10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 3, 2019.

1. tenor1

tenor1 Forum Resident

The Big Bang is an all-time favorite for me as I love songs with science in them, and the mix of science, religion, and blues/rock in this track is really special. Two other favorites are the dynamic duo of final tracks, The Last Page of History and Desperate Times, which have been described quite well here already.

Sweet Memory, Airforce One, and 10,000 Angels area all good, they're just not as much my special favorites. Airforce One kind of revisits Clockwork Creep subject matter (a bomb on board a plane) but greater weight is given to the nuclear dread that fuels the lyrics of so many songs on this album. Sweet Memory gives us a break from those lyrical concerns, much like Golden Rings does, but I like Golden Rings much better.

Let me echo the recommendation for the Body of Work compilation. Goodbye Blue Sky is presented in fabulous sound here, better than either of the previous CD versions I owned (the original US CD and the Japanese album replica remaster).

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

A Hundred Thousand in Fresh Notes

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Wax
    Released
    22 September 1989[1]
    Length 43:44
    Label RCA
    Producer Peter Collins
    Andrew Gold
    Graham Gouldman

A Hundred Thousand in Fresh Notes is the third and final studio album from the British duo Wax, released in 1989. The majority of the album was produced by Peter Collins, with four tracks produced by members Andrew Gold and Graham Gouldman.[2]

"Wherever You Are" was released as the album's lead single, however it failed to generate commercial success in the UK or Europe.[1] The second and final single, "Anchors Aweigh", reached No. 95 in the UK and remained in the charts for two weeks.[3] After the album failed to achieve major commercial success, Gold and Gouldman disbanded and moved on to separate projects.[4]

Wax
    • Andrew Gold - vocals, keyboards, guitars, drum programming, backing vocals, percussion
    • Graham Gouldman - vocals, guitars, bass guitar, backing vocals, percussion
    Additional personnel
    Production
    • Peter Collins - producer (tracks 1-3, 5-6, 9-10)
    • Andrew Gold - producer (tracks 4, 7-8), engineer (tracks 4, 7-8, 10)
    • Graham Gouldman - producer (tracks 4, 7-8, 10)
    • Ian Taylor - engineer (tracks 1-3, 5-6, 9-10)
    Other
    • Anthony May - photography
    • Storm Thorgerson, Colin Chambers - cover
    • Nexus - artwork, graphics
    1. "Anchors Aweigh" 6:10
    2. "Wherever You Are" 3:25
    3. "Railroad to Heaven" 3:42
    4. "He Said She Said" 3:56
    5. "Spell on You" 4:07
    6. "Don't Play That Song" 4:23
    7. "Pictures of Paris" 3:22
    8. "Maybe" 4:23
    9. "Madeleine" 5:12
    10. "Credit Where Credit's Due" 5:14
    --------------------------------------------------------
    This ends up as sort of the end of the road for Wax, and the guys move on to other things after this.
    I haven't heard anything off this, and I don't want to get too bogged down in side projects, so I am going to post the two singles, and let you guys have it for the weekend, and move on, on Monday.
    If you are familiar with this album, and feel there are songs we should hear from the album that weren't singles, please post them for folks to check out.

After this there was a live album released last year called Wax Live in Concert in 1987
    Some Compilation albums
    • Works: Best Of Andrew Gold & Graham Gouldman (1996)
    • The Wax Files (as Andrew Gold & Graham Gouldman) (1997)
    • Wax Bikini (as Andrew Gold & Graham Gouldman) (2000)[6]
    In 1998 there was a release
    common knowledge.com (1998)
    and I assume that is a streaming/download album?

and that sort of rounds out the Wax years for Gouldman.

Cheers,
    Mark

3. mark winstanley

Wherever You Are
    This track has a nice melody, and construction, and takes the form of a late eighties big ballad type track. It is actually pretty good.

4. mark winstanley

Anchors Aweigh
    This track leans more to the more typical late eighties pop. Both guys are good writers and arrangers, and so of course this is a pretty good recording.

