13th Floor Elevators - "Sign of the 3 Eyed Men" 10 CD Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by d.douglas, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

2. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

My guess would be that the material was lifted straight off the Texas Psych issues. Very easy work for the 'compiler'.

3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I'm reading no noise reduction. From where do you get the feeling that there is NR? Just want to clarify. :)

Paul wrote:

"So, no nasty noise reduction ... The music sounds loud , raw and clean for a change...no over use of stupid noise reduction software - no removing the reverb etc..."

4. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

I am thoroughly excited for this . . ..man it will be good to hear even half of the first two in better generational quality!~~~~~~~> : )

5. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

"Removing the reverb?"

So does this mean the usual, processed sources are being used?

6. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I got the feeling from the use of qualifiers in his statements, i.e., "no nasty noise reduction" and "no over use of stupid noise reduction software."

James

7. http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/46495/flat/10/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Psyps

1 posts
    Re: 13th Floor Elevators Box set

Dec 08, 2008, 14:07
    Hi....

The 13th Floor Elevators box set has taken ages....but there's reason... all too boring to explain but it'll be out soon ....the latest ,realistic date I have been given is mid March , so let's say end of April? I'm hoping to get Roky back over , but no promises.
    The book interior is on the second draft, then it's done.

So, no nasty noise reduction....only person to have touched the tapes is the band's original producer Walt Andrus and engineer Stuart Sullivan ( Daniel Johnston, Butthole Surfers etc)... and Roky joined us occasionally. I' not a music producer , so I kept my mouth shut and pulled together the best team for the job.
    The music sounds loud , raw and clean for a change...no over use of stupid noise reduction software - no removing the reverb etc...

I think it's going to retail at £75.00 ...which for a 72 page full colour book ....10 CDs in mini Lp's cover...oh and a pretty box ...isn't too bad ?

www.internationalartistsrecords.com

There's 13 track sampler....you can get it by buying the Golden Dawn/Bubble Puppy reissues , which I had nothing to do with- so I can't vouch for them...or just write to Snapper Music and demand one or say you're a reviewer ?
    best Paul

8. http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/46495/flat/10/

Psyps

1 posts
    Re: 13th Floor Elevators Box set

Dec 08, 2008, 14:07
    Hi....

The 13th Floor Elevators box set has taken ages....but there's reason... all too boring to explain but it'll be out soon ....the latest ,realistic date I have been given is mid March , so let's say end of April? I'm hoping to get Roky back over , but no promises.
    The book interior is on the second draft, then it's done.

So, no nasty noise reduction....only person to have touched the tapes is the band's original producer Walt Andrus and engineer Stuart Sullivan ( Daniel Johnston, Butthole Surfers etc)... and Roky joined us occasionally. I' not a music producer , so I kept my mouth shut and pulled together the best team for the job.
    The music sounds loud , raw and clean for a change...no over use of stupid noise reduction software - no removing the reverb etc...

I think it's going to retail at £75.00 ...which for a 72 page full colour book ....10 CDs in mini Lp's cover...oh and a pretty box ...isn't too bad ?

www.internationalartistsrecords.com

There's 13 track sampler....you can get it by buying the Golden Dawn/Bubble Puppy reissues , which I had nothing to do with- so I can't vouch for them...or just write to Snapper Music and demand one or say you're a reviewer ?
    best Paul

9. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Having read about it for months + seen the recent statements from Paul and Patrick, I have to say that I have never ever been this excited about a box in my life. Pinch me! :thumbsup:

10. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

A little more information on sources courtesy of Patrick:

"I will add an info page to my new 13th Floor Elevators website which will explain the legal background, as far as it is known. The basic situation is this:

