2016's best albums - according to Mojo magazine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Went with Radiohead. Cohens at a very close second, & Bowie third. Tribe had the biggest surprise though, and is up there as well.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  2. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

That's a decent list. I am presently loving Dedekind Cut's $uccessor and would put it up for consideration.

3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Good to see they chose the right record for #1

mmars982 likes this.
  5. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

From this list; Iggy. From their top 50, Iggy again.

6. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

ahh

7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would really love to see your or anyone else's top 25. All recommendations appreciated.

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I picked Ryley Walker, but my favourite is probably the not listed Esperanza Spalding record.

rocknsoul74 and ConnieGuitar like this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I bought quite a few new releases in 2016, but only one of them is on that list.... :rolleyes:

10. Bowie an Cohen bookmark the year

11. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I'm sure there's a lot of good albums in that Mojo list, but it's a big world out there, too big and too pointless to copy out here. People go hunting, armed with your own taste framework as a start.

12. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I'd vote for Richmond Fontaine. What?!?! not on the list!!!

SHU and Davey like this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Beautiful record, at times this year it would be my favorite too, though right now I'm kind of in a different music mood (though it did make my top 10 playlist in the @Sprocket Henry thread ... Best of 2016 Playlists (streaming only) »). I see it made #63 on the Uncut list in the other thread.

14. Jack o' the Shadows

Jack o' the Shadows Live and Dubious

There was no question which album should get my vote. Car Seat Headrest by a longshot. Cave, Harvey and Cohen also had decent to great albums, but none of them came close. Also thought "Night Thoughts" by Suede deserved a spot on the list. It definitely surpasses the new ones by Dylan and Simon.

15. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

By far the record I've played the most this year. Growing and growing. I think it's their best. And for once me and my wife enjoy the same record...

Sprocket Henry and Davey like this.
  16. Mastering isnt the best but Bowie's Blackstar was a brilliant return to form. Here would be my second choice.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I would pick Blackstar out of devotion to Bowie but in truth I have played the Radiohead album more than any other. In fact, I'll vote for it, just because Bowie will likely dominate these proceedings without my help.

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

God to see that The Divine Comedy actually made the Top 50. :)

The year's not finished yet. I'm sure there will be some internal Best Of combo lists as we hit the EO year.

Btw...that Jenny Hval is great.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Sticking with Pop/Rock - the best album of 2016 thus far is, imo, Lucinda Williams Ghost of Highway 20.

Of those listed above - Radiohead, Moon Shaped Pool.

It might well have been Bowie, but I'll be perfectly honest, I've not been able to face his music since his death. I don't even own Blackstar (I've heard it though). Just couldn't bring myself to buy it....... And the new discography box sets have been so damn disappointing............

20. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

David Bowie - "Blackstar" is my Album Of The Year

Props to these greats that are also on my year end list:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
    Iggy Pop
    Paul Simon
    The Cult
    Bob Dylan

I would have added the Red Hot Chili Peppers album (which I think is terrific) as well as Elton John's "Wonderful Crazy Night" (that ranks up there with his great albums)

As for the rest of that list, at least 17 of those releases I don't care for at all and the Bon Iver album is quite frankly one of the worst things I've ever heard. I find it unlistenable and borderline offensive when I'm forced to listen to it at HMV (where they often play it)

21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Bowie and Simon leading the way.

Boy are we old.

And to that I also say...:tiphat:

22. "Stranger To Stranger" by Paul Simon got my vote...but I loved "Schmilco" by Wilco just as much (it wasn't a choice here, but was on the other, Uncut, poll, where I voted for it there...)

Honorable Mention to- Leonard Cohen & David Bowie

chickendinna likes this.
  23. "Schmilco" by Wilco... which wasn't on this list, but was on the larger, longer, full list, at #36...

Macman likes this.
  24. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Emily's d plus evolution by esperanza Spalding

25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Bowie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.