2 Shemp era 3 Stooges shorts coming to blu-ray (in 3-D!)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Sally Starr is your aunt? I met her years ago at a Three Stooges convention outside Philadelphia. Very nice lady!

2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

She was the aunt of half the kids living in the Delaware Valley in the 60s. Sadly she was not my real aunt (she just called herself that on the show). She did expose me to daily Popeye cartoons and the Stooges.

Benno123 likes this.
  3. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Gotcha. I only knew her from the Outlaws Is Coming but knew she did the local Philly show with the Stooges. I didn't realize that she called herself that!

4. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

Ok, just found this thread after searching Google for details on the Stooges 3D shorts. What is the proper way to decode/view the 3D effect? I recently and reluctantly (last summer) went to a 3D viewing of one of the latest Transformers movies and brought the supplied glasses home with me. Just today, I tried them out on the DVD of Spooks (special 3D encoded episode along with standard one) and do not see any 3D effects. In fact, they do nothing when moving them away and back to my eyes. The 3D image has green and purple outlines around the black and white images. Are there special types of 3D glasses that anyone knows of to view this properly in 3D? I thought for sure the ones I brought home from the theater would work but I'm sure the technology is way different. Thanks in advance for any info! The DVD's of all the Stooge shorts were remastered in Hi Def I believe also. It's funny to see some of the props like fishing line, etc. These were originally made to be viewed in movie houses. I'm sure no one ever imagined how far they would survive into the future and the resolution be so defined way more than originally.

5. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

The glasses you got at the theater will *not* work with the Stooges DVD's. The DVD's use anaglyph glasses with red and blue filters. Theatrical glasses are mostly circular polarized glasses these days. You need some of these:

10pc/lot Universal Anaglyph Cardboard Paper Red Blue Cyan 3D Glasses For Movies | eBay

Derek

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll take them in 2 D as I'm not set up for 3 D...

7. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

The DVD version doesn't require a 3D television, only the glasses I linked to above. There is 3D blu ray that contains both Stooges shorts as bonus items - "The Mad Magician" from Twilight Time.

Mad Magician, The (3D/2D Blu-ray)

Derek

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks Derek. : )

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

From "Barney Miller":

Levitt: "You like the Three Stooges??"
    Dietrich: "Yes, there's an almost Jacobean interplay between Moe and Curly."
    Levitt: "I like the ones with Shemp myself."
    Dietrich: "I don't think we have anything more to say to each other."

10. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

Many thanks for the info Derek !!

11. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

I’ve been amazed how The 3 Stooges and Van Halen are similar:

David Lee Roth/Curly
    Sammy Hagar/Shemp
    Joe Besser and Joe DaRita/Gary Cherone

Hall Cat likes this.
  12. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

Thank you!!! I have told people about this and none of them saw it.

13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Hagar would have to have been the original who was replaced by Roth, only to have Roth eclipse him in popularity, then be forced to replace his replacement later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.