1. The Elevators members sign over the rights to their compositions and recordings to IA and (I assume) the IA-related publishing company, Tapier Music. This was in the late 1960s, unclear when and how.
    2. IA declare bankruptcy in 1971, and everyone involved assumes that the Elevators were just a forgotten 1-hit-wonder. The master tapes are scattered to the wind, as no one gives a ****. Lelan tells Greg Shaw in the early 1970s that no one knows where the tapes are.
    3. Lelan Rogers revives IA, buys the rights to the name and its properties. This was around 1977. In the 60s, Lelan was never an owner, only an employee.
    4. In this resurrection process, new mastertape dubs are created in Texas, from original mixdown masters, which Lelan manages to track down. Original IA employees and owners are involved in the process.
    5. Lelan puts out a few IA/Elevators releases, but there are technical problems, and some of them are vinylsourced. The Radar reissues in England are entirely vinyl-sourced, since the tapes Lelan sent couldn't be used.
    6. Lelan loses interest and begins leasing his IA music to Charly in England. Mid 1980s.
    7. Lelan is sued and generally treated like **** by misguided and confused people, some with close ties to the Elevators. He loses interest even more. Charly licence out their IA music to anybody interested in doing reissues. If any "master tapes" are involved, they are vinyl-sourced.
    8. Lelan sells all his IA music to Charly in a formal sales transaction. This in the mid/late 1990s.
    9. Charly continue their licencing, and do releases of their own, when they feel like it. Still with vinylsourced tapes in mediocre sound.
    10. Paul Drummond is allowed access to Charly's vaults, and among the Lelan boxes he finds mixdown mastertapes, some in the form of safety dubs, of the Elevators 3 studio LPs, as well as several other IA albums. This happened last year (2007).

Still today, many people operate under the impression that the Charly-related releases are somehow illegal. They're not. They were however done without any particular respect or interest, except making some money now and then.

In recent years, Charly have tried improving their reputation by putting genuine effort into the IA-related releases, bringing in knowledgable people etc. Exactly why they never used the tapes that they had all along is unclear, but from what Paul D told me, it's possible they never realized they had them..."

// Patrick

"As for the box-set, Mr Drummond has built a huge collection of Elevators recordings, partly as an agent for the Roky Trust. Well-known archivists in Texas have sold or agreed to loan out their Elevators rarities to him. There are bits here and there -- John Ike Walton (the drummer) has hung on to a collection of rough mixes from the Psychedelic Sounds sessions, which have been reissued several times, on vinyl and CD. Walt Andrus had safety dubs from the Easter and post-Easter sessions, including "Fire In My Bones" an alternate mix of "Dust", and 2-3 other Easter tracks, as I recall. These have too been released several times.

A highly respected musicologist in Houston paid visit to the old IA studio some years back, and in their vault he found several tapes from Easter and Bull. I think these were safety dubs of the official versions. AFAIK, those tapes were carefully guarded, and may still be unavailable. Which doesn't really matter, assuming all of this material was in the recent Charly vault find.

Beyond these, a few stray acetates and tapes (like my Avalon '66 tape) are on hand for the box-set currently in progress.

I can't recall now where the tapes from the Gordon Bynum (="You're Gonna Miss Me") session originated, but those too may have come from Walt Andrus. They are clearly on hand for the box-set.

Some of this rounding up has followed the same route as that of Doug Hanners and Pete Buesnel back in the 1970s-80s, for their TAR releases."

goodiesguy likes this.
  11. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

This set is starting to sound very promising... :eek:

Anyone got the sampler yet?

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Nope - you can get a copy if you buy the new Bubble Puppy and Power Plant sets Charly just put out.

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

What are some ceedee's w/the bands sources?
    (mentioned in posts above ^^^)
    Yeah, it will be GREAT too hear the 1st 'reviews' of the sampler.
    I'm starting too save my pennies for this release...
    now!

14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'd love to hear a review of the new Power Plant if anyone has it.

15. heads up, box set is limited to 3000, pre orders are moving, gonna run about $138.50 with shipping

16. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

At this time, I don't know if I really want to shell out $140 for everything the Elevators ever did as I'm really only interested in the first two studio albums. Is it safe to assume that this material will be reissued as individual CDs at some later date using these new tape sources?

17. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Pre-Ordered, Heck not a bad price at all for a 10 CD box set import.
    Great sound will be a power plus.

18. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

Have they charged your card now-or are they waiting until shipped ?

19. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

..........On the website they said they would be charging it on your card now.

20. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

thanks

21. Electric

Anyone who preorders should receive the sampler to make the wait easier. That's my opinion!

22. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

I really hate the idea that they charge you now for somthing that will ship in the Spring, maybe. There still could be some last minute problem develop and if I am not mistaken, you only have so long to dispute a charge if something goes wrong. This is definitely a bad policy to charge your card now.

23. B.Burl

B.Burl New Member

Yeah, I'm not into that either, so I won't be ordering until it ships. If I'm SOL, well I guess I'll have to try and get it somewhere else than from the record company.

24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Its already been torrented - Just take the time to look.

Beyond that, I can say no more.

:shh:

25. Electric

But I want the official sampler to add to my box set. :rant:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.