2018 RSD Black Friday pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Yes, my error! 4 lp set!

2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Anyone crack open the dexter Gordon release?

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Only 4 tracks duplicate from reckoning on a double album release. That leaves quite a bit of choice material, worth it for the wind and rain alone if nothing else.

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

For those that are CD focused, this was rereleased on disc as well. Great album, regardless of format.

Jerry and DrJ like this.
  5. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I played it last night. Sounds fantastic to me.

If you're an AAA dogmatist, you may be disappointed: the liner notes say something like "Transferred from original analog tapes by Malcolm Addey," which suggests a digital step. But Addey is one of the best in the business, and the recording and transfer are both superb. Tons of air and space, great separation, excellent bass.

The performance is from 1982, but it's vintage Dexter -- classic jazz, with no concessions to the electric/fusion crowd. There are four long performances, two of which feature Milt Jackson on vibes.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Just played the Ramones - Live in Glasgow. It's great. Perfectly pressed. It sounds like what it is. It's a Ramones album with the classic line up. Dee Dee is pretty much cut out the mix and Tommy's drums sound muddy. If Dee Dee it there, he's playing the same note on beat with Tommy. But Johnny and Joey sound great to me. These guys never put out an Audiophile album and they still haven't. But if you ever wanted hear the Ramones live during the Rocket to Russia tour, and I see no reason why you wouldn't, this album fills that void. Highly recommended.

7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Seconded. Great music and sound in any format, the old CD was fab too, but very nice to have this in such a lovely LP pressing! It does lack that extra bit of warmth and realism that an all-analog chain might have yielded, but to my ears it is still quite excellent.

Christopher B and fishcane like this.
  8. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Bobbie Gentry Ode to Billie Joe: Amazing sound quality and great roots-country-pop. I'd never heard the music before, but it's a new favorite. Some of the best sounding overdubbing work I've ever heard, my hats off to the original engineer.

9. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

Wow! How surprising is this that were already halfway onto page 2 and solid, positive comments about high-quality pressings are pouring in?!?!

I have only had time to spin the Ella Fitzgerald, and I'll continue the trend by saying it's excellent. Great pressing (although I don't know where and who...) and man, what a performance. Totally leaves you wanting (much) more, as the audience that night can clearly attest to. I've bought all jazz titles this go around, with the exception of the Catherine Wheel album. More to report tomorrow hopefully. Let's keep the good reviews coming :pineapple::tiphat:

10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Looking forward to your impressions of the Stooges.

11. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Sounds really good to my ears. Nice quiet pressing.

Christopher B and Jerry like this.
  12. guitardiet

guitardiet Forum Resident

Anyone pick up/play Emmit Otter?

13. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Any opinions on the Roy Buchanan?

14. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

Any opinions on the Popeye demos?

15. Scott 4

Scott 4 Forum Resident

I noted this elsewhere, but I got a few titles, and two were disappointments - the David Axelrod reissues. Earth Rot, pressed by United, is off-center and Now Again have offered to replace it for me. United is also responsible for the even more off-center Pride, from Get on Down ('Manufactured by Rhino') and it sounds unacceptably draggy. Pure junk. Not sure why anything Rhino 'manufactures' for a licensee is handled by Rainbo or United, because they have proven they are incapable of pressing anything acceptable of late.

Fortunately, the Lebron Brothers, Herbie Hancock and Madonna releases I grabbed were all perfect or close enough.

16. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

I just finished listening to the Hancock Flood reissue. Other than a few mild crackles at the beginning of Record 1, Side A, the pressing was great, if a bit rough-finished. It seems like a good pickup for the price, though it does make me want the Speakers Corner now since Herbie is a favorite of mine. I'd rate the release as follows:
    Pressing Quality: 7/10 (A few mild crackles on one side after cleaning, touch thin, edges are sharp)
    Sound Quality: 7/10 (Pretty good for a live album, but makes me curious to hear the mastering on the SC release)
    Packaging Quality: 5/10 (Decent for a printed-on-board gatefold)
    Music Quality: 9.5/10 (HH and the Head Hunters were on fire in these performances)
    Overall: 7/10 (Worth the price if you like the music)

zeram1, Lethrus, RandelPink and 2 others like this.
  17. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Good to hear. I was on the fence about that one, but didn't pick it up. My local store still has stock on hand, so I may just have to go grab a copy.

Did you also get Vol 1. that was released back in June as part of RSD Crawl? Is the quality the same? I can still pick up that one at my local, too.

monomusic likes this.
  18. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I did not. I'm not a huge, massive GGD fan, but I do like them, good band, good songs, etc. Being that live albums generally sound iffy on vinyl, I wasn't expecting it to sound all that great, but it really does. The vocals stand out a lot. I didn't have any of their albums on vinyl, so when I saw it, I just decided to get it. If you're a big fan, then yeah - go grab it for sure.

Rocketdog likes this.
  19. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Interesting and how about the sound quality if you compare it to an original pressing from the 70's?

20. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Could use more Spinach

ZippyPippy, Davidmk5 and Marc Perman like this.
  21. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I've yet to ever hear a re-issue that sounded better than a near-mint condition original pressing. One exception would be some of the mono re-issues. Dylan, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc. It is incredible how those sound equally as good, and in some cases, better than the originals. But for stereo? Forget it. Originals all the way. Just my opinion.

GyroSE and btltez like this.
  22. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

Just listening to my copy. A truly great release.

23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I picked up this set Friday and it sounds really good IMO, I have all the blue vinyl Culture Factory BÖC albums and this is the best sounding set out of them all IMO.

Davidmk5 and monomusic like this.
  24. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

I grabbed a copy and played it last night. I think it sounds really good. Really clean playback with no noise. Recommend it if you are a fan of Emmet and his jug band!

uzn007 and hhjack like this.
  25. Scott 4

Scott 4 Forum Resident

Is properly centered?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.