"11/22/63" Hulu mini-series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

he filled the bill...

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If the hat fits. :)

3. Michael

wear it!

4. alexpop

:frog:

Michael likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, it was all dirty and crappy. It's funny to look at actual photographs of a street in 1963, and you realize there were people driving 15-year-old cars on the road (from 1948!). Judging by contemporary films, you'd think that every car in 1963 was a brand-spanking-new 1963 car without a dent or even a speck of dust.

goodiesguy, budwhite and Simon A like this.
  6. Michael

LOL...go to some of the run down areas in America today or yesterday...63 will look like truly the paradise it was...shiny.: )

7. alexpop

Some poetic (car) license for sure it was a movie after all. Al Templeton(Chris Cooper) "and the food tastes better back then ". :)

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was in King's book: that completely natural, unprocessed food tasted better in 1962-1963. But getting the cars right in movies is one of those things that fans have complained about for years -- it's even in Roger Ebert's Big Little Book of Movie Cliches. I'll say this: the recent made-for-TV 1970s series Mindhunter did get all the period cars right, and they are beat up and dusty.

Simon A and alexpop like this.
  9. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Yes, that's so true. Any movie or TV show period piece, no one drove anything but a new car. No one had a used car.

10. alexpop

Route 66 had old cars in it.

11. alexpop

TV series :
    How does Route 66 hold up with
    The Fugitive for period setting ?

12. James Slattery

Route 66 took place in the era it was in. It was shot in the early 60s and took place in the early 60s. It wasn't produced 50 years later.

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Stephen King has no inclination to write another time travel yarn.
    Too hard apparently.
    Pity for us fans of the genre.

14. James Slattery

Do they mention how everyone eats chinese food out of a box, something I've never seen anyone do in real life.

15. alexpop

11/22/23.
    Seemed to be generally liked even with period questionable authenticity.

What did JFK theorists think of it ?

16. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I've only read the book but the 'lone nut' people will like it as it generally follows the Oswald as a disaffected, troubled individual who acted alone view. I would guess the pro-conspiracy theorists don't like it so much as it makes it clear Oswald acted alone and there was no conspiracy.

alexpop likes this.
  17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Never, not once, in all my years of eating Chinese food have I ever received a dish in those cardboard cartons. Always either styrofoam or aluminium containers. After seeing those cardboard cartons in so many movies/TV shows I feel cheated, dammit!

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  18. alexpop

That's probably a fair assessment.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was frustrated by the novel because King hints that there may have been people pulling Oswald's strings, but we were always prevented by circumstance from finding out if it was just coincidence or if there truly was a conspiracy. King wouldn't commit either way and just left us hanging. In the TV version, there would be certain conversations recorded and then suddenly loud static would come on and ruin the recording, just at the section that started sounding very incriminating. There was a lot of jerking around like that.

goodiesguy likes this.
  20. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I believe King is on record as subscribing to the "lone gunman" theory. Unlike some of the characters in his books- Bobbi Anderson and Jim Gardener's obsession with the "Dallas Police" as an authority symbol in The Tommyknockers instantly comes to mind...:D

alexpop and Vidiot like this.
  21. alexpop

Lone gunman "
    A more satisfying Hollywood ending perhaps?

22. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

It has been a while since I read the novel but now you mention it it does imply the George de Mohrenshclidt character (who of course existed in real life) might be working for the CIA and be Oswald's case handler. From memory I think he spends some time goading Oswald into shooting General Walker and then possibly JFK but as you say we never get to know for sure as the 'obdurate past' keeps getting in the way.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Let's not forget that de Mohrenshclidt killed himself in 1977, right before he was due to testify before the House Select Committee on Assassinations. But maybe that's just a coincidence... :sigh:

goodiesguy, Leviethan and budwhite like this.
  24. alexpop

Like 11 |22 |63...when he gets good material like The Disaster Artist
    James Franco excels.

25. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Franco is his usual psycho boyscout self, half lost, half looking. It's the supporting cast that makes it intriguing. And the shiny production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.