2018 RSD Black Friday pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

If you have to buy just one pricey four LP set this Black Friday RSD, make it this one. :thumbsup:

scotti and DrJ like this.
  2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

That's a real drag to hear about. These Pride and Axelrod titles are great and deserve great pressings. I would shed no tears if I were to wake up to the news one day that the United and Rainblow plants had been hit and destroyed by asteroids or a flying saucer attack.

3. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Mine sounds fab too. Really nice pressing. Loving this.

scotti, funknik and DrJ like this.
  4. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

I passed on this because from what I could tell it is the exact same setlist as Ramones - Its Alive but played a few days later. Anyone want to tell me I am wrong?

5. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

There were multiple copies at my local shop. Maybe I’ll go back. I have an original pressing that I play often.

I’m having a little buyer’s remorse on the Jerry Garcia and Stooges sets. They’re fine, but I’ve heard these Garcia songs so many times before and I didn’t read the Stooges notes carefully enough or I would have noticed that I have all of these tracks on other sets.

I’ve got a bit of a head cold though, so maybe it’s effecting my ability to enjoy these.

6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

It’s a great set! My LPs are also flawless.

scotti likes this.
  7. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Mine sounded like shrill city
    Toned down a little by track 3. Ugghh

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You got lucky!

Side 3 is a 'Play at Your Own Risk' quality on my copy.

Tiny bit of nonfill I could live with on Disc 1 : Side A.

9. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

I'm starting to think I got really lucky to get an almost silent copy.

10. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Cosmic Thing sounds great, it’s an Ian @ Capitol cut...his hilariously sloppy deadwax signature is reason enough to buy this.

scotti likes this.
  11. Zapruder

Flaming Lips “Mushroom Tapes” - warped beyond all repair. Totally useless copy. Gonna try to swap it out.

12. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Tomorrow DK.

Got through RATM, and it's nice, better quality than the live stuff that came out last RSD.
    Winter, Cotton, Waters, low eq, nice
    HH-Flood, very nice, although his recent Austin City Limits (Jan or Feb 18) performance is mucho better.

Soundslave likes this.
  13. Zapruder

Rare Power sounds ok, a little lifeless but that might just be the source material. No idea why they put that stupid remix at the beginning of side 2 :hurlleft:

funknik likes this.
  14. Scott 4

Scott 4 Forum Resident

Ooops. I mean is the vinyl centered.

15. Scott 4

Scott 4 Forum Resident

I didn't have any hopes for this. Most UMG/UMe product is off-center or has other flaws (I think they mainly use United) and after a couple of off-center Real Gone titles, I decided to avoid this label, even more so after they refused to reply to my complaint about the reissue of Monk Higgins being an off-center Rainbo piece of junk

Yayastone likes this.
  16. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

No wonder since the original CD release was super great sounding.
    I'll add my review on it upon receiving :)

Static Discharge and JNTEX like this.
  17. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

I picked up the Alice Cooper live at the AstroTurf and Frank Zappa “We’re Only in it For the Money” mono picture disc. Alice Cooper is a nice flat quiet pressing, grey vinyl. Awesome performance! Can’t beat the original Alice Cooper group. Zappa picture disc, surprising quiet for a picture disc, I’ve heard worse. This disc will spend a lot of time on my table, it will not be hanging on my wall.

Blastproof likes this.
  18. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Is this mastered by Kevin Gray? I have the sundazed release which is why I passed on this one. What's on the other three discs?

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Or perhaps you were unlucky.

But I might try returning mine and try to find another copy, or just bite the bullet and get the Speakers Corner pressing (but at twice the price).

20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have done some comparing this morning and I think the sound of this reissue holds up pretty well against the Island black label. Ironically, my Island copy probably has worse surface noise issues but that will vary from copy to copy. The Island May have a bit more palpable sound staging but detail and clarity are very similar. I’m relearning the Island ultrasonically but don’t expect a miracle. As it stands, between the two I’d preferentially play the new reissue. That surprises me a bit.

GyroSE likes this.
  21. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

OMG, I know. The sound is a bit thin, but appropriate for the music - that remix is just SO out of place. It ruins the continuity and the concept of the record.

22. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

Oh, my bad. Yeah, the vinyl is centered. No issues there.

23. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I am going to be doing the same.

24. BrianD

BrianD Forum Resident

I experienced the same issues with my copy of Flood - shrill, especially on side 3 track 1 and pressing divets on both LPs (side 1 and 3). It's really too bad since where there isn't issues the the record is great and the music is fantastic!

Jimijam and Guitarded like this.
  25. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Looks like the Roy Buchanan is mixed and mastered by Tom Lewis, according to discogs. Didn't see a lot of traffic in here about this one, anyone know how it sounds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.