Lonesurf likes this.
  5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Pretty unfocused video that doesn’t know what it wants settle on being. Interesting to see Gouldman referencing the Robert Palmer ‘Addicted To Love’ video as well as some others I can’t place (who’s he supposed to be when he’s in green Lycra shorts and shades etc?). These ‘parodies’ are a bit half hearted and I feel they’d have worked much better if the band members were more recognisable personalities, otherwise it seems kind of redundant.

As for the song.. blep. Very typical of its time, and I don’t mean that as a compliment. I can’t imagine this exciting or moving anyone.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    mark winstanley likes this.
  6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Agent Gouldman and Agent Gold riding on the crest of an alien wave ?

And speaking of waves ... our heroes in red swim suits disguised as lifeguards at a sunny bay.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  7. mark winstanley

" The Song Is Out There" :)

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'railroad to heaven' is top tier song like 2 singles. the rest is typical wax: very pop, very "normal".

9. mark winstanley

10. mark winstanley

Freudiana
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Eric Woolfson and Alan Parsons
    Released
    11 October 1990
    Recorded 1989-1990
    GenreRockmusical theatrepop rock
    Length 74:44
    Label EMI
    Producer Alan Parsons

Freudiana /ˌfrɔɪdiˈænə/ is a rock opera by Eric Woolfson. It was to be the 11th album by The Alan Parsons Project, but during its development, Eric Woolfson had creative differences with Alan Parsons. The production utilizes the Project's personnel as well as many guest vocalists. Alan Parsons later began his career as a solo artist with his 1993 album Try Anything Once, which was musically in a direction more or less continued from that of the Project's 1987's Gaudi.

Woolfson hit upon the idea of researching the life and works of Sigmund Freud with a view to their musical potential after he finished Gaudi. He retraced Freud's footsteps and explored his realms through his homes in London and Vienna (both now museums), as well as literary sources including Freud's classic cases, whose real identities he concealed by use of names such as Wolfman, Ratman, Dora, Little Hans, and Schreber, the Judge. In addition, Freud's writings on his discovery of the 'unconscious', his well-known theories such as the Oedipus Complex, the 'Ego' and the 'Id' and perhaps his best known work, The Interpretation of Dreams all served as springboards for musical ideas. About halfway through the recording process, Woolfson was approached by Brian Brolly to develop the concept still further into a musical. With Brolly's help, Woolfson turned Freudiana into a stage musical. The musical had a successful run, and it was hoped that the show would open in other cities. Further plans were put on hold when a lawsuit broke out between Brolly and Woolfson, each fighting for control of the project. In the end, Brolly won, but the album remained attributed to Eric Woolfson and Alan Parsons.

This album was released in two versions: The "White Album" and the "Black Album". Additionally, while the "White Album" was originally released under the moniker "Freudiana" and not Eric Woolfson, Alan Parsons, nor the Alan Parsons Project, the first releases had "The Alan Parsons Project" at the top.

The "White Album" was released in 1990 through EMI Records. It includes 18 tracks with lead vocal performances from Leo Sayer, Kiki Dee, Marti Webb, 10cc's Eric Stewart, Frankie Howerd, Gary Howard and The Flying Pickets, as well as previous Project vocalists Chris Rainbow, John Miles, Graham Dye, and Woolfson. Alan Parsons made musical contributions throughout the album as well as writing and producing, like he had with the Project albums. Howard would appear with Parsons' live band on Alan Parsons Live, and Stewart on Parsons' first two solo studio albums, Try Anything Once and On Air.

The Deutsche Originalaufnahme ("German original recording"), also known as the "Black Album", features a double-length cast disc. It contains material from the rock opera. The Black album was the first album credited to Eric Woolfson as a solo artist. Freudiana gave Woolfson a taste of musical theatre and he chose to continue in that end of the business.

