10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 3, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

2. mark winstanley

How Many times
    This track has a driving acoustic guitar feel and is actually again, a very good song that is quite simply in its structure. There are some nice harmonies from the guys and it is an interesting feel that they created with this. When we move into the instrumental section it has a really nice melody and features Baz Barker on the Violin.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

Desperate Dan
    This track is a bit of fun two. Sounding somewhat like a fifties rock and roll song. Mike Bell rolls out some sax on this and Erci Stewart can be heard doing some nice lead guitar in here also.
    The title makes me wonder if the song was based around the old comic strip Desperate Dan, that I used to like as a kid.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

Take Me Back
    This track is an interesting chord structure and you can hear Godley and Creme playing with that here. This is actually quite a pretty song. About halfway through we get Stewart running some nice lead work over the rhythm track and some backing vocals provided by the lads, and that sort of crossfades with a return to the acoustic and lead vocal.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

Um Wah, Um Woh
    This track is a little more uptempo and has a funky kind of electric guitar strum going on.
    Listening to this stuff for the first time it sort of has a feeling that the guys were really playing around with their songwriting and figuring out exactly what it was they were going to do.
    In the middle of this one we get a somewhat semi-psychedelic break down with some more lead guitar fun from Stewart.
    Then we get an unusual chant breakdown over some percussion. Then just before the end of the song the music section comes back in.

plentyofjamjars67 and Jarleboy like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Suite F.A.
    1st movement - On My Way
    2nd Movement - Indecision
    3rd Movement - The Return
    Just the title Of This track somewhat sums up the sarcastic nature of the guys that make up this band.
    The opening section is again a nice little acoustic song and it rolls along nicely, and then we get a thoroughly sweet falsetto vocal over some gentle acoustic guitar. This moves into a nice semi orchestral section and then we move into a more vamped up version of the original section.
    The transitions quite smoothly into the second movement that becomes a little more riff oriented and reminds me a little (just a little) of some of Zappa's stuff with the Mothers.
    We get a repeated riff section that builds in volume and then fades away.
    The Third Movement comes in as a separate section and it has a slightly more rock feel about it.
    All this stuff is actually pretty cool, b ut essentially I hear the guys playing around with sounds and arrangements.
    What I essentially hear as the third movement breaks again and we move into another section which is essentially a reprise of the opening theme, but instead of singing about being on their way, they are on heading back home.

7. mark winstanley

Fly Away
    Here again we have a nice acoustic piece with a suite falsetto vocal. This is actually a very short and sweet song.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

Run Baby Run
    This track is a little semi blues rock kind of thing and has a semi drunken sounding vocal. It is a cool little track.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

All God's Children
    This is a mellow song that again seems primarily based in acoustic instruments. It has a thoughtful feel, and ends up being quite a nice closer to the album.
    You can hear the guys playing with the harmony vocals here.
    In fact quite a bit of what is on this pre 10cc album has a sound of a band searching for their sound.
    I've gotta say that is my first listen to this album, and it is a pretty interesting listen.

10. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I never knew these Hotlegs albums existed before, I was under the impression that "You Didn't Like It..." was the only they they issued. Honestly, I don't remember much of that album, it's in my collection but I only listened to it a handful of times, and probably not in 30 years.

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

This was actually the only album they released. The compilation came out in 76 and was more than likely issued to capitalise on the bands success.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. tenor1

tenor1 Forum Resident

Thanks for covering this album to start off! As you say, Hotlegs is a band in search of its sound, but the search makes for a nice listen on its own. You hear a lot of ideas that matured a few years later in 10cc. Um Wah Um Woh is my favorite on the album.

The CD issue of You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It includes the entire Thinks: School Stinks album in order, then the 4 extra singles and B-sides. So it's a different running order than the original vinyl release which I got soon after it came out. You can find it at https://www.amazon.com/You-DidnT-Like-Because-Think/dp/B0093N2XN2.

13. mark winstanley

Cheers mate, i may have to check that out.

noahjld likes this.
  14. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

That is a confusing introduction to these guys for sure- like telling someone who is interested in exploring Lennon solo work to start with “Two Virgins” (almost-at least there is actual music on Consequences). “”Sheet Music” is a great gateway into this band IMO.

tenor1 and mark winstanley like this.
  15. mark winstanley

I will be rolling the albums in order, but i was requested to run through more hotlegs.
    The other songs and information are merely to show these guys have a history and a pedigree so to speak.
    Tomorrow we will be continuing with the 10cc catalog.
    This is an album/song thread.

16. Bill Cormier

Got it. Should be fun!

17. Bill Cormier

Just put on the Hotlegs lp to get up to speed here!

18. Bill Cormier

So would “Today” be considered the first true 10 cc song as all 4 members appear on this track (only)?

19. Bill Cormier

As i listen to the Hotlegs lp it strikes me how advanced the production values and songcraft were already in evidence!

tenor1 and mark winstanley like this.
  20. mark winstanley

I would still consider it Hotlegs, as they were playing around, and finding their thing.
    Apparently when they set up Strawberry studios they were more interested in being somewhat of a house band and recording and producing others.
    They did an album for Neil Sedaka (i think it was) and he asked why they weren't doing their own thing.
    10cc after a couple of tries, dipping their toes in the water, came into being.

21. mark winstanley

Apparently Stewart was very much the producer and engineer. One can only assume he was really psying attention during the Mindbenders.

22. Bill Cormier

Never understood why “Neanderthal Man” was mixed so strangely vocal wise.

23. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Sounds somewhat “McCartney”-esque (the album)

24. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

A random 10cc thought: I remember hearing a radio spot for Coca-Cola in the 70s sung by 10cc. I tried to find it on the web without luck. Anyone else remember the ad?

Ludger and mark winstanley like this.
  25. When Fontana left The Mindbenders this was the hit that Eric sang on
    The Mindbenders - A Groovy Kind Of Love

mark winstanley and RickH like this.