10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 3, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

That's a fair call... Interestingly, for me, up until Deceptive Bends, I see all the albums as somewhat transitional.
    Also for me, and I'm not attacking your post, so please don't read it that way, I think Sheet Music to Deceptive Bends would all be on my essential list.

2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

No worries. A lot of differing opinions have been expressed respectfully within this thread. All good.

Of course, one thing that is not up for debate, is that the album cover is pretty darn cool. All of the 10cc album artwork from this disc forward is stellar.

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Knowing them, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that they wanted to use a pile of manure on the album cover in reference to the word Sheet in the album title, only to have the record company veto the idea. It would dovetail nicely with the Worst Band in the World track.

Ludger, Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  4. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I always wondered if the “Sheet” in the title was a play on words, but I never saw any reference to that anywhere.

Mr-Beagle and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Well, there's probably a link with "The worst band in the world":

"
    It's one thing to know it
    but another to admit
    We're the worst band in the world
    But we don't give a..... "

Sheet ;)

Mr-Beagle, DLeet, Ludger and 3 others like this.
  6. mark winstanley

nice one ... missed that :)

Zongadude likes this.
  7. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I love The Wall Street Shuffle. As others have said, it's a perfect pop rock song. It's got biting lyrics, strong instrumentation, the playing is top-notch and the band is really tight. The arrangement is also spot-on. It has a lot of the qualities that 10cc would exhibit on a lot of their material in later years, almost being a blueprint for the 10cc songwriting method. Brilliant in every way. I much prefer the uncut version on Sheet Music over all of the single edits that seem to show up on all the comp albums.

I've never heard Gizmo My Way before, but I like it. It does have a very laid-back 'this is a b-side' quality to it. 10cc always made some great b-sides. I'll mention my all time favorite b-side when we get there in a few albums.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

You’ve all said so many good an accurate things about The Wall Street Shuffle; very spot on. It’s just an amazing song. Just the other day my girlfriend told me “guess what song I had stuck in my head all day”?
    “On Wall Street”
    It rocks, it’s layered and complex yet crazy catchy, lyrically amazing, and well played. That piano section doesn’t even need to be in there and it would still be a great song, but yet it is, seamlessly.
    Amazing opening song on an amazing album.

mark winstanley and dvakman like this.
  9. mark winstanley

Worst Band In The World
    This is 10cc at their quirky best. This was the first single off the album and it failed ... in spite of the joke, folks didn't find it to be appealing as a single I guess ... but the singles market ha always left me cold and confused.
    As for the structure of the song ... wow, it is an assorted box of chocolates, rarely staying in one spot, another reason it probably didn't tear up the singles chart.
    We get a sliding chord bend that moves into a nice little riff. This moves in to a moderate tempo section with the vocals coming in ...
    I have never been sure if this was a song of lyrical self deprecation, or if the guys were actually having a go at someone else. Either way, the lyrics are a biting satire of an average band with a hit single and also the industry surrounding it. It's actually a wonderful piece of writing.
    We then move into the "tune up" bit, complete with a bending note or two to emphasise the tuning up. That moves into a nice little lead lick, and then instantly this moves into an almost Caribbean feel and then it changes again.
    One thing I can guarantee with this song, is the structure doesn't stay in one place.....
    It is almost impossible to run through the sections, because every few seconds we have a different styling. Lots of interesting little bits and pieces in here and obviously the wonderful "here I am a record on a jukebox, a little piece of plastic with a hole, play me..."
    This is not "I'm Not In Love", nor is it "Rubber Bullets", but I think getting songs like this are all part of the 10cc experience..... and I love it.

10. mark winstanley

18 Carat Man Of Means
    Interestingly, this b-side is much more accessible than the single itself. If you have a reasonably broad taste in music, at this stage of their career 10cc were writing too much good stuff to miss out on anything.
    This has a fairly standard kind of rock song feel, and it even has a singable chorus.
    I get the impression lyrically this may be having a go at Jonathan ... another nice lyric, and yet another great song.

11. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Worst Band In The World - great song, typical 10cc sense of humor, which was one of the most important ingredients that made them so good and unique.
    18 Carat Man Of Means - typical b-side, don't care for it much.

12. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Bit late to this thread ... I like some of the 10cc singles, and have a 2CD compilation The Greatest Hits And More ... but ismism is one of my fave albums. And I listened to my History Mix LP tonight. Will join in later.

--Geoff

13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

“I don’t like cricket - I LOVE it...”

Yeah, I realise it’s out of the timeframe, but ‘tis the season etc etc....

14. mark winstanley

I miss cricket ... it doesn't get much of a go in the US

DiBosco and Andy Smith like this.
  15. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

16. mark winstanley

it'd be nice if they do, but no folks over here I have come across have any real idea what Cricket is ... unless you're talking about Jiminy lol

17. Dave Thompson

Don't forget the "controversy" over the lyric... or the absence thereof. And the amended radio version that appeared on 10cc - The Complete UK Recordings

18. Dave Thompson

it looks like they're initially aiming it at the South Asian population, then hoping it spreads out from there.

19. mark winstanley

I wasn't aware of the controversy mate. I came to these albums in the mid to late eighties, so if you have history for us, please feel free to share :)

20. Andy Smith

Then you must educate the heathens, good sir.

DiBosco and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

I'll try, but it's like trying to get a cat to swim :)

Andy Smith likes this.
  22. Andy Smith

While you're there, explain in great detail that hitting a ball with a tubular bat is called 'rounders' and it's a game wee girls play....

Malc and mark winstanley like this.
  23. Dave Thompson

British radio (well, the BBC) was unhappy about the "we don't give a ...." lyric, and also "up yours, up mine...." Therefore, no airplay until the band gave them a less controversial version. So they did... the first bit became "we don't give up"; the second was "I'm yours, I'm mine."

Unfortunately, in the time it took for this all to be sorted out, radio had lost interest and barely played the amended version, either.

10 c.c.* - The Worst Band In The World

Ludger, Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

LOL

Andy Smith likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

Nice.
    Thank you sir!
    That's one of the many reasons I love doing these threads. I would never have known that. To me it is all fairly harmless, although the BBC was notorious for banning songs. It got to the point in the eighties that if the BBC banned a song it would probably become a hit lol

Ludger likes this.