10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 3, 2019.

1. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The Marmalade sampler 100° Proof included one track each by Kevin Godley and Graham Gouldman:

ajsmith and mark winstanley like this.
  2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

3. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I've just played "Got To Get Together Now" for the very first time since I bought the single back in 1970, and I'm not certain when I'll play it again. It seems to be a mixture of social commentary and silliness with some very silly backing vocals, presumably from Godley, Creme and Stewart.

Very much a throwaway B-side.

You can hear the 10cc guys in there, however, and the drum sound is again very much Strawberry 1970. Also, the overall production and sound quality are top notch from a time when this still wasn't guaranteed in pop music.

What did catch my ear is the mention of Crêpes Suzette, long before anyone discovered that life was, in truth, a Minestrone.

My next task will be to listen to "I'm Beside Myself" by Frabjoy and Runcible Spoon, which I acquired secondhand from a charity shop a few years ago.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

I'm a little envious - been searching for that record for years now...

5. This song was written about their royalty contract as I recall with Jonathan King. They had 4% of sales or something like that. I'll have to re-read Eric Stewart's book for full details.

6. I mostly skip the spoken word stuff and just keep the music on my playlist.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea. It was 4% I rewatched the doco the other day.
    Jonathan King is quite interesting ... I don't know about others, but he pulled Genesis into the biz and messed that up, and then threw away 10cc ... did the guy ever get it right?

8. mark winstanley

I was a fan of Peter Cook through Pete and Dud, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, and even when somewhat drinking too much, Derek and Clive, so the Peter Cook stuff on Consequences actually is somewhat entertaining to me :)

plentyofjamjars67 and mikaal like this.
  9. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I’d probably not mention Jonathan King to be honest.

10. Lasting Spaces

Lasting Spaces Forum Resident

Great thread! I started my interest with Deceptive Bends and now have the early albums, but not this early, so it is very interesting.

11. tenor1

tenor1 Forum Resident

I love 4% of Something and also agree it's better than the A-side. Besides being a good tune it's also good business advice - 4% of something is indeed better than 12% of nothing, particularly if you limit the term of the contract. I think 10cc did pretty well for themselves after that first contract.

12. mark winstanley

Rubber Bullets

[​IMG]

Single by 10cc
    from the album 10cc
    B-side "Waterfall"
    Released June 1973
    Format 7"
    Genre Art rock, glam rock
    Length 5:19
    Label UK Records
    Songwriter(s) Kevin Godley, Lol Creme and Graham Gouldman
    Producer(s) Kevin Godley, Lol Creme and Graham Gouldman

Written by Kevin Godley, Lol Creme, and Graham Gouldman and produced by 10cc, "Rubber Bullets" was the band's first number one single in the UK Singles Chart, spending one week at the top in June 1973.[1] It also reached No. 1 in Ireland and No. 3 in Australia, but it fared relatively poorly in the United States where it peaked at only No. 73.

The song features a double-speed guitar solo, created using a technique also used the same year by Mike Oldfield for his Tubular Bells album. In a BBC Radio Wales interview,[2] guitarist Eric Stewart explained:

“ That's a double track solo on that. It's, it's very, very high, of course, going through a Marshall stack, then I slowed the tape to half speed – seven and a half [inches per second] – and recorded it, you know, going [plays singles picked notes slowly] and when you speed it back up you've got an octave up, but there's a screaming fuzz on the top of it, that's an octave higher than it was recorded. So it's a very unusual sound done in that way, just an experiment. Because 10cc, we love to experiment, we used to love to waste time. And having the beauty of having our own studio, we didn't have a clock in there so we weren't restricted. ”
    Stewart also recalled:

I was amazed, but pleased that the BBC never banned the track, although they limited its airplay, because they thought it was about the ongoing Northern Ireland conflicts. In fact, it was about an Attica State Prison riot like the ones in the old James Cagney films.