1. "The Nirvana Principle" (Instrumental) – 3:44
    2. "Freudiana" (lead vocal: Eric Woolfson) – 6:20
    3. "I Am a Mirror" (lead vocal: Leo Sayer) – 4:06
    4. "Little Hans" (lead vocal: Graham Dye) (backing vocal: Chris Rainbow) – 3:15
    5. "Dora" (lead vocal: Eric Woolfson) – 3:51
    6. "Funny You Should Say That (lead vocal: The Flying Pickets) - 4:36
    7. "You're on Your Own" (lead vocal: Kiki Dee) – 3:54
    8. "Far Away from Home" (lead vocal: The Flying Pickets) – 3:11
    9. "Let Yourself Go" (lead vocal: Eric Woolfson) – 5:26
    10. "Beyond the Pleasure Principle" (Instrumental) (Alan Parsons) – 3:13
    11. "The Ring" (lead vocal: Eric Stewart) – 4:22
    12. "Sects Therapy" (lead vocal: Frankie Howerd) – 3:40
    13. "No One Can Love You Better Than Me" (lead vocal: Kiki Dee, Marti Webb, Gary Howard and Eric Woolfson) – 5:40
    14. "Don't Let the Moment Pass" (lead vocal: Marti Webb) – 3:40
    15. "Upper Me" (lead vocal: Eric Stewart) – 5:16
    16. "Freudiana" (Instrumental) – 3:43
    17. "Destiny" (lead vocal: Chris Rainbow) – 0:51
    18. "There But for the Grace of God" (lead vocal: John Miles and Marti Webb) – 5:56
    --------------------------------------------------------
    I actually have and like a lot of Alan Parsons stuff, but I have never even heard of this.
    Eric Stewart sings two songs on here.

11. mark winstanley

The Ring
    We have a little eighties residue here, but there is probably enough nineties to satisfy most folks.
    This is a reasonably interesting track.
    It is interesting to me that Stewart went off to do this. I can only assume he was somewhat disenfranchised with the whole solo album track and wanted to try something new.
    I doubt I would bother with this album, but this is a pretty interesting and reasonable track.

Lonesurf and footprintsinthesand like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Upper Me
    We start with a synth swell, and then the song slowly moves into a groove. This has all the hallmark's of an eighties Parsons track.
    Another pretty decent track.

13. footprintsinthesand

The Ring
    Agreed 100%
    Upper Me
    Another full agreement.

The full album gets almost exclusively positive comments on YouTube, tracklist in description. But I guess EW's passing may have something to do with that.

After I Robot I've found the APP albums become less interesting with every next one. It's the inevitable progrock overproduction sauce that makes tracks predictable and tediously boring even though you can hear they're skilled musicians. After a few songs you're just dying to hear a (any) simple singer songwriter perform a song on an acoustic guitar from the heart.

Ludger, quicksrt and mark winstanley like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

stewart does a very nice job with both tunes, as he also does when singing with the alan parsons project.

Lonesurf and mark winstanley like this.
  15. mark winstanley

Greatest Songs and More (Great Box)

[​IMG]
    Box set by
    10cc
    Released
    Recorded 1972–1983
    Genre Rock
    Label Nippon Phonogram
    Producer 10cc

