1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam Pajda, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is the continuation from here: 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

I have a 2016 edition and listening to every single album from the book in chronological order. Currently listening to album#694

What a great, educational ride this is.

Anyone else went through all the albums from this great book?

2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Need to do this - only have to buy the book, finally. Same with the 1001 movies.

3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I'm always scared of such lists - have the feeling that if I hear all of them, I would die suddenly...;)

4. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I'd die if I had to listen to some of the music listed. Life is waaaaaaaay to short for that.

5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I feel like 1000 is really enough.

6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

I compiled my own list.
    Much better than the book’s list
    :)

7. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

That's a bit over 4 months of listening 5 hours a day. I guess it would be worth it if you could trust the guy(s) who compiled it. Otherwise that's a lot of time to spend on somebody else's bad judgement ;)

8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I have been reading it and listening to at least one song from each recording. I am currently up to DUST BOWL BALLADS by Woody Guthrie.
    I really love it and it has introduced me to some great stuff I never knew much about (Buckwheat Zydeco, Fishbone, and Neko Case being three examples).
    A couple minor complaints:
    On A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, the author lists "Tell Me Why" as one of the hits. It was not a single in either the US or UK. Such an obvious factual error makes me wonder if there are other factual errors.
    Also, the author lists "key tracks" for each recording and too often he seems to leave out what I consider an obvious key track or tracks of an album I know. The latest example was BEE THOUSAND by Guided By voices where "I Am A Scientist" was not one of the 5 songs listed. Other examples include "Eleanor Rigby" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" not being listed from REVOLVER, "American Idiot" and "Holiday" not being listed from Green Day's AMERICAN IDIOT, and "Day Is Done" and "Fruit Tree" (perhaps THE most key Nick Drake song) not being listed on FIVE LEAVES LEFT.
    This makes me wonder if I'm really getting to hear the "key tracks" from the recordings I don't know!
    Still a great book. I especially am enjoying getting to hear music from all over the world and in many genres.
    NOTE: Actually I may be reading a different book. I'm reading 1000 RECORDINGS TO HEAR BEFORE YOU DIE and the OP speaks of 1001 ALBUMS TO HEAR BEFORE YOU DIE.

Echoes Myron and ndoheny like this.
  9. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Forum Resident

I have the Book as a collectors item, but I sure ly ain't Gonna listen to all the 1001 albums due to lack of interest and time.

Besides that.....most of them I already listen(ed) to or know at least what's it about...

10. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

101 is surely enough.

JDeanB, DTK and Picca like this.
  11. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

If you've already listened to them, you're all good

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A hundred should suffice. Unless your under 21.

lemonade kid and Picca like this.
  13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I got through a lot on the list I'm pretty sure I have an older edition. It's too varied in taste. I also disagree with some of the selections. It's good list, but being very familiar with the entire catalog of a lot of the artists, some of the albums are strange choices. I own most of albums the list, which I'm actually surprised about.

Here's the 2016 list, if anyone is interested:
    1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - How many have you heard?

Rich C likes this.
  14. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I do not know who compiled those lists, but they are always seriously flowed and tlited toward tastes of the list creator.
    This one have almost no Southern Rock titles (just one by Allman Brothers and by Lynyrd Skynyrd and zero from Outlaws, ARS, Marshall Tucker, Wet Willie, you name it), almost no classic country, very little folk, Dylan, etc... Very west-coast biased as well.
    I am not blaming compiler - it is HIS list, but claim that it should be everyone's is idiotic. I would personally replace may be 60% of this list..

15. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Watch out. It means that after 1001 you'll die. In my book is an album by The Klaxons. It makes sense.

Sear likes this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I have the book, but there are plenty on the list that I would never listen to:cheers:

Folknik and Sear like this.
  17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I would buy the book if I had not realised that with the money I could instead buy a vinyl LP!

18. Rodney Raisanen

Rodney Raisanen New Member

I'm working my way through the 2013 addition now and I don't think it is the great list..but I am doing it just to do it. I agree about the lack of Southern rock. Very little country as well and too much Latin style jazz for my taste. I also find it to be very British biased too. I also wonder why so many live albums, for the most part I prefer studio albums. Some of the album choices for artists that I know well are a little puzzling too. Nevertheless, it has exposed me to some new music. It will be interesting to see how well I handle the 1990 plus list because there hasn't been much since then that I have heard that I really like. But I am putting grades and short comments on all the albums. Thought about starting a blog but that would be too much work. I'm up to 1965 and the only A+ album too me has been Otis Redding's "Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings the Blues." There are several albums that I give an A or A- too though.

19. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Sounds like interesting read. Noticing posts about lack of Southern rock.
    Posting this for those who like that genre & may not know about this band. (Since I'm always thristing for new, new-to-me info.)
    I was into around 2010, but quickly lost interest in genre; for those who like it, though, they're very good but do make a good case for audio-only over visuals!)
    It's from release "Little Bit of Dixie" 2009, so this music is being made in 2000's -
    Blackberry Smoke.

Curious - Is Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees on that list?

Fullbug and carlwm like this.
  20. Rodney Raisanen

Rodney Raisanen New Member

Thanks for the link. Also, just checked my index and no Boz Scaggs at all in the 2013 edition.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  21. Trace

Trace Senior Member

While this list doesn't really cater to my taste, I do have 211 of the top 1001 in my collection.

22. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Anybody that can take enough time to compile a list so overly exhausting needs to GET A LIFE!

Absolutely ridiculous

23. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

This plays into humans need to be told what to believe in, what is good art and bad art, what is good music, good food, etc. Why not explore music in your own way.? Do your own music history research and choose your own soundtrack to life's fleeting moments?

24. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

I admire anyone who illuminates the great albums (through fastidious study of recorded music history) or follows the footsteps of the author through the musical sands of time (through passion for that study). In the words of Wonka, “We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams [and we are the music listeners and we are the appreciators of dreams].”

25. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Man why do some of you guys take these lists so seriously? They are meant to be fun not a set of rules written on stone tablets. They are a guide and nothing more. I personally find best of lists a blast, end of the year best of lists a blast, ranking best albums by an artist a blast. Jeez it's literally what half of all posts here on these forums are about. This book is a big seller and on it's multiple edition printing. So a reason to make this book seems to be that it's popular and made the author money. He/she also probably had a great time compiling it so cheers to them making money while doing something they love. When I was young and didn't own a million albums I used to love books like this. Throbbing Gristle, Gene Clark, Eric B and Rakim, Judee Sill, Skip Spence, Big Star, and so many more were discovered by me and many others with lists like these. Lists are great is what I'm saying. You think you can make a better list, go for it. I'll be the first one to buy one of your copies.

SAMAUL, BroJB, Rorsontherun and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.