2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

What would take guts (and therefore never happen) is the HOF admitting that rock is no longer a driving cultural force and cutting way, way back on inductees (after they deal with some very obvious exclusions). Some years, maybe nobody gets in.

It's supposed to be the best of the best, not just Bands Who Were Pretty Good But We're Rapidly Running Out of Names.

Or change it to the Popular Music Hall of Fame and open the floodgates.

Kevin55 and cgw like this.
  2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Holy s***, it's been that long?

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Exactly the kind of trolling that I can get behind!

ash1 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Looking at the list my thought is that it is time for the old farts (I am one) to relinquish control and hand the reins over to the coming into middle age crowd (AKA people who actually listened to the acts becoming eligible).

Am I the only one that thinks the Hall is watered down too much already?

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

But what about Crosby & Nash and Stills & Young??? It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham!

There are plenty of other artists with resumes just as impressive, though I do agree that Stills is worthy. That's why he has already been inducted twice. He's been fully recognized for his talents. Of course, they should have just inducted CSN and CSNY at the same time, since one is essentially an extension of the other, though I gather that there was some kind conflict between Young and the others that year which prevented it. Isn't it striking to you that you're the only one on this board beating this drum? It's not because people here don't like CSNY. It's because everyone else recognizes that it's ridiculously redundant when there are so many other worthy artists who haven't even been recognized once.

6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Mc5 !!!

Dr Faustus and LandHorses like this.
  7. paste

paste Forum Resident

Not sure why people think LL Cool J is a lock, this is his fourth time to make the initial list.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wow!

you really just have no clue how good he is, so a smart-ass answer that you thought was cute is your choice of response.

9. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Every year this thread comes up, I click into it feeling like I should be sitting back a safe distance from my computer screen wearing riot gear. It's very much like finding out a friend or neighbor you've known forever voted for a political candidate that you personally can't stand.

"You don't even know who the MC5 is yet you're making a case why Bon Jovi should be a shoe-in? I thought I knew you, but.....who the hell are you?" :)

BadJack likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

So what Meters and Link Wray songs should I hear? Familiar with everyone else.

11. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Totally get why it might be redundant but I'd be well up for seeing the awkwardness of CSNY being inducted given current relations. Maybe they'd actually end up sorting their **** out but given Crosby, Stills and Nash's current decent to excellent solo output I'm not sure I want them to get back together anymore. The 4 of them can't be arsed to play in the UK together anyway so I'll just vote for their induction on the grounds of seeing the Wombles at war.

12. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

It's about influence. Anything that happens with the RRHOF Wenner has a huge say.

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

You are right, but the HoF is going to bypass some of these valid nominees and go straight to Radiohead and LL Cool J because those are the politically correct, hip, and fashionable choices. The HoF is an extension of Rolling Stone. Judas Priest should get in before Rage, but there is no way Rage is not getting in for obvious reasons, even if other acts like Dire Straits, The Moody Blues, The Cars, and even Depeche Mode have had a much greater commercial and artistic impact over the past 3-4 decades.

14. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

And Eddie Money! Dammit!

15. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Have to say, I'm still super bummed that The Monkees & Paul Revere & The Raiders didn't get nominated, but I do like the list this year. I think these 5 will get in:

Bon Jovi
    The Cars
    LL Cool J
    Moody Blues
    Nina Simone

Routing for Depeche Mode though...

16. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Sure, but look at who the Rock Hall puts in every year. If this was a HoF in Britain, sure. But if you look at what the RRHoF is--an extension of Wenner and Rolling Stone and Robbie Robertson and the like as tastemakers and gatekeepers for "rock"--Kate Bush probably gets passed up, at least for a while. She just doesn't register here the same way, as much as she's a groundbreaking artist who should be a shoo-in.

17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I don't think that's been true for awhile, and it doesn't seem he bothers to stay that actively involved (especially now with the RS sale going on). It's known for instance that he never cared much for Yes who got in last year.

19. Say It Right

The only rapper on the list which means he's all but assured of induction.

MekkaGodzilla and Szeppelin75 like this.
  20. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Well, to be fair, there's a difference between believing that Bon Jovi deserves to be in and believing that they will get it. If it was solely up to me, MC5 would already be in and Bon Jovi couldn't even get in with paid admission. But, let's be real, Bon Jovi will absolutely get in.

21. Say It Right

Bon Jovi helps sell tickets to the dinner MC5 does not.

22. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

I would think Kate Bush -- especially if she performed *anything* -- would sell tickets like you wouldn't believe...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I totally agree.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Kate Bush
    The Meters
    Moody Blues
    MC5
    J. Geils

Where the hell is Todd Rundgren?

m5comp, Daryl M and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

With Peter Cetera on bass of course... :):)

Sammy Waslow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.