150$ fuse drive me crazy

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

One more comment. Manufacture has a lot of nerve to sell a $2 fuse for $150. Greedy!

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I looked at the fuse in my CAT JL5, and sure enough there was an aftermarket fuse in there. It had no brand though.

3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

If you are suggesting upping the current rating of the fuse specified by the manufacturer for one with a higher amp rating this is a bad idea for a number of reasons.

1. The fuse specified by the Mfg. is usually selected to open at the minimum current required to protect the product's circuitry in the case of a fault or power surge on the mains line. By increasing the current value you risk internal damage to the product's circuitry in case of the above.
    2. Probably more important is you risk starting a fire in the product in the event of a fault condition by increasing the fuse value. The product was most likely tested for fault conditions according to the International Audio Video safety standard UL/IEC60065. During these tests short circuit faults are simulated by short circuiting internal components. In many cases, the fuse will open during these tests which could prevent overheating and possible fire condition. By changing the fuse you risk the fault condition propagating into a fire condition.

I have been a product safety engineer for 32 years and can advise that you should never use a larger current rated fuse or any fuse other than the one specified by the component mfg.

Shawn and 33na3rd like this.
  4. harby

harby Forum Resident

I'm not advising anyone to do anything with the fuse, as there is no reason it will improve anything related to audio. The whole thread seems a troll. Fuse certification and quality manufacturing is something that costs money also, and these $150 imported and stickered voodoo fuses are likely less safe than Cooper Bussmann fuses. However, you can have a reference point if a fuse with an actual parameter difference will change anything related to the sound, for $2 for a 5 pack.

vwestlife likes this.
  5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

One other item that affects sound. The human brain. It is a huge processor. If you expect an increase in performance, you may hear an increase in performance. Yet, the equipment is operating the same as before the fuse change.

6. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello Every body

At this moment, I am enjoying Elvis Presley.

"Are you lonesome tonight?"

I had never found his voice so sweet through my audio system before.

Any tweaks can be system dependent.

Try yourself whether it works or not.

jfeldt likes this.
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

Most decent quality, popular NOS tubes seem to be commanding a minimum of $80/pair anymore. Compare that to ~$30/pair for matched JJs. Then there are the issues of availability and consistency, which is far easier with new-production tubes. A tube seller is probably lucky to have 500 good-testing units of any specific model.

It's already been shown that companies like Synergistic simply relabel OTS Chinese parts and charge 10,000%

8. thomaskong

I also do lot of tube rolling on my Line Magnetic 508 Int.

Sometimes 40$ NOS tube make huge differences in sound.

9. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

We have the same circular arguments about USB, power cords etc. so I am not getting sucked into the expensive fuse will improve sound quality argument as if someone feels it makes a difference and has the $$$ to indulge I say go for it.

Unless I misread what you wrote you did seem to imply in your post that someone can simply use a beefier fuse so I felt the need to advise against this practice based on my experience.

You may have been saying this in sarcasm but we need to be careful what we say on this forum as some may take you seriously and try larger fusing in their gear which in this case could lead to a dangerous situation.

rednedtugent likes this.
  10. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Indeed. If the only source for a higher quality tube is NOS. But there are new tube builders out there with multiple echelons of tube quality. From cheap, to not cheap, to modestly expensive, to very expensive.

11. thomaskong

I order from Ebay based on feedback.

So far it is fine, quality of tube varies so sometimes you get jackpot with small sum less than 50$.

12. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I think its interesting that the people posting here who have not tried an audiophile fuse are the ones who mock its potential value the most...

If it's a hobby to you and money back guarantee why not experiment and see for yourself...after all what is the harm to trying it..

The Synergistic Blue fuses make an obvious positive difference in my system but YMMV. I think room treatments are far more important as is a dedicated AC line and power conditioning but even with all that the fuse difference was immediate...trick is wait 2 weeks and see if worth it still

Many people prefer vinyl to digital despite the fact that digital has better lab test scores...

I get it that stuff costs too much but if you can afford it and if money back guarantee then what are you afraid of trying....

I have pass monoblocks and pass claims power cords should have little affect on the sound....startling statement to me but I tried it and ugh I disagree....

