2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

If you hear distortion it won’t be helped by using a mono switch. And the stylus shape won’t make all the difference, though a more advanced shape helps. It’s probably the cartridge itself.

I’ve mentioned this in my review several pages back, but you’ll need a good tracking cartridge to play these distortion-free. Nearly every user here that cites distortion (and has his equipment listed) has been using a moving coil cartridge, like @Tommyboy. Conversely, nearly every user saying he has not experienced tracking issues uses a moving magnet, like me and @jo234 above.

Fremer uses a Lyra Atlas, and he denied having any tracking issues when I asked him, but I expect the cartridge he used had some bearing on what he heard, and for the worse.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    jo234 and Tommyboy like this.
  2. jo234

jo234 Forum Resident

While that’s correct, I also didn’t experience any tracking problems with a Benz Micro ACE (SL) moving coil cartridge.

snorker likes this.
  3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Good to know. I’ve had problems with my Benz Wood SL on other hot cuts, but haven’t tried it on this.

4. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

On my system,
    On my system, the 2014 mono Rubber Soul sounds just fine, without such a mono switch (or Y adapter)...

Tim Crowley likes this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It seems not in this case. But it often definitely can.

Adam9, Exotiki and snorker like this.
  6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

FWIW, the needledrop samples I posted earlier of "She's A Woman" and "Ticket To Ride" were summed to mono using the mono switch on my phono preamp.

During playback on my system, I had no issues with distortion even in "stereo" mode however.

Cart is a moving magnet, Audio Note IQ3.

Alex Zabotkin and lukpac like this.
  7. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

8. shavedfish

shavedfish Forum Resident

Played the first 13 singles and compared some to the first Pressing UK singles (that were tube cut) - and the settings for volume, treble, bass and midrange were the same on most - with the originals and the 2019! That was something I did not expect! The first pressings had a different BASS sound - better and fuller and vocals had more vibrancy and clarity - however the 2019 pressings sounded real nice anyway...except Paperback Writer/ Rain which had too much high end on the 2019......tonight 1967-1995/6 - just my two cents - set up is Marantz 2270, Dual Turntable with ortofon cartridge and Cerwin Vega Speakers ( I like bass and these rock!)
    PLUS no warped records - Get Back had a scratch a DEEP one (!!!!) strange.....Barnes and Noble (where I purchased) immediately sent another box so I could replace and return a box back with the defective disc

9. EXCEPT for We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper which is horrid.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

It's really not. It's barely any worse than the original which is hardly high definition

Jack and Tim Crowley like this.
  11. No, it totally is. Look at the blocking. There was no digital processing like that in the 60’s and that’s what makes it so bad. It’s a 2019 anachronism on a 1960’s sleeve. It’s obviously a small Jpeg that has been blown up. It is horrible and is an obvious error. I wouldn’t be surprised if replacement sleeves are offered.

ronbow likes this.
  12. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, seems pretty clear that a small thumbnail was blown-up w disastrous results

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ha - good luck on that!

14. Yeah, probably wishful thinking. It’s bad enough to warrant that, though.

chacha likes this.
  15. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yes and yes!

16. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I complained to Amazon France about my box (with about half the records having a slight warp that does not affect play - especially using a record clamp), but ultimately decided not to return the box for a replacement or refund due to the hassle of sending it back, and the fact that a replacement box might have warped records too. Instead, they offered and I accepted a partial refund of 30 euros.

Played a few more today and I still think they sound and look great (but the warps will always annoy me....)

17. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Unfortunately My Amazon.fr box is about 1/3 full of warped records. Did you contact them in English? First time I've had to contact Customer Support for Amazon.fr.

18. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

I was gonna go with Amazon France but thought the hassle would be too much with regard to a return and the language. Amazon.co.uk had it for 155 yesterday for a few hours.

19. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Yeah, I think about that every time I've ordered from Amazon.fr or amazon.co.uk or amazon.de. Sometimes even amazon.co.uk is a bit hard to get reimbursed. I've had to do that only once.

20. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Ah your buying from USA. Yeah, I can imagine. I couldn't be bothered pre-ordering stuff anymore. It always goes down then goes up again, just gotta be patient.

21. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Yes, I contacted them in English, though I know others have done it in French. Use the drop-down at the upper left corner, click on Help, scroll down to Need Additional Help, click on Contact Us (not "Help in English"). This should automatically cue up your recent purchase(s) so that you can click the check-box next to the relevant purchase. There is then a drop-down menu at the bottom with various choices to specify your complaint category in French, but the last one is "Contact us in English". Click on that one. That will give you a button to click to "send an email" in English. They responded to me in English, and we went back and forth a few times. (After the first time it was just via a regular email reply, not through the website.) Good luck!

I wonder if their batch of boxes was exposed to temperature variations causing the warps, or was it just a coincidence that several of us get warped records form Amazon.fr?

Electric Sydney likes this.
  22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I've gone back a few pages but figured I'd just ask: analog or digital source for this box?

23. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I actaully buy from Amazon.fr because they ship double boxed (price is good as well)... Packages like this from Amazon US or other vendors usually come in their original shipping container.

I did figure out you can contact amazon.fr in English so it's all ok!

24. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Yes, Thanks... I figured it out just before you posted. Thanks for your help!

25. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Mine wasn't double boxed. The shrink wrapped set was simply placed in a single cardboard box with some paper stuffing. Same for my order of the Abbey Road set a few months ago. Both times the outer box was very beat up and torn in places, but the inner shrink wrapped sets were unharmed. (That is, the boxes themselves were harmed, but the singles set had many (slightly) warped records, and the AR vinyl set had a noisy defect in the lead-in groove. But neither issue had anything to do with shipping -- I think.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.