1982 Gospel doc Say Amen, Somebody 4K restoration

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

One of our favorite films that we discovered on the old Siskel and Ebert TV show, is the 1982 documentary about a gospel music convention called Say Amen, Somebody has been restored in 4k and is currently on an art house tour of theaters.

[​IMG]

Say Amen, Somebody

We were lucky enough to buy this on DVD back in the day, because it went out of print shortly after, and the only way to purchase it now is a $249 Blu-ray intended for theatrical distribution.

Neither of us are religious, but this is still one of the best music documentaries ever. It centers on Mother Willie Mae Ford Smith and Professor Thomas A Dorsey, considered by most to be the father of gospel music, although long before that he was a piano player for Ma Rainey and one of the house band at the Gennett studio in Indiana - and he been recording songs like Tight Like That.

Seriously this is one of the best music documentaries I've ever seen, on my list with Woodstock and Monterey Pop.

It will have two performances with the director at Chicago's Music Box theater on September 14th and 15th, and displaying other places around the country, having just started showing at the Lincoln Center in New York City

Dan C, longdist01 and john hp like this.
  2. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

4. Chris DeVoe

I hope the fact that this is about gospel doesn't keep people from seeing it. I'm agnostic, my wife is an atheist - and we both love this film!

Dan C and Vidiot like this.
  5. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Agreed, Chris. So much great gospel out there that even we heathens can enjoy and this movie's a gem. I caught it at the old Tivoli in Westport when it came out. The soundtrack (DRG records) great, too.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

The film is playing today and tomorrow at the Music Box. Vickie is there, but I'm stuck in Kansas City. Sadly, there are only 50 people in the theater.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

great to hear it's playing at Music Box...not so good only 50 people in attendance though.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

The choir that was supposed to be there ghosted on them too. But the nephew of one of the Barrett Sisters was there, and Vickie told me he had a powerful voice.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Vickie just Tweeted her review:

451) Say Amen, Somebody (1982) @ Music Box. Thrilling to see again on the big screen! This film festival darling (played at Telluride, NY, Toronto, London, & Cannes) is restored & looks gorgeous. It's IMO one of the greatest music documentaries ever made, and I'm an atheist!​

Dan C and budwhite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.