1970 RAM DEMOS Listing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morninggloryseed

Morninggloryseed Mind Expanding Seed

Sorry to go OT but everyone else is....so "I'll Give You A Ring" has never been issued on CD bonus/CD single, right? I mean I guess not I don't see it on anything I own, but I started missing a single here and there after Flaming Pie.

All I have is my scratchy old 45 and I really LOVE that song. Would love to hear a not so scratchy version.

2. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Correct. It's never been on CD, so hold on to your 45!

theMess likes this.
  3. Morninggloryseed

Morninggloryseed Mind Expanding Seed

Anyone know Paul to direct him here? He should read this so he can get some ideas on how to bring home more CA$H cause I am sure he needs it.

tug_of_war likes this.
  4. jacden

jacden Senior Member

According to an article in Paul's fan mag Club Sandwich, he specifically asked that Tug Of War would have no bonus tracks when his back catalogue was remastered in 1993. This probably explains the puzzling non-appearance of "I'll Give You A Ring", "Rainclouds" and "Ode To A Koala Bear" in that campaign.

theMess likes this.
  5. rpmzine

rpmzine Forum Resident

Those two ones definitely among my favorite Macca songs. By the way, wasn't Rainclouds a Wings outtake originally?

6. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Actually the song had been rehearsed by the final Wings line-up before Paul call it quits.

theMess likes this.
  7. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Does anyone have any idea why these demos were not included on the Ram re-issue? Does anyone have any info about them?

I wonder if Paul is considering a solo Anthology series?

tug_of_war likes this.
  9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Paul hasn't come out and said this, but it seems evident based on what he HAS released so far in the Archive Collection series that he wants the focus of these reissues to be on the main album. The remastering has been top-notch, the packaging has been terrific, and the bonus CDs have been OK but not revelatory. B-sides included for completion's sake, a couple of outtakes or alternates, maybe a live track or two, but NOT a load of unreleased songs or demos -- in other words, nothing that would overshadow or distract the media or the fans from properly re-evaluating the main album. My own personal theory is that he is limiting the bonus tracks mostly to things that were already released (b-sides), prepared for release but unused (One Hand Clapping tracks, live 1979 tracks, Macca II outtakes), or were released in some form but not widely (mono Ram, Thrillington). There have really only been very few bonus tracks that have fallen outside that parameter.

There have been rumors of a solo Macca Anthology set (or sets) of rarities, outtakes and/or demos, but nothing recent. And of course, Macca himself worked on the Cold Cuts rarities LP on and off for around a decade. Surely he knows from the Beatles' Anthology experience that there is money to be made in his vaults, but this kind of project always seems to take a back seat to a new project. Hard to argue with that, and as long as Paul stays active and productive, I respect his right to focus on his current work -- but boy, what I wouldn't do for an extensive dig into the McCartney vaults....

10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I read through all of this thread earlier today, and I think that your theory is correct and I understand why Paul is releasing these archival albums in this manner. On the other hand I would also love to have an extensive dig into the McCartney vaults, that would be incredible.

I also think that the Ram demos are uniquely placed to be released as a stand-alone album, due to the interest and acclaim that the Ram album has had over recent years.

Has anyone hear ever actually heard any of the demos?

tug_of_war likes this.
  11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I had forgotten that my theory originated in this very thread, two years ago!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/1970-ram-demos-listing.276196/page-3#post-7395902
    I don't think the RAM demos have ever leaked, so we'll just have to guess at how good or bad they are. As much as I'd love to have a Macca Rarities set, I don't see one happening any time soon... :shake:

theMess likes this.
  12. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Man, wouldn't this be a great bootleg? I miss the 90s when some amazing stuff like this just appeared out of nowhere!

13. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

How did I miss this thread? I'm ready to buy this.

theMess and Yorick like this.
  14. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Where are the Yellow Dog people when when need them?

15. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

It's time for a big comeback!

tug_of_war, Calico and theMess like this.
  16. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Just wondering... Could the "4th of July" demo from the "V&M" reissue come from the "Ram" demo tape ?

tug_of_war and theMess like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Etc..thx
    Smile Away would have sounded amazing with Hendrix' wonder if he was aware of the idea/song?

18. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I don't think so, cause the tape description says 'embryonic' about the version found on the RAM demo tape. And the version on the V&M reissue seems quite fully formed.

theMess and Calico like this.
  19. Calico

Calico Senior Member

You're right, I hadn't thought of checking the description first.
    Also, Paul can be heard singing a couple of lines of the song during the 1973 "James Paul McCartney" acoustic rehearsals outtakes, so he must have had the song in mind at that time too.
    John Christie sang his version of "4th Of July" on British TV, I'd love to see that footage if it still exists.
    Paul was really giving great songs away at that time ("Mine For Me", "Let's Love", the McGear songs...).

tug_of_war, theMess and Yorick like this.
  20. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Paul needs to give up his catalog(at least to Flowers in the Dirt) in SHM SACD.
    A Platinum SHM set like the Stones did with mini lps in the white boxes would sell out in a week.

21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That does point to the exciting possibility that we may in future hear another version of Paul singing '4th Of July', which I am pleased about. He should definitely release these Ram demos, even if they don't have great sound quality, because at their worst they are still an interesting curio.

tug_of_war likes this.
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I have no idea in terms of origin....but am currently enthralled by this song. (And searched, in vain, for a thread about it.). It is plaintive, barebones and flat out brilliant.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

There's a demo of "Country Dreamer" (I'll tell you before everyone asks: no, it's not the Backyard version!) that could come from this tape, but as far as remember as no "insect noise" on it, only Linda's harmonies and stuff. Terrific home demo.

tug_of_war, Calico, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  24. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Seven years later, the mystery remains...

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

Hopefully a 50th anniversary edition in May 2021 will include some of these demos. :)

Hep Alien and tug_of_war like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.