2001

Then in further travels, I stumbled upon a Volume 2 for this Silva Screen CD. This one had lots of new cues along with some library cues.

[​IMG] It also had a Channel 4 logo on it that's missing in this picture.

All of these sounded great. There were a couple of library cues that had surface noise from being needledrops, but otherwise, sounding great.

I believe the three CDs that the above poster was talking about came next. These were labeled File #1, File #2, and File #3, and also from Silva Screen.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These I didn't care for. Many of the cues were taken directly from the PAL broadcasts and sped up.

rikki nadir, sharedon and alexpop like this.
  11. HGN2001

Not done yet. In 2008, Network released a 3-CD set, packaged in a DVD-like case. It contained the booklet called THE PRISONER MUSIC BIBLE, the notes and pages used in the actual construction of the episode soundtracks by Eric Mival.
    [​IMG]

Then I found another 3-CD set that was issued in a limited, numbered 1000 unit edition. This one contained all of the Chappell Library stuff that was used in the series. Mine is 0848 of 1000

[​IMG]

Then in 2017, Network released a 6-CD set that I have to believe contains virtually every note ever sounded on THE PRISONER including alternate and unused stuff. No, not The Beatles or The Four Lads, but everything else.

[​IMG]

I don't think I need any more, unless the Village Band is going to march up and down my street!

12. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Music too.....:hide::D

jonathan and alexpop like this.
  13. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

To pick a 'best' would require an objectivity and eye for history and critique that I'm not sure I possess. I can (and will) tell you my favorite:

The Monkees!

I NEVER tire of watching this series! I'll call it my personal best series of the '60s.

alexpop and Grand_Ennui like this.
  14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I never knew of "The Lieutenant" and would be interested in seeing it...... I'm on your same page ..
    For the moment my votes go to.....

Star Trek
    The many loves of Dobie Gillis
    The Twilight Zone

15. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Since several of my favorites got multiple mentions...The Avengers, The Outer Limits, Star Trek, I will add: Lost In Space to the mix.

16. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

He & She

Too bad it only lasted one season. Even as a 13 year old, I knew it was
    something special, and, of course, definitely ahead of its time.

alexpop likes this.
  17. BobbyG

BobbyG Forum Resident

Sorry y'all. While our hair and clothes may have mimicked the Fabs, Joe also had an aura we emulated back then. The trot. The nod. The smile. And you never missed the opening segment just before the horns kicked in.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

What’s Run For Your Life ?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. alexpop

Paula Prentiss.

Was shocked to see her au natural in Catch 22 .. a couple years later.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I cannot find a bad one from the 60's that I do not like...

21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

American TV drama series that starred actor Ben Gazzara as a man with only a short time to live who decides to travel the world by himself and get in as much living in his remaining couple of years as he can. Each episode finds him in a new place meeting new people and situations. It ran from 1965 to 1968 and was created by Roy Huggins, creator of the man-on-the-move theme concept in the 1963 TV series The Fugitive.

alexpop likes this.
  22. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

Run, Buddy, Run

alexpop likes this.
  23. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Thought long and hard about this...

Green Acres

24. Hoyt

Hoyt Forum Resident

Not necessarily the favorite, but watched often.

Just barely made 1960 — The Millionaire.

Two others — Perry Mason and Ironside.

25. alexpop

Mentioned in QT ~ Once Upon A Time It.. Hollywood.

BobbyG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.