$1,500 Bookshelf Round-up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SwitcherooU, Apr 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwitcherooU

SwitcherooU Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello all!

It seems that $1,500 has become something of a price benchmark for decent bookshelf speakers, and I couldn't find a unified thread exploring the multitude of new options out there.

The $1,500 price point is also worth talking about because there are quite a few nice options at that price on the used market.

I would love to hear some suggestions!

FashionBoy likes this.
  2. SwitcherooU

I'll get this discussion going with my own personal quandary.

I've narrowed my options down to Dynaudio Excite X18 vs. Focal Aria 906.

The Excites get lower (44Hz vs. 55Hz), but the Focals are front-ported, which would work better as I don’t have many placement options. That said, I have heard the Excites, and I like them a lot. I haven’t heard the Focals.

I’m open to some other suggestions—used, preferably.

Just a couple stipulations:
    - Nothing overly bright and nothing that could be described as potentially fatiguing
    - Common enough to have reviews from reputable publications

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I'm really digging my ATC SCM11v2 ($1500 used/included shipping)

[edit to add my listening notes]
    * highly resolving for musical texture and detail (but not bright at all)
    * tight mid bass
    * vg soundstage from side to side; speakers can almost disappear
    * impactful and fast response
    * does need a bit of volume to wake up. I can still have a normal conversation, though at this level.
    * can go scary loud and still have cohesive/relaxed presentation w/o soundstage collapsing

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Bananas&blow likes this.
  4. SwitcherooU

Thanks for the reply. There’s a pair on eBay for about $1,500 as we speak. Heard nothing but good things.

bhazen likes this.
  5. layman

layman Forum Resident

Very different type of sound between the Dynaudios and Focals...of the two the Dynaudio's are more neutral and less fatiguing...the Focals more exciting.

SwitcherooU likes this.
  6. SwitcherooU

I like Dynaudio for just that reason. I’ve heard a number of models at all price ranges (from my tiny Emit 10s up through huge Confidence floorstanders), and none of them ever approached anything I would consider to be fatiguing.

As for the Focals, that word “exciting” makes me nervous.

Ivand likes this.
  7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

They do benefit if you add a subwoofer to flesh in the bottom end and anchor the soundstage. Still quite good on their own, but really shine with a sub.

8. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

What about some Buchardts?

I think those are designed/made by some guys who used to work for Dynaudio, but felt they were being held back by the conservatism of the company. So, they started their own company.

Frost and SwitcherooU like this.
  9. SwitcherooU

They're a Danish company, so it wouldn't surprise me. The S400 is a great-looking speaker, and the measurements look promising. Problem is, they're out of stock until June, and I don't have that kind of patience.

10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

11. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

Is the LS50 found to be not overly-bright and non-fatiguing by most listeners?
    Can owners chime in......? It is an obvious candidate at this price level.

CMT and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I've had my Excite X12's for about 5 years now and really like 'em. It's a smallish room, and a 2nd system. They do well; very enjoyable. I've thought about adding a sub but never do get to it and honestly it's fine!

progrocker, timind and SwitcherooU like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Not at all bright. Neutral-warm to my ears.

Strengths include gorgeous midrange, detail, and 3D holographic imaging.

All it is missing is serious bass, but I never felt the need to add a sub.

Jacob29, Art K, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  14. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Hmm, bummer. Well, there's the S300, which is also highly regarded. And cheaper.

15. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

Buchardt S300 vs LS50 anyone?

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  16. SwitcherooU

I should’ve just said in my OP that I don’t care for the LS50.

timind likes this.
  17. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Definitely would look at used as you mentioned. $1,500 used = $2,500 - $3,000 new. You are basically looking at a level higher in quality and performance.

It's hard to recommend something as it's always better that you listen for yourself to be sure, and what is available used will vary. Also depends what you're driving the speakers with.

I got my PMC TB2i speakers for just over $1,500 (Cdn).

Ivand and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. SwitcherooU

There are a pair of X14s, which, AFAIK, are the updated X12. Only $600. That might be enough of an upgrade from my Emit M10s

progrocker likes this.
  19. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I demo'ed both the Focal 906's and the X18's, and picked the X18's. I'm loving them with my PS Audio amp and pre. They are neutral-ish, with strong bass and very nice airy highs. The Focals sounded kind of thick and slow in the midrange.

The Dynaudios were also much prettier in the striped rosewood finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. SwitcherooU

Sweet! It’s not gonna get better than someone who put them side by side and picked the Dyns.

Thanks for the input.

SirMarc likes this.
  21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

In all fairness, they were at different dealers, but both on Parasound gear. The dealer with the Focals, the room seemed over treated, which could have contributed to the thick sounding mids, but who knows...

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

ds58, bhazen and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The Revel Performa M22 are stunning and play strong to about 32Hz.. The same mid-bass driver is in the newer replacement Revel speakers at $4K a pair. I suspect the KEF LS50 would pale compared to the Revel.

PhantomStranger, heathen and jtw like this.
  24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

My friend has Focal 936s which I've listened to a lot, I do not find them bright at all. Are you actually putting these on shelves? Because if not, these
    Stand Mount
    look totally gorgeous and the stands are some of the few attractive ones. The entry price is a bit higher than what you specified but then again it includes the lovely stands. I listened to a 8" 3-way tower with this or similar tweeter; the sound was clear and open and I cannot imagine it would ever be fatiguing. Still in my mind for "someday." As for Dynaudio I've heard their stuff for years, their house technology really concentrates well on open dynamics. Visually I find their models boooooorrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggg however.
    P.S. to your LS50 "yet"-as a longtime KEF admirer, I was a bit nonplussed to find I was NOT enchanted by those either.

25. SwitcherooU

I keep hearing about the Sierra-2s, but then every time someone praises them, someone raises concerns about the narrow dispersion of the ribbon tweeter. Although I do want a good ribbon tweeter before I die. I wish Philharmonic Audio didn’t close up shop before I could get a pair of BMRs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.