„2001: A Space Odyssey“ appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Jun 29, 2022.

1. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Kubrick is the man and this is the man's #1 film.

Masterpiece.

2. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

It made much money in 1968 but as I look at stats now they don't exactly lineup with my college film book figures of the 1970's. Who the heck knows. I don't give figures all that much credence especially in those years as film studios were having a tough time. My uncle worked for Fox for a short time and fudging numbers was the rule. He was the one who had giving me some real figures, before his death about a decade ago, of the total Apes franchise of 68-74 and boy what $$$ they made- unofficially. Taxes and more Taxes.

a customer likes this.
  3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I heard it took seven years to break even.

apesfan likes this.
  4. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

My mom went to high school with Kubrick.
    Taft HS in the Bronx.

5. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

so did edyie gorme.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

Glad I saw it in a Cinerama theater on it's first release. It's unfair to criticize or otherwise dissect it without that experience in mind.

7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yep, my mom still talks about her and Tony Curtis who she had one date with. I grew up across the street from Taft High School in the 1950’s. It was still a Jewish neighborhood; clean, safe and well cared for. The Bronx was beautiful back then.

8. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I would love to see "2001: A Space Odyssey" on an Imax screen with Solby Atmos sound. Maybe one day.

9. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Lolita is superb. Quilty played by Peter Sellers, Humbert's nemesis, other than himself of course, is excellent. The book and picture have been thoroughly me-tooed, and perhaps rightly so, but I still think it's excellent Kubrick and an important transgressive story.

10. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Great movie, looks and sounds fabulous in 4K UHD. I saw it in Cinerama when it came out and saw the tour of the print restored under Christopher Nolan supervision which didn't look and definitely didn't sound particularly great. But Keir Dullea was there to tell Kubrick stories that were eyebrow raising.
    Incidentally regarding the score it's famous for using the Blue Danube and Thus Spoke Zarathustra but also for the use of all that eerie contemporary Ligeti. I think Kubrick discovered the Ligeti when he was editing the movie and made an impulsive decision to replace what he had, but didn't inform Ligeti or get the rights.
    If you have a big screen and surround at home and a 4k player get yourself a copy and settle back.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Got one in 4k, still haven't watched it. It will be a guilty pleasure, my wife can't stand the film. To quote Strother Martin"some people can't be reached".

longdist01 and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Same here. For example, the opening shot doesn’t have the same impact on a flat screen. I went with my cousin and uncle and rode in the luggage shelf of his 1967 Corvette.

JohnK

Old Rusty, Richard--W and keys74 like this.
  13. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I adore the film, as I do all of Kubrick's work. I regret that he isn't alive to see just how good the restorations have become.

I have the HD restoration from the late 2000s, which looks fantastic. I don't have the 4k remaster yet.

I recently watched The Shining 4k remaster at my local theatre and was just blown away. Outstanding. We are very lucky to see the films in this quality.

14. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

I own the 4K Blu Ray and it‘s like an extraterrestrial experience to watch this movie in such a fantastic quality:cool:

15. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

And if you have a DVD-A player and 5.1, get a copy of this too, and settle back. Oh my.
    György Ligeti - WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln, WDR Rundfunkchor Köln, SWR Vokalensemble Stuttgart, Peter Eötvös - Requiem, Apparitions, San Francisco Polyphony
    [​IMG]

16. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Thank you. I absolutely could not agree more.

somnar and shug4476 like this.
  17. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE. USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE.

18. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Me neither. The last time I watched it, it was the blu-ray and on my plasma TV. This combination was actually perfect. It looked like it was filmed yesterday.

19. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I saw it when it in the theater with my Dad in the late sixties. I don't remember being blown away by it (I was only 8 or 9 years old) but remembered it being pretty good.

When it was in a local theater in the late seventies -- and I'd discovered pot -- I convinced two of my friends to go with me to see it. I sold it to them as being pretty trippy and something we'd enjoy in our pot-induced haze. Needless to say, before the movie we smoked a lot to get us in the right frame of mind.

Half way through they were both asleep in their chairs and didn't wake up until it ended and the lights came on.

I still absolutely love it and have seen it many times since but it's not for everyone -- especially friends with short attention spans.

Richard--W and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  20. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

Exactly.

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  21. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

The same thing happened with my friends when I took them to see "Fantasia". I was transfixed, they were out cold. I think attention spans are a thing of the past. One of the things I love about this classic is the rhythm of the film. But I admit , by today's standard, it does lag a bit at times.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

The 4K Blu Ray looks like it was filmed today;)

shug4476 and longdist01 like this.
  23. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

The Moon base shown on the cover had a "magic eye" effect that doesn't show up on digital repros.

24. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

4K releases of older movies will often reveal more noise and/or grain. :cry:

25. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Everything was put upside down with 2001... or sideways, like the widescreen TV in the end sequence.

[​IMG]