The Greatest Songs and More (Great Box) is a 4-CD box set by 10cc released in Japan in June 1991.[1] The compilation includes singles, album tracks, and rare b-sides recorded between 1972 and 1983. Many of the tracks included were unavailable on CD elsewhere until re-issues of their later albums were released—also in Japan—in 2006. It is not known how many copies were produced, but over the years it has commanded high prices on the collectors market.
    CD ONE
    1. "Donna" (Kevin Godley/Lol Creme) – 2:56++ 1972
    2. "Rubber Bullets" (Godley/Creme/Graham Gouldman) – 4:41++ 1973
    3. "The Dean and I" (Godley/Creme) – 2:52++ 1973
    4. "The Wall Street Shuffle" (Eric Stewart/Gouldman) – 3:51 1974
    5. "Silly Love" (Creme/Stewart) – 3:14 1974
    6. "Life is a Minestrone" (Creme/Stewart) – 4:41 1975
    7. "Channel Swimmer" (Godley/Gouldman) – 4:48+ 1975
    8. "I'm Not in Love" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 6:02 1975
    9. "Good News" (Godley/Creme) – 3:45+ 1975
    10. "The Second Sitting for the Last Supper" (Godley/Creme/Stewart/Gouldman) – 4:22 1975
    11. "Blackmail" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 4:26 1975
    12. "Une Nuit A Paris" (Godley/Creme) – 8:38 1975
    13. "The Film of My Love" (Godley/Creme) – 5:01 1975
    CD TWO
    1. "Art for Art's Sake" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 5:59 1975
    2. "Get It While You Can" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 2:54+ 1975
    3. "I'm Mandy Fly Me" (Stewart/Gouldman/Godley) – 5:20 1976
    4. "I Wanna Rule the World" (Godley/Creme/Gouldman) – 3:56 1976
    5. "Rock and Roll Lullaby" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 3:58 1976
    6. "Don't Hang Up" (Godley/Creme) – 6:18 1976
    7. "The Things We Do for Love" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 3:28 1976
    8. "Hot to Trot" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 4:26+ 1976
    9. "Good Morning Judge" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 2:53 1977
    10. "Don't Squeeze me like Toothpaste" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 3:41+ 1977
    11. "People in Love" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 3:44 1977
    12. "I'm So Laid Back, I'm Laid Out" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 3:45+ 1977
    13. "Marriage Bureau Rendezvous" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 4:03 1977
    14. "Honeymoon with B Troop" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 2:45 1977
    15. "I Bought a Flat Guitar Tutor" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 1:45 1977
    CD THREE
    1. "The Things We Do for Love - Live" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 3:44 1977
    2. "Ships Don't Disappear in the Night (Do They?) - Live” (Stewart/Gouldman) – 7:36 1977
    3. "I'm Mandy Fly Me - Live" (Stewart/Gouldman/Godley) – 5:26 1977
    4. "Waterfall - Live" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 7:25 1977
    5. "Dreadlock Holiday" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 4:29 1978
    6. "Nothing Can Move Me" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 4:03+ 1978
    7. "Reds in My Bed" (Stewart/Tosh) – 4:08 1978
    8. "Take These Chains" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 2:36 1978
    9. "For You and I" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 5:18 1978
    10. "From Rochdale to Ocho Rios" (Gouldman) – 3:42 1978
    11. "One Two Five" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 5:10 1980
    12. "Only Child" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 3:14+ 1980
    13. "It Doesn't Matter at All" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 4.00 1980
    14. "I Hate to Eat Alone" (Gouldman) – 2:54 1980
    CD FOUR
    1. "Les Nouveau Riches" (Stewart) – 5:09 1981
    2. "Don't Turn Me Away" (Stewart) – 5:00 1981
    3. "Tomorrows World Today" (Gouldman) – 3:13+ 1981
    4. "Memories" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 4:26 1981
    5. "The Power of Love" (Stewart/Gouldman/Gold) – 4:13 1982
    6. "You're Coming Home Again" (Stewart) – 4:27+ 1982
    7. "Run Away" (Stewart/Gouldman/Gold) – 4:02 1982
    8. "Action Man in Motown Suit" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 4:45 1981
    9. "We've Heard It All Before" (Stewart/Gouldman/Gold) – 3:35 1982
    10. "Overdraft in Overdrive" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 3:22 1981
    11. "24 Hours" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 7:26 1983
    12. "Feel the Love" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 5:09 1983
    13. "She Gives Me Pain" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 2:15+ 1983
    14. ”I'm Not in Love - Live" (Stewart/Gouldman) – 6:05 1977

All the tracks are album versions except: ++ Single Edit + B-Side

The box set left several other "officially released" tracks/versions that hadn't been issued on CD:

