2018 RSD Black Friday pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

If it's any consolation, my copy of the MoFi has multiple pops and clicks and the digital copy I made took a lot of work to clean up. That, and complimentary reviews I read, is why I bought this release too.

Even putting the issues with the MoFi aside, I actually prefer the sound of this new pressing in comparison.

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

In regards to the not so positive comments about the B52s - Cosmic Thing...I got it and think it sounds just fine! Nothing spectacular, but still real nice sounding and glad I got it!

3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The discussion of sound quality in this discussion is more interesting to me. I have read many discussions mentioning surface noise and many bad pressings and other criticism. But, this time i have one of the LPs being discussed. And i get the feeling it's like reading restaurant reviews online. I take 'em with a huge grain of salt. Now i will apply this with lp pressing reviews. I'll compare it to when a large group, like my family, go out to eat. Everyone has an mo. My aunt liked nothing, always. And everyone else had their peeves or specific likes. My dad, if the waiter or waitress pays extra attention he loves the place. I hate that. With me, leave me alone and i hope the food is halfway decent i'm happy.

I bet some of these complaints are personal perspectives rather than actual reality.

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well must have missed it, which title are you referring to and thanks...

5. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I did not pick up the Bob Marley Wailers Catch a Fire at the store. Thinking it was not worth the almost $40 price. It nagged at me a bit so I finally picked one up on EBay. As luck would have it the unusually shaped cover had crease damage cause a regular LP mailer is probably a half inch or so too tight. The seller offered a ship back or a $5 discount. I opted to keep it. I opened it and immediately noticed this is not 180 gram vinyl. It’s more like my 80’s flimsy copy. And off center as well. It sounds ok (as I am of the belief that heavier vinyl does not make too much of a sonic difference) but it would be nice if Universal Music was to stand by their 180 gram claim. Out of all the major labels doing reissues, I almost always have an issue with their pressings.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Sorry you had issues. When I got this on RSD, I posted that this was not 180G, and also commented on the flimsy cover. Luckily my copy is fine and I keep the vinyl in a MoFi sleeve outside the actual cover but inside the 3MIL outer sleeve that protects the cover, works much better. I'm happy with the sound...

What I really noticed this past RSD is the jack in prices. A lot of the titles were way over priced and honestly, unless something mind boggling comes out in the future or they get some of these ridiculous prices down, I am pretty much done with RSD. There are just too many cool non RSD titles coming out these days and would rather save my $$$ for those...not bitter, happy with the titles I recently got, but like many of us, enough is enough. Plus, Quality Control needs to get better!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Ray29 likes this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Todd Rundgren Something/Anything? RSD release is it worth getting my local still has a copy and going there today.

8. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Crickets....so did you end up getting it? An Amazon reviewer indicated the sound was not as good as the original vinyl release.

9. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Just saw that someone revived this thread and it prompted me to respond to your post. I went ahead and purchased this last week from Newbury and I'm completely impressed with it. Flat quiet vinyl, and sound wise, I've got to say Bellman did an outstanding job with it. So much so that I'm considering buying some other Phish vinyl.

Geee! likes this.
  10. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Is the CSNY release worth picking up? There's a few leftover at my local shop.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I haven’t cracked mine open yet, but most seem to like it a lot (mixed in, of course, with a smattering of “I prefer the original vinyl”). The consensus also seems to be that the pressing quality itself is excellent.

12. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Cool, thanks. Maybe I’ll take a chance for $40. I like CSNY but never listened to this album before.

13. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I just noticed I posted this in the wrong RSD thread....

14. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

My still sealed Bananarama Remixes Volume 1 skipped on 2 of the 4 tracks (1 significantly). Otherwise I think the sound was very good.

15. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

A bit of a late reply but I do have the MOFI, it doesn't sound bad but I am fairly unimpressed with it, I wish for something better. Funny that a few years ago I thought it was good. I don't generally rave about their silver label releases so you might still like it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    ARK likes this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Did anyone here get the Cannonball Adderley "Swingin In Seattle? Just got a copy for $25 (still new) but have not listened to it yet. Is this a mono recording?

17. Jeff Brocklebank

Jeff Brocklebank Forum Resident

Stereo. Great recording and performances.

scotti and Greenalishi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.