2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

In the Blue Note Wow/Flutter-Thread @AnalogJ mentioned that Fremer has background as a stand-up comic:
    Wow and flutter, etc. Tape Speed Issues - Tone Poet / Blue Note 80th anniversary vinyl LP problems.

And this I think could be an explanation for his reaction to the box set. I am going to post what I posted there:

That is an interesting information which actually explains a lot. Comedians are also known for having huge egos and naturally their act (especially in the stand-up world) to an extent consists of tearing people down.

So it may be galling to him that he missed something here and so he now being dismissive (of criticism of the BN releases).

But it is an even better fit for his absurd overreaction to the Beatles singles box. Apparently he had at least a personal, professional relation to the responsible people. And then he tore them down over his interpretation of a credit in the booklet and went on to make up wide-ranging theories about this release. If you think about this as an epsiode of Seinfeld, it just makes total sense.

rollo5, supermd, lukpac and 2 others like this.
  2. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I`m with you on this @Nightswimmer, when I watched Fremer`s unwrapping video, which was my first experience of Fremer, I thought there was something of the comedian about him. I don`t mean for that statement to be derogatory to Fremer in any way, in fact after watching some of his reviews I`ve warmed to him. Although I do stand by my criticism of his printed review of The Beatles singles box.

AnalogJ and Nightswimmer like this.
  3. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

$199.64 on Amazon.

Although I like the cents figure, I’ll wait.

Isamet and AnalogJ like this.
  4. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I rather doubt that the $136.85 discounted price that UDiscover offered the set will be topped anytime soon.......but you never know. Wonder how many sets remain unsold after Christmas?

5. And not only that, but an extremely nice replacement cover was produced by a super talented forum member!

I’m just trying to figure out the best way to print it and attach it to my sleeve!

AnalogJ and Exotiki like this.
  6. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Thanks!: I’m really happy with how it came out and I am really thankful for my contributor with the text.

As for printing i would go to your local Walmart and get it printed as an 8 by 10 but retaining the 7" size. Then cut it so that it becomes a 7" square print

Then get a 7" Outer sleeve and put the print in first. Then the empty sleeve. Then the record in its inner in the back.

That way its totally non-destructive and can be changed on a whim by removing the print from the 7" outer sleeve

EDIT: Here's a file specifically made for this process/purpose: Just download and print this image directly as a 8 by 10 if you wish to show the art off in this way :righton:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  7. fspadafora

fspadafora Forum Resident

Does anyone have somewhere to contact where we can complain about this sleeve?
    Really seems like an error, and for the cost of the set, they should provide a replacement sleeve. We can even save them some work by providing them Brodnation's file!

Lewisboogie and Exotiki like this.
  8. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

If Apple would contact me I would be more than happy to give them the 600 dpi editable psd files!

vinylbeat and fspadafora like this.
  9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Reviews on Amazon UK suggest most of the discs are warped. Plenty one stars. Still £160 (better off spending it on a MFSL one step). Someone hit the nail on the head in asking what happened to Hayes. Now Vinyl Factory this plant appears to be offline apart from special vinyl issues. Maybe if Universal was willing or able to press there (why we don't know) we might get quality product. Optimal appear to have too many problems these days with quality together with MPO and GZ.

10. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Amazon.ca has it for $199.99(Canadian) or about $150.00 USA. However, I'm still not biting in light of all the sound quality and quality control complaints on this site and elsewhere. I'm thinking about resuming collecting the 20th anniversary UK singles, which I started back in 1983, if I can get them at a reasonable price. I've got 15 of the 22 singles, but kind of lost interest.

11. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Just in case for those of you who are waiting for the price to come down. Right now the set is reduced on Amazon Germany from €188,52 to €157,77.
    No idea how long it will stay that way.
    I myself am not interested though.

12. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

Thanks, just made an order.

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I see the udiscover website is listing it’s price now at $229

14. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Maybe they're down to their last remaining copies? Was their heavily discounted price of $136.85 ever topped by any other sellers?

15. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

This set was limited to only 10000.

16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

they haven't had any in a month, they are taking preorders for a shipment due Jan 10th but just changed their price

17. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Thanks. I didn't read anywhere how many it was limited to. Is 10K worldwide or just for the US?

18. Someday, Paul will reveal how he thought doing this was funny...

Arnold Grove likes this.
  19. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Paul: Yeah, it's a joke, because this is like an official bootleg, and bootlegs often have dodgy covers, so we thought we'd stick one in there for a laugh!
    Us: But Paul, these are reissues of the official Beatles UK singles.
    Paul: Oh yeah! Ha ha, oops.
    Us: . . .
    Paul: Shut up! It's the bloody Beatles over-priced, mostly warped Singles Box Set!

PhoffiFozz, drum_cas, Exotiki and 3 others like this.
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Just to let you know that my pal wrote a letter of complaint regarding his warped singles. The pressing plant said that they could do nothing but to his astonishment, he received an email from Universal this morning who informed him that they would be posting out replacements for his five warped 45s.

Alex Zabotkin, fspadafora and supermd like this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Today, I inherited the five surplus singles. Result !

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I finally found a good bargain in a local store and bought it. I guess I was lucky: I only have a few slightly warped discs, and they play fine, so I'm keeping them. As I said when I checked a friend's set, the presentation is a delight. The box, outer and inner sleeves, the labels... It's a great product for fans. The exception being, of course, the incredibly awful reproduction of the Day Tripper sleeve. They really should replace those, it's an embarrassment in an otherwise great looking set.

The records are all clean, shiny and dead silent. The sound: in the early singles I don't particularly enjoy the EQ that replicates the original singles, although I understand the approach and I'm glad they went this route for historic authenticity (I have the mono box for better EQ). The presence and immediacy is there though, you can see this was done to excite kids with very basic turntables. There are a few cases of distortion and sibilance, but less than in my friend's set (maybe my listening gear has something to do with it). Nothing serious really.

And from the mid to the late period singles, the sound gets increasingly better. There are some of these that sound really great.

So I am glad with the product, despite a few shortcomings.

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Quite a few of the 45s in my set were warped too as it turned out. Luckily, Vinyl Flat makes 45 single sized rings and these flat out nicely with this device. I’ve also cleaned them all in the Audio Desk and they’re sounding quite good with my mono cartridge.

So, it’s been a bit of a project for me but worthwhile. I find this to be a really enjoyable set.

Exotiki and Billy Budapest like this.
  24. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere but which of these singles are from stereo tapes. Most, I assume are mono?

Exotiki likes this.
  25. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

All mono except for these in stereo:

-The Ballad of John and Yoko / Old Brown Shoe

-Something / Come Together

-Let It Be (the B-side, You Know My Name, is in mono)

-Free As A Bird / Real Love

sonofjim, SunSon and Exotiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.