1899 on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Old Mac, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Got so much stuff to watch now I may as well withdraw from the human race for a couple of years. If COVID comes back in a big way, I'm gonna be all set! :righton:
    It may take me a year to even get around to 1899, but I'll savor it with plenty of episodes available by then to binge slowly at my own pace!

2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Looking forward to Season2!

3. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Slightly off topic.
    I started watching Dark, 3 episodes i think.
    Does it get better, because i'm not impressed so far?

4. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

yes. But it also gets more complex and requires more effort from the viewer. I'm enjoying 1899 but I think Dark is much better, but it remains to be seen.

vegafleet likes this.
  5. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Thanks.

unclefred likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this will come after we watch "Wednesday..."

7. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Looking forward to season 2.

8. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

So disappointed with the ending. Ripped off from the series Life on Mars (including the Bowie reference to let us know that that is exactly what they are doing). Have they really announced a second season?

I liked Dark because it really over-reached in creative ways but in the end did not hang together well. Very well done and carefully plotted but ended up being too long and stretched out. But 1899 just seems to throw weird stuff at the screen because in the end it does not need to make any sense or logic. Trying not to spoil.

Etienne Hanratty and unclefred like this.
  9. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

It does get very, very good but it runs too long and the complexities pile on exponentially. Still worthwhile as a one-of-a-kind show.

Vidiot, Old Mac and johnod like this.
  10. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Thanks

11. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree with this. When I first got Netflix I watched it by myself and recommended it to my wife. She gave up on it halfway thru the first season mostly because she couldn't figure out what was going on. Now after watching 1899 together (which she really liked), I think we're ready to take another shot at Dark.

That way we can pause it when needed and discuss those what-the-heck moments and more importantly 'who is that and what's he/she doing'. It's more fun to watch complex and sometimes confusing stuff like this with someone else.

12. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

What did you think of the acting in Dark?

13. unclefred

I read that netflix has not yet ordered the second season. Also, that the creators planned 1899 as a three season series.

14. Old Mac

Well, it's been a while since I saw it but I don't remember anyone standing out as being really good or bad. Lots of characters, a few seemed a little over the top but they were experiencing some pretty strange stuff. Next time through I'll pay more attention. What is your take on the acting?

15. Old Mac

I read somewhere that 1899 cost 62 million bucks to make. It's probably gonna have to be a big hit to convince Netflix to spring for another season.

unclefred likes this.
  16. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

It mainly seems rather bad to me, like surprisingly bad, but it may be because I'm reading subtitles, and listening to dubbed English, and maybe things are losing a lot in the translation, for lack of a better term.

Old Mac likes this.
  17. larryk

larryk Senior Member

Okay, I cheated. I didn't really feel like investing eight hours of my time in figuring out what would be numerous twists and turns. I found the show's synopsis online which covered all the way to the last episode.

***POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT***

The reference to "Life on Mars" is apt.

18. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I don't see the point of a second season knowing what we found out at the end of the last episode.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It did for me, but as I said earlier, I got 2 or 3 episodes into Dark and said, "this makes no damned sense... unless time-travel is involved and they have multiple actors playing the same character at different ages." And, wouldn't you know... We hung in to Dark all the way to the bitter end, and my only critique is that it's a cold, emotionally distant show. But given that, pretty much everything is eventually explained. You literally need a chart to understand all the characters and alternate universes (which are provided in the Wikipedia entry).

I'm only a few episodes into 1899, but I thought, "what if none of this is really happening, and it's just a delusion?" And the modern music could be a tip-off that maybe we're looking back on this from the future. I said this to a friend of mine, and he said, "well, that spoils everything." But I have no idea since I haven't seen more than the first 3 episodes.

The producers say they have enough for two more seasons if Netflix wants to do them. Note that Dark was the biggest international show they ever made, so anything is possible.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Etienne Hanratty, Old Mac and johnod like this.
  20. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I really enjoyed Season One because of the atmospheric setting like Westworld. Taking the show out of that would ruin it for me like it did WW.

1899 spent a lot of time developing characters that led to nowhere and all they had to do was run around confused. Hopefully S2 will have answers.

vegafleet likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh god does it ever.

Still suggest you start a spreadsheet, because sometimes the characters change. Sometimes they age. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes the timeframe does.
    Sometimes they're not who they were when you thought they were who you thought they were.

Just start the spreadsheet, and thank me later. ;)

johnod, Old Mac and vegafleet like this.
  22. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Don't judge acting if you are listening to the dubbed version. I know a little German (married one) but still needed subtitles. Sounded good to me. Sounded a lot like our family get togethers near Frankfurt.

We watched Money Heist in its native Spanish and all the characters had very individual accents from the different regions of Spain (and one Argentinian) , some more cultured than others. A lot of work was put into giving each one a different vocal personality. It was a pleasure to hear the motley crew talk among each other. But if you listened to the English dubbing, it was everybody with a flat American accent lacking any personality or individuality.

DigMyGroove and johnod like this.
  23. PB62

PB62 Forum Resident

I have not watched this even though the trailer looked good. Reason… I too watched Dark and thought the final season was a disaster.

Look up the Dark thread and my post is the last one from over a year ago…but not if you don’t want possible spoilers. My gut tells me 1899 will be more of the same. Sci- fi is always really hard to pull off start to finish.

I’m mainly commenting because people are talking about Dark. Someone asked about the acting, season 1 and 2….totally fine to even great for some characters. Season 3 ….terrible, unless you think standing around expressionless in a yellow raincoat repeating the same dialogue over and over is considered acting. IMO I’ve never seen a show drop in quality between 3 seasons like DARK.

Maybe I’ll give 1899 a try…. After all it’s just tv. But I have low expectations.

24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Here's another claim of plagiarism that this guy (at least) refutes.

25. unclefred

Finished it and I'm rearing to go for more now that the preamble is over.

Of all of the meaningfull songs in each episode I thought Black Sabbath's The Wizard in episode 5 was the most effective.

JohnG likes this.