10 reasons not to buy from Amazon

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Paradiddle, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know this will fall on deaf ears for many, if not most, on this forum but thought I would share it anyway as food for thought. Many of the reasons cited are why I try to buy elsewhere when shopping online. I'm not always successful because I admit that Amazon's prices are near impossible to beat, but if you believe in voting with your wallet and good corporate citizenship (and that's fine if you don't, PLEASE don't turn this into a flame-throwing political thread!), it's worth a read.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/trevorgriffey/2011/04/03/top-10-reasons-to-avoid-amazon-com/

2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Do you seriously think that this won't turn into a political thread?

3. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I think the OP is right on! That's the right attitude in my opinion. Vote with your wallet.

Same basic principles should apply to all companies... you don't like what McDonald's does? Don't go!

Love Walmart? Go!

Jeff

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Amazon gives me a great selection of music at very reasonable prices, with a great free shipping option.

They have a great return policy (on the rare occasion I need to return something that arrived damaged), and the Marketplace gives me access to new and used out of print and in print CDs at fantastic prices.

That's all I care about, so I'll gladly continue to shop there.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for posting. Amazon sounds like an Internet Walmart. :(

6. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Actually, some of that article makes me want to shop MORE with Amazon.

7. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Every one of the 10 points are “flame-throwing political.” Honestly, how can you expect this thread to go otherwise?

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

IBTL...

The free shipping and return policy is what keeps me coming back as well. They're not always the lowest-priced option, but if I can't find it locally and have to resort to mail-order, I usually go with Amazon.

9. Some are reasons not to support, some are reasons to support IMHO, and some are of no consequence regarding Amazon as a corporation or their service. As long as they can provide what I want at a good price and I can't find the item(s) locally for within 10% or so, I'll continue to give 'em my business.

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I read this and thought about it and am still a happy Amazon customer and will continue to be one. Every company could have a list published of things that aren't ideal in a perfect world...but in todays environment where people will shop at Store ABC instead of Store XYZ if it means they can save fifty cents, I think the practices Amazon uses to keep prices low and have a huge inventory isn't all that evil.

11. Paradiddle

Perhaps I was being naive not expecting it to get political, but that wasn't my intent on sharing this. I don't mind if people want to start a civil debate on some of the points, but given how difficult it is keep political debates civil (especially on the Internet), I won't be participating myself as I see little use in attempting to change others' world views when it comes to these things. Again, I simply wanted to put it out there as food for thought for people who might be interested. If you're not interested and/or love shopping at Amazon, that's fine! Just don't flame or attack those of us who don't.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Amazon is amazing in my opinion. There isn't a better place in the world to find the best price on ANYTHING. That's the bottom line to me when shopping: price.

13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Who was attacking you? :confused:

14. RDK

RDK Active Member

Amazon sounds like a company.

15. Paradiddle

Nobody, but I've seem threads elsewhere on this forum devolve into mean-spiritedness and personal attacks so I'm trying to avoid it here. Didn't mean to imply I felt attacked by anyone thus far. :cool:

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

+1

17. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

A kitty dies every time you buy a CD at amazon

18. He's right about one thing: Powell's in Portland is the best bookstore anywhere.

19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Reason #5: Shopping at Amazon.com Puts Independent Bookstores Out of Business
    This is an obvious point, and one that pretty much everyone knows. It’s cheaper to operate a book warehouse than to operate a book showroom. Buying in bulk at discount rates, storing books in warehouses, selling books without sales taxes, may produce lower prices for customers, but these low prices undermine booksellers who have to pay rent and salaries to maintain an actual store.

Well, if I look at this as far as music, instead of books, Amazon is helping keep an independent music store I frequent stay in business. Hyde and Zeke Records is a seller on Amazon Marketplace, and with local people buying fewer records and CDs, Amazon sales are probably what is keeping it in business.

20. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I didn't know they were anti-union, but it's no surprise....most places are.

21. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Don't personally care. I will still shop at Amazon worldwide.

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

True!

Attached Files:

23. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I believe that's Jeff Bezos on the right...

24. A pretty lame list IMO, I'm a very happy amazon customer all around the world. The only regret I have is that I sold my amazon stock before it really took off.

25. tcj

tcj Senior Member

LOVE Amazon, gonna keep buying stuff there A LOT. All of you rolling in dough can hop on your high horses and pay too much if you want and deal with stores that don't carry what you want, but as for me, I'm going to shop at the stores that carrry WHAT I WANT, most importantly, and secondly for good prices. I don't have all the time in the world to jump from store to store looking for everything I want, and I can't look around to find the best deals, either. Amazon has 'em and they save me both a ton of time and money, so they continue to keep my business. If they are doing anything shady, it will catch up with them and they will eventually have to pay taxes, etc. That won't have an effect on my Amazon shopping - I don't shop at Amazon because I save on taxes. That's just a minor benefit. I shop there because it's easy and they have the stuff the local stores don't bother to carry.

I try and try again locally to find what I want and they can't be bothered to stock it. I'm not going to wait weeks for them to try to track something down. I feel bad that it hurts these stores but they've done it to themselves by carrying crap no one wants. To use a topic we all know and love, my local music stores used to be where I could count on finding so much stuff I didn't know what to buy and what to put back. But now it's gotten so difficult to find anything of interest that, more often than not, I don't really care about going. Worse, the few things that ARE interesting the store has put up on Ebay and Amazon! So, no, I feel no remorse taking my business elsewhere. I'll be sad if they have to close but that just means they couldn't learn how to compete. Stocking the shelves with 30 copies of the latest Britney Spears album is probably not the wisest move when your primary audience is indie/metal/rap, but they do this all the time - and they don't sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.