— Eric Stewart[3]
    Bassist Graham Gouldman remembered:

Kevin and Lol had the chorus and part of the verse but then got stuck. We all loved the chorus and realized it was a hit in itself, so we wanted to persist with it. I chipped in the line 'we've all got balls and brains, but some's got balls and chains.' One of my finer couplets.

— Graham Gouldman[3]
    Although the song was not banned by the BBC at the time of release, much later it was banned for the duration of the Persian Gulf War.[4]

-------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a fantastic song that I have always loved. To be honest I had always assumed that it was a gentle nudge at Elvis Presley's Jailhouse Rock, but apparently not.
    This was released as a single just before the release of the album and should have gone a long way to helping get the album in people's collections.
    The song opens with this wonderful rhythmic modulation of chords and then goes into a fake fade and then kicks in. The guys gave this a rock and roll feel, and some very good lyrics that all came together to really sell this song. Also the backing vocals are wonderfully arranged.
    Of course the chorus has a great singalong quality to it. The band put sound effects in here, but not to any degree that distracted from the song. Up at the top there is the first time I have read about the funny little guitar effect they used.
    The quiet section ("Sgt Baker ....") was just another great section and this track just came together really well.
    This track will always be a favourite of mine, it shows wit, musicianship and great writing ability. Thoroughly entertaining song from the guys here.

13. mark winstanley

Waterfall
    This is a fantastic b-side. I'm glad that this track eventually made it onto some editions with extra tracks.
    We have a really cool start to the song, with a somewhat Neil Young feel to the first verse. Then we get a really well written chorus that moves into a really cool synth thing that closes out the chorus, and we move smoothly in the verse.
    It is somewhat surprising to me that this track didn't make it onto the original album, perhaps the rejection from Apple sealed the song's fate, but I think it really would have been a good addition to the debut album.
    An excellent track that I really enjoy.

14. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

[QUOTE="sotosound, post: 21159732, member: 26023"Speaking of B-sides, “ You Didn’t Like It Because You Didn’t Think Of It” (B-side of “Neanderthal Man”) is a great title about a very human response to another’s suggestion and a fabulous track.[/QUOTE]

And it was partially reborn on the first 10cc album as "Fresh Air For My Mama"

bekayne, tenor1 and mark winstanley like this.
  15. Dave Thompson

It also became an a-side in its own right, when the UK 100cc hits collection was released. But I'm getting ahead of things!

16. agn

agn Forum Resident

And it was partially reborn on the first 10cc album as "Fresh Air For My Mama"[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet but are you the Dave Thompson who wrote !0cc The Cost of Living Dreams book? I am currently reading your revised version.

17. agn

agn Forum Resident

Any reason why Chris Stewart chose not to release his autobiography as a book? Financial?

18. agn

agn Forum Resident

Is the Godley/Creme memoir from 1981 worth getting? It is pretty short and currently going for mega bucks.

19. Dave Thompson

I am... hope you're enjoying it.

You mean Eric, don't you? I've wondered that, but yeah, it was probably financial.

I wasn't keen, although I do regret selling my copy many years ago. Have you read Kevin Godley's e-book memoir? It's spectacular.

tenor1, agn and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Chartstuff

Chartstuff Forum Resident

Yes. I love Waterfall. That's not a synth though in the chorus is it? (They didn't really use them). It's backwards Guitar isn't it?

21. mark winstanley

possibly, I'm not sure, but both Stewart and Creme are credited with synth on the debut album

22. Chartstuff

You're right. Good check on the credits. (Always go with the documentation)!

Great thread by the way. I realise we're not at Consequences yet but would it be OK to plug our podcast on the album again? Next week's episode is on the split in 1976?

23. mark winstanley

Cheers

I don't mind if you plug your podcast mate. It may give someone a new angle on the album.

agn likes this.
  24. Chartstuff

25. agn

agn Forum Resident

I am enjoying it immensely. It is terrific. I also recently watched the BBC documentary fr0m a few years ago. They go great together!!
    Yes I confused Eric with Genesis's 1st drummer Chris :)
    Will check out Godley's ebook. Didn't know about it. Is that the one you were raving about in your book?
    Thanks!