1st record you remember hearing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floatupstream, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

I think it may have been ‘Who Wants a Ride on My Big Red Wagon’ on one of those yellow 45s for kids back in the 50s. The first non-juvenile record was Perry Como’s ‘Catch a Falling Star’.

2. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Dizzie Tunes "Ra-ta-ta" (1971). It's the first song I can remember that I loved when I was as a little kid. I went to the local library where I lived to hear it. It's not pop rock at all, it's cabaret and comedy. A stone cold classic and more relevant than ever.

3. Well I didn’t want to turn this into a Beatles thread.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure it was this, when I was maybe 4:

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  6. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

The Hal Phillips Cricket Records knockoff on a yellow wax 78 rpm 7" single, "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer"...probably around 1960 or so:

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Perhaps to your chargrin/surprise, the first 3 posts already did.
    :)

wayneklein likes this.
  8. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

Possibly Al Hirt's version of "Java."

9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

tough question! At the moment, memory recall is coming up with Billie Holiday's 1956 Clef label album 'Lady Sings the Blues'. I was in the crib sucking a bottle and I thought it was my grandmother singing in the other room. Something about the voice sounded similar. I also remember learning about phonograph records and of course I later realised my grandmother didn't sing anything like Billie!

10. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I herd plenty of music on Top Of The Pops when I was growing up, but the first actual record that I heard was 'Jailbreak' by Thin Lizzy. That was it....I was hooked, and have never looked back since.

11. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

Ying Tong Song by the Goons !

12. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

13. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I had the 45 as a hand-me-down in 1973 as a 5-year-old... loved it then and still do...

14. Mitchy

Mitchy Forum Resident

Beginning of 1962, new home, new suburb, new friend, friend's parents have a stereogram in the era when they were half the size of the lounge room wall. This song we played repeatedly and watched it spin around and around. The things you do when you're five years old.

I never knew the name of the artist until just now.

The Brothers Four - Angelique-O (apparently a cover of a song made famous by Harry Belafonte)

[​IMG]

15. Thorpy

Thorpy Forum Resident

Money, Money, Money by ABBA in December 1976 when I was 4 years old (rising 5)...remember hearing it on the radio during a drive to school with friends :)

16. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I don't know if they were the first that I heard but I know they were the first that I heard that I knew I liked.

The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreamin' @ 1965 so I would have been 9 years old.
    Still love them today.

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I still have it - "Sh-Boom" by The Chords:

[​IMG]

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The first record I remember listening to with my dad was the new one from Lonnie Donnegan, My Old Man's a Dustman (which he wasn't, nor was my old man!) at Easter 1960, the day we got our first record player (a green Dansette, fact fans)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

2 years old, 1962, staring quizzical at the radio as it played There's No Other Like My Baby by The Crystals. It took 30 years to hear it again and put a title to it, but the long stretch of lyrics made it unforgettable to this toddler.

20. late June '54
    Elvis stopped by clutching brand new Sun 45
    "That's All Right"

21. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident Thread Starter

Huh? you must elaborate. Tell us more!

22. Raoul97202

Raoul97202 Forum Resident

Gale Garnett We’ll Sing in the Sunshine.

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity

Didn't have any records in the house,growing up. This was the first one I bought after my parents gave in to my incessant nagging for a stereo.

EDIT: This was the first long player I heard, for sure. Thinking about it, I probably heard singles at friends' houses, Not a clue what though.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  24. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Other than the stuff played on BBC's Junior Choice it would have to either be Shirley Bassey's "Hey Big Spender" which came out when I was 5 or "Come Fly With Me" which my mum had on a picture disc ep

Naughty Chord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.