100% analog records.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by doctp, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Merci for the correction ;)

Plan9 likes this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Before you start using phrases like “two dimensional sounding”, to describe later OJC pressings, please check out Steve Hoffman’s post in the following thread from June 14, 2016. I would take his word:

OJC vinyl reissue question

3. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Gentlemen of the jury, from the man of the mastering:

Sent: Dienstag, 13. März 2018 17:05
    To:
    Subject:
    Re: Original Jazz Classics vinyl reissues from the late '80s

I started at fantasy in 1986. At first, definitely analog, direct from the two track masters. At some point in the 90s we got our digital console but I believe that was mostly for CDs. There may have been some exceptions, but my recollection is that in most cases we continued to cut the vinyl analog. It's been a while, though. I left in 1999.

On 13 March 2018 1:26:42 am GMT-07:00, wrote:

Hi Phil,

Maybe you would be so kind as tell me this.

There is some controversy about this, and having a number of the OJC vinyl reissues you mastered back in the late ‘80s, I thought I’d just ask you.

Can you tell me, did you master those OJC jazz reissues back then digitally or all analogue? Ie., were the vinyl reissues digital mastering jobs or all analogue?

best regards,

Martin

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. James_S888

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!

Guys, the OJCs, so far as is relevant, are all analog.

fretlessrich and Tommyboy like this.
  5. doctp

doctp Active Member Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great suggestions, I will give you followup in the near future. I'll be on the hunt for all of your great suggestions!

Recently I discussed this issue with an old time jazz master who listens to great jazz doesn't play any longer, and some more modern AAA pressings.

This is somewhat related but should be of interest.
    I quote." To get the most realistic live sound is from AAA vinyl, all tube equip. and MOVING MAGNET cartridges!

I use Cary Class A amps, their phono tube pre amp and ortofon RED moving coil cartridge. Can moving magnets make a difference? Does anyone share this philosophy?

Any thoughts on "moving magnets" vs moving coils sounding more life like with all Class A tube equip?

Tom

6. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

If you use a tube buffer or pre-amp I would think that the power amp design, e.g. A or A/B would be less significant. Class D I really wouldn't be sure.

7. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I found the Paul Rodgers The Royal Sessions to be totally soulless (no pun intended). Must play it again to see if I have changed my mind.

JG

8. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I think I saw your post (or someone posted a similar sentiment) and I almost passed on buying it but I am a fan of his so I pulled the trigger. Of course each system will vary but I didn't get the same feelings as I listened on my gear. It sounded a bit dull in spots but the overall feel of the album was correct in what I look for from AAA productions.

9. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I am talking more about the performance than the analog sound.

JG

10. fretlessrich

fretlessrich Forum Resident

James -- Just to confirm, you mean the OJCs from the 80s are all analog, correct? Not the recent reissues? I have both versions of the OJC Waltz for Debby (don't ask....) and the difference is discernible to me, at least when playing them back to back. The 80s cut is more natural and open sounding.

11. James_S888

Yes, it is all the '80s cuts that are all analog.
    the recent reissues, so far as I know were all done 44.1/16 digital.......

What was news to me was that Phil confirmed that his cuts are all analog. Despite the "Digitally mastered by Phil De Lancie...." on the back of the record jackets....

fretlessrich likes this.
  12. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

He's not quite as assertive as you are :

"At some point in the 90s we got our digital console but I believe that was mostly for CDs. There may have been some exceptions, but my recollection is that in most cases we continued to cut the vinyl analog. It's been a while, though. I left in 1999."

Robert C likes this.
  13. James_S888

More from Phil de Lancie....

Tommyboy likes this.
  14. James_S888

Sent: Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 07:03
    To: Martin
    Subject: Re: Original Jazz Classics vinyl reissues from the late '80s

Hi Martin. I didn’t know all that. It’s very nice to hear.

That work was a "labor of love”; I did my best to make each record sound as good as possible (at least to me) given the quality of the masters. We worked with Sontec parametric EQs and EMT compressors, and of course a Neumann lathe.

The source masters for the RVG recordings were generally excellent, as were others such as Contemporary Records. When the recording already sounded good then the EQ and compression for mastering could be subtle, just bringing out a bit of detail here and there. But some of the other material could be more challenging; the masters that had been mixed down in the early days of multitracks — late 60s and early 70s — were often much less clear than the sessions recorded years earlier going direct to two-track (late 50s - early 60s).

It is so nice to hear that those OJC versions are still giving listenters much pleasure. Thank you.

best,

Philip De Lancie
    [email protected]

15. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Just buy records from the '50s,'60s & '70s, better music too

16. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Not much help if you're not one to listen to the same old stuff all your life.

Robert C likes this.
  17. fretlessrich

fretlessrich Forum Resident

This is a cool email, thanks for sharing it.

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That’s great! Thanks for sharing. He cut some really nice OJC reissues.

19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Boooooring

Robert C likes this.
  20. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

You want pure analogue from 2016? Try this... I have a copy and it sounds great.... Unfortunately, it's multi-miked (necessary because these records are of live performances):

doctp likes this.
  21. doctp

22. doctp

where can i purchase this beautiful request?
    tom

feinstei9415 likes this.
  23. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I don't understand your question... "beautiful request"??? Did you mean "beautiful set"????

24. doctp

25. doctp

sorry for the typo.

i meant this beautiful box set, or single aaa vinyl recording,
    is it for sale?
    tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.