1. "One Two Five" (Single Version)+
    2. "Les Nouveau Riches" (Single Version)++
    3. "Memories" (US Version)++
    4. "I'm Not in Love - Live" (b-side of "24 Hours")+++
    5. "Dreadlock Holiday - Live" (b-side of "24 Hours")+++
    6. "24 Hours" (Single Edit)+++
    7. "Feel the Love" (Single Edit)+++
    8. "The Secret Life of Henry" (b-side of Dutch single "Food for Thought")+++
    9. "Food for Thought" (Single Edit)+++
    These have since been released on: + Look Hear? (2006 Japan Re-issue) ++ Ten Out of 10 (2006 Japan Re-issue) +++ Windows in the Jungle (2006 Japan Re-issue)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To be honest I have never heard of this one before, but it is certainly a pretty good looking list of tracks.

If you know anything about it, please let us know.

Cheers Mark

16. mark winstanley

This also came out in 1991

10CC And Godley & Creme ‎– The Very Best Of 10CC And Godley & Creme
    Label:
    Mercury ‎– 845 407-2, Phonogram ‎– 845 407-2
    Format:
    CD, Compilation
    Benelux
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Pop Rock

[​IMG]

1 –10CC The Wall Street Shuffle 3:53
    2 –10CC I'm Not In Love 6:02
    3 –10CC Art For Art's Sake 4:21
    4 –10CC Dreadlock Holiday 4:31
    5 –10CC People In Love 3:47
    6 –10CC Donna 2:58
    7 –10CC Life Is A MinestroneWritten-By – E. Stewart*, L. Creme* 4:30
    8 –10CC I'm Mandy, Fly MeWritten-By – E. Stewart*, G. Gouldman*, L. Creme* 5:20
    9 –Godley & Creme An Englishman In New YorkProducer – Godley & Creme 5:53
    10 –10CC Food For Thought 3:29
    11 –10CC Rubber BulletsWritten-By – K. Godley/L. Creme*, G. Gouldman* 4:43
    12 –10CC Good Morning Judge 2:55
    13 –10CC Feel The Love 5:06
    14 –10CC Memories 4:27
    15 –10CC The Things We Do For Love 3:23
    16 –10CC Don't Turn Me AwayWritten-By – E. Stewart* 5:00
    17 –Godley & Creme CryProducer – Godley & Creme, Trevor Horn 3:56
    18 –10CC Silly LoveWritten-By – E. Stewart*, L. Creme* 3:15
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentially this is a variation on the Changing Faces set with more 10cc and less Godley and Creme

17. footprintsinthesand

Never knew that set existed. It looks like artwork rehashed with that ugly 10cc logo, wrapped in a large Obi, with a 74 page booklet. Probably great mastering, looking at the year. Comment on the Discogs page says it has the long version of 24 Hours.

[​IMG]

18. mark winstanley

...Meanwhile

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    10cc
    Released
    11 May 1992
    Recorded 1990–1991
    Studio Bearsville Studios (Woodstock, New York, US)
    The Hit Factory (New York City)
    River Sound Studios (New York))
    Bill Schnee Studio (Los Angeles)
    Village Recorders (Los Angeles)
    Genre Rock
    Length 51:25
    Label Polydor
    Producer Gary Katz, 10cc

...Meanwhile is the tenth studio album by British rock band 10cc. It was recorded at Bearsville Studios in Woodstock, New York, The Hit Factory, New York, River Sound Studios, New York, Bill Schnee Studio, Los Angeles and Village Recorders, Los Angeles and released in 1992.

The album was the band's first in nine years and marked the brief comeback of original 10cc members Kevin Godley and Lol Creme.

[Changing Faces] did really well and we all met up again for a lunch. It was to be presented with these fabulous platinum discs. Also round that time our record company made us a very nice offer that we couldn't really refuse, and the fact that we'd all come together again ... we'd sort of resisted working together again and it seemed like a nice thing to do.[2]

— Graham Gouldman

We had some good songs, so we felt confident that we could still do it. Polydor were pleased with the demos, and so we did the album.[3]

— Graham Gouldman

Our record company wanted an American producer, they thought it would help break the American market, and once you start to follow things like that, it’s the slippery slope.

