2001 coming back in 70mm, unrestored

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Your right though. Probably too much sun. You have no idea. :righton: I gotta admit you gave me a chuckle and I couldn't think of anything witty....not that I ever really have.

DaveySR likes this.
  2. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

3. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

4. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I saw the film during its 2001 run at the Uptown too. Very disappointed in the print quality and especially the sound. Really loud and distorted. Maybe the projectionist wasn't up to par. The Uptown has fallen on hard times in general, like all the old movie houses I guess.

IronWaffle likes this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I believe that the Uptown's 70mm projector was removed in 2007, as around that time they began promoting their digital projection capability. So I seriously doubt they have the equipment today to show that 70mm print of "2001: A Space Odyssey."

Also, the theater was acquired by Cineplex Odeon in the late '80s. That chain later merged with Lowe's, then AMC, so the Uptown is now properly known as the "AMC Lowes Uptown 1." Fortunately, the art deco facade remains, even though the interior has been completely renovated and stripped of its original "movie palace" appointments.
    Last year there was quite a flap over AMC's plan to remove the Uptown's original red sign and replace it with one that read "AMC." After some bad press from the local community, the chain backed off its plans and announced they would keep the original sign -- in fact, they restored & outfitted the old "UPTOWN" sign with new LED lighting.

[​IMG]

Simon A, Ghostworld, genesim and 2 others like this.
  6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've lived in the suburbs of Maryland for decades, but in my younger days, the Uptown was just up the street from my Woodley Park apartment. Fond memories...

Wes H likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Big theater!

8. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Stanley Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ Gets First Imax Release

Lots of questions 'bout this.

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Digital or not, I'm in for this.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Me, three. At least it might be easier to catch. I wonder how it would look on one of those roundish IMAX screens. Maybe it could mimic Cinerama?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  11. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

If it was running at the California Science Center instead of LieMAX .....

Ghostworld likes this.
  12. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

The closest IMAX to me has trouble with black levels. I can't wait to see the starfields in the gray of space.

13. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

If it's at the Lincoln Center Imax I'm in (but I'm sure I won't get in).

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The curve wont bother me one bit. Bring on that incredible sound I heard at the Boston Museum Of Science. Best, most engaging, organic sound I've ever heard in a theater. Including the NY Symphony at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center (which was known for it's disappointing acoustics).

15. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Saw it tonight in IMAX. Stunning. Overwhelming. I’m still reeling from it. The best I’ve ever seen it, and I’ve seen it dozens of times. Going back next week.

16. pjc1

pjc1 Forum Resident

Same here (Boston-area Jordan’s IMAX). Ends Wednesday- if you’re interested at all and live in the area, GO! We won’t get this chance again.

HiFi Guy 008 and sleepjar like this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I saw the Imax presentation a few nights ago. Looked very nice. The sound wasn't as good as I hoped. The loud music parts sounded distorted and not very good. I don't know if the original sound elements are the problem, but it should be easy enough to create a new mix using better sources for those parts (Also sprach Zarathustra and The Blue Danube).

I really liked that there were no previews before the movie, as I hate sitting through those. At the start time, the overturn began playing and a few minutes later you're into the movie. And then everyone applauded when it was all over, so that was nice.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

No 70mm screenings over here.
    Can't wait to get the new version on 4K blu-ray.
    Does anyone have info on the source? Is the film restored or was it already in good condition?
    8K or 4K scan?

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As a lifelong DC-area resident, I've viewed the Uptown as the premium screen around here for virtually my entire existence.

Not any more - the last couple of times I went, it seemed lacking. Not bad but not better than what I can get at the local AMC! :sigh:

IronWaffle likes this.
  20. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

There were only about two dozen people in the theatre when I watched it in IMAX.
    Early showing but still. I only noticed it was showing because I was looking weekly if the 70mm version would be shown somewhere in Montreal. No advertising whatsoever that I saw.
    Were other places full?

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Discussions over on the HTF show sparse attendance.

Not sure why this comes as a surprise. It's a 50-year-old movie that's running for a week - I'd be more surprised if screenings were packed!

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'd guess 50-60 in the IMAX theater showing I saw at 7:00 pm on a Thursday night. Mostly men, mostly older. I only saw a handful of people who looked to be in their 20's or 30's.

23. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I saw it Friday and was underwhelmed. Not sharp, and out of focus, or some other issue, and this was an IMAX theater.
    I've read others who have had much better showings, so this particular theater must be run by incompetents.
    The sound was good, that's the only positive thing I can say.
    There was only a handful of people at my showing.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

70 mm equipped cinemas had it in 6 track analog magnetic sound. 35 mm cinemas were Academy mono optical sound.

Jason Manley likes this.
  25. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

I'm glad I found this thread. Had no idea it was back in theaters! I might go on Wednesday.

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.