10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 3, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea we're besties :)

Instant Dharma likes this.
  2. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Most of them take up a disc on Tenology, although annoyingly, it misses out "18 Carat Man of Means."

3. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Another random question from me, but I have to strike while I’m thinking of it. Did Lol sing on anything after How Dare You?

4. mark winstanley

haha... probably on the Godley and Creme

3Dman likes this.
  5. 3Dman

I can’t think of anything but backup on G&C. I might be missing something of course. Lol mentions in the recent G&C box how Kevin wanted to sing more when they split off and Lol felt like he sang enough already in 10cc.

tenor1 and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

That's possible... unless i really focused on it, i wouldn't know who is singing to be honest.
    I just enjoy the songs...
    I should be more switched on than that, but normally i pay little attention to who it is.

3Dman likes this.
  7. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

What box is this?

3Dman and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Lol basically became a backing/harmony vocalist in G&C since he was too busy co-writing and playing a lot of the instruments.
    Some tracks that I remember with him on lead vocals are Five O'Clock In The Morning, When Things Go Wrong, Sandwiches Of You, Random Brainwave, Mugshots and Silent Running.

tenor1, dvakman, 3Dman and 2 others like this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

With G+C? Probably a couple of things though Kev sang most of the leads. Punchbag?

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. 3Dman

11. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

This thread is having the same effect on me that The Moody Blues album by album thread had last year: I'm plugging the holes in my Godley and Creme/10th collection. And more importantly (and expensively), finding holes I didn't know existed.

12. mark winstanley

Hotel
    This song starts off with some eerie almost horror movie like synth sounds. Then a melody comes into the picture.
    When the vocal comes in, it reinforces this horror movie feel, and then we move into a somewhat Jamaican rhythm and it is a party for all the family ... well maybe not, but close.
    I am not going to try and dissect the lyrics of this, because frankly unless it is some kind of critique of American tourists, I have no idea what the lyrics are talking about. It is done in good fun, and I really like the song. It is an interesting punctuation mark on the album, that creates a lot of pictures, but doesn't really make it very clear what on earth it may be about.

13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

The fanclub video is more fun and shows dee twisted opening lyrics ob dee track.
    Splendid song, the big fat way in which the congas and bass enter your room after the intro never gets old.

14. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Hotel - This sounds like a warped, voodoo version of Paul Simon's Me & Julio Down By The Old Schoolyard. And quite frankly it is all the better for it. Listening to this I'm involuntary grinning whilst listening to this for the first time. If this thread continues like this through to Deceptive Bends then I really think I must hunt out their albums to own physically rather than relying on two or three compilations I currently have. 4.0/5

15. mark winstanley

I doubt you would be disappointed.
    One thing 10cc could not be accused of (at the very least up to Deceptive Bends) is being boring. That is one of the traits of the band that appeals to me so much.

Jarleboy and fRa like this.
  16. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Hotel was written by Godley and Creme, and it really sounds like it (i.e. it's weird as hell). It's like a mini-movie contained in the tune. There's a lot of different parts coming together and that short guitar solo in the middle is unreal. The sound effects of the jungle are effective and move the story along.

17. mark winstanley

Old Wild Men
    I love this song. This is, to me at least, a somewhat whimsical and reflective song. Though perhaps I am missing something.
    This song even seems more relevant these days with so many very old bands on the touring circuit and doing very well.
    The music is beautifully written and executed, and for me the lyrics are quite reverent of the Old Wild Man.
    I don't have an awful lot to say about this track, but please don't think that is a reflection on my personal like for the song.
    Another wonderful song that adds colour and contrast

Mr-Beagle, Hermes, tappioha and 5 others like this.
  18. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Old Wild Men - I really like the double-tracked fuzz guitar in the instrumental part. Maybe the most "normal" song on the album, it still retains interest since it is so well put together.

19. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

It's one of those songs that became completely self-fulfulling... in period interviews, the song came over as the very funny, but also very sad image of an Old People's Home for Retired Rockers. It asked us to imagine all the flashy young rockers of the day, the epitome of youth and vigour, sitting around in their eighties with blankets over their legs, sipping their cocoa, but instead of watching TV and playing cards, they'd still be making music on "dead strings and old drums."

And now, here we are.

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Old Wild Men - I don't own this track. Yet I recognise I've heard it before on the radio in the distant past. This is very conventional by Godley & Creme (early 10cc) standards, but it has a lovely pastoral Wings meets Genesis vibe to it. Whilst its lyrics are rather more relevant the older one gets, and certainly are for (2.5cc) Graham Gouldman and his touring band. 4.5/5

21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

One of my very favorite 10CC songs.

Sublime.

22. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

As opposed to "it isn't going to go quickly Kevin"... ;)

23. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

... along with 'Bobby Brown', of course!

24. Chartstuff

Chartstuff Forum Resident

I don't have a source for it - but always had a feeling that Old Wild Men was about the Beach Boys - who had hit very rough waters even by 1974. 'Where are my BOYS...' '...in deepest water' etc. They let their guard down a bit on this song - which is a bit more openhearted than others on the record. Sure, the satirical approach is there - but it feels kinder than a lot of the rest. Beautiful singing by Eric and Kev.