We got to the studio, and we had problems with our producer. There wasn’t always harmony and I think it created a very one dimensional album. It’s also got this darkness to it that I don’t like. Some of the songs, particularly 'Welcome to Paradise', which were brilliant when you hear the demos, didn’t translate into the studio.

That and other things combined to make an album which could have been a lot better. There were two things that were wrong for me, I didn’t like his idea of bringing in session men; they weren’t our players, they weren’t our band. Jeff Porcaro was one of the finest drummers in the universe, Freddie Washington the finest bass player. But anyone could have them and I was against this. Gary wanted to use his people, though. He’d always used them, he was very secure with them.[3]

— Graham Gouldman

I love the Meanwhile tracks, but wish we hadn't gone to Gary Katz for production. At the time it was thought by Polyglot that we needed 'new blood' to produce us in a different way. I really enjoyed working with other musicians though, especially Jeff Porcaro on the drums, but in retrospect the production mess we got into leaves a bad taste in my mouth."[4]

— Eric Stewart

I wasn’t involved with the making of this album at all so I know very little about how it was put together. I was simply asked to sing lead vocal on one song and was flown to New York to record it. The three of us had a lovely reunion breakfast on day one. As I recall all the basic tracks had already been recorded so it was myself, Graham, Eric and producer Gary Katz for two vocal heavy days.[citation needed]

— Kevin Godley

I do recall a strange atmosphere in the studio. An intangible awkwardness. Everything sounded 'great', everyone got on 'great', but there was an essential ingredient missing. I also sensed G and E growing apart. Gary Katz was acting as a political as well as creative buffer keeping personalities as well as music on course. I’ve never actually heard the complete album, although I did enjoy singing "The Stars Didn’t Show".[5]

— Kevin Godley

10cc [7][8]
    Additional personnel
    1. "Woman in Love" 6:11
    2. "Wonderland" 4:53
    3. "Fill Her Up" 4:08
    4. "Something Special" 3:23
    5. "Welcome to Paradise" 6:14
    6. "The Stars Didn't Show" 4:51
    7. "Green Eyed Monster" 4:44
    8. "Charity Begins at Home" 4:55
    9. "Shine a Light in the Dark" 5:42
    10. "Don't Break the Promises" (Stewart, Paul McCartney, Gouldman) 6:22
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I haven't listened to this album as much as I would have liked to at this stage, but one thing I will say is that I do enjoy it.
    So the much touted 10cc reunion, is reallynot quite a 10cc reunion, but it is nice to read that for the most part it was a pleasant experience for them. I think the quotes up the top there probably say more than I possibly could.
    Anyway, I have really enjoyed the listens that I have had for this album. I think the writing is strong, and I enjoyed the songs.
    To some degree it is a shame that all four of them couldn't arrange to do a proper reunion album and then perhaps follow that with a tour, but these things just weren't to be.

I am pretty sure we will have wide and varied opinions on this album, and I am very interested to hear what everyone has to say. So please give us the lowdown, on what you thought then, and what you think now, and if you have any further insights please share them with us.

Cheers
    Mark

Lonesurf and Ludger like this.
  19. footprintsinthesand

Don't know the album at all I think, so I'm curious. Plenty of great musicians there, so that wasn't the problem.

20. mark winstanley

I sometimes wonder if the "reunion" whispers created an unrealistic expectation, because although this isn't classic seventies 10cc, it is a very good album, from my listens at least.

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

You've let us down Mark. lol

22. mark winstanley

:) I'm kickin' myself lol

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. footprintsinthesand

The 2008 cd doesn't say remastered, so it's essentially the same as the original plus bonus tracks in terms of sound?

wayneklein and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

I am not the guy for sound, but I am sure someone will chip in on that :)

25. It is a very good album but much more of a departure compared to the classic 10cc sound.

Lonesurf and mark winstanley like this.