Meanwhile REL SUBWOOFER rep says no aftermarket power cord needed and I agree that aftermarket power cord for it didnt have a positive effect in my system

thomaskong likes this.
  13. Roger Beltmann

Roger Beltmann Old...But not obsolete

In the interest of sonic purity I think all fuse holders should have fuse shields like some tubes do. This should minimize accumulated damage from x-rays, cosmic rays and neutrinos.

Blank Frank likes this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

FYI, fuses are not in Australian plugs either.

15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

This smells like a commercial. And when the OP join's the SHF at the same time of the post ...

16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The subject of audiophile fuses is controversial even among those who believe in tweaks. My understanding for their performance (I've never used any) is akin to changes in wire- there are even arguments about directionality of them.
    When I got my old Quad IIs restored and back in play, I cracked a fuse (the fuse holders on those don't really protect the fuse so much as make a circuit). It appears that the original fuses were still installed- from 1961! I did have the amps restored and acquired top tier vintage tubes for them, which made a considerable difference in performance. But for those amps, which were born in an age of non-audiophile wire, I didn't get all fancy on power cords, speaker cable or interconnect. Horses for courses.
    My main system- more modern equipment of a vintage style- horns, SET amps, etc. does benefit from various tweaks. To me, the value of these tweaks comes into play only after you have nailed down the basics. Not just good equipment throughout the chain, and some respect for synergies among various pieces, but careful set up and dialing in over time, taking the room and placement into account.
    I never bothered with audiophile fuses, or for that matter, anything better than Porter Ports for power receptacles (though I don't doubt people hear differences which may be attributable to the metals used once you get past the basic quality "hospital grade" 20 amp receptacle).
    There are all kinds of tweaks out there that may make incremental differences in certain systems depending on set up. I tried different types of 'balls' in the contact points of equipment footers for my racks and did hear some difference. But, my view-- that this level of tweaking should be reserved for systems that have otherwise fully reached their potential in other respects -- is the "no magic bullet" theory. They could improve a system that is otherwise well dialed in. In some cases, I have rejected tweaks even after buying them-- I experimented with the Acoustic Revive Schumann Generator and did hear its effect- some people don't hear any difference with it "in" or "out"; others actually get nauseous from its affect (it appears to work on the person, not the gear, but there is no good scientific explanation for its application other than a lot of theories).
    But, like most things in audio, getting the basics right often makes the biggest difference; from there, the climb beyond is harder, the ascent steeper and the air more rarified.

thomaskong likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The OP has been on other audio forums showing the same pattern. While I don't have a bone to pick with the person, the post content is what I personally have an issue with, where 99% of gear that is tried is magical and a radical game-changer, no matter how trivial or tiny an upgrade it might be. Fuses, bells, magnets,... hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually says that painting his walls a different color or using a different type of paint would benefit the sound greatly. As in "Latex allowed the mids to sound truly organic".

Lastly, the flaunting of his funds rubs me the wrong way, not because any jealousy is involved but rather I find it in poor taste to brag about such things. One post had him brag he spent 10K on CDs this year alone. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as if he's presenting himself as being better than other people, either because he can afford more, or because he believes the money and massive spending (assuming it's all true) gives him more credibility as if being a great audiophile has anything to do with any such things...

vwestlife, Jim N. and Tim 2 like this.
  18. thomaskong

Let us clarify the CD buying.

I had spent 2k$ for the last 6 months to buy 1000 CDs at 2$ each.

That is a bargain hunting and I enjoy new collections.

For hardware, I had not changed any major components from 2012 to July 2018.

Since Aug 2018, I had done lot of renovation on my hardware system.

But it is close to the end.

I may not touch anything for at least 3 years or more.

As much as I like sound from my 100K$ system, I also enjoy music.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Joe Spivey and TarnishedEars like this.
  19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

What I'd like ask the OP is can he say honestly that he's not affiliated in any way with this company and is in no way making a commission or profit by his statements ???

20. thomaskong

I do not have any relation or monetary involvement with Synergistic Research.

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Fair enough, but your profile is hidden, how can we verify your statement.

22. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I wish I had the 20k you spent on cables to spend on my new car last year :)

vwestlife likes this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

$150 fuse and crazy? Sounds like that shipped has